E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M3 lip spoiler group buy, received/fitted thread...

10-20-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

M3 lip spoiler group buy, received/fitted thread...

Mine arrived this morning Didn't have time to open it yet, but will hopefully get this on the car at the weekend... will post pics then. Thanks Teddy!
      10-20-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Yeh got mine through too this morning. Will not be able to fit for a while since I'm at uni all week, long days and weekends crammed.

Let us know with the installations and get them pics up.

Teddy informs me that the spoilers should be with everyone this week...postal strike permitting!

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
JonD
Major
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe, M Sport

Hopefully mine has arrived, won't find out until i get home this evening.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I vaguely remember coming across an install guide for the M3 lip spoiler posted by a fellow forum member... think I need to find that before Saturday.
      10-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
For those of you who have not got your contributory piece of downforce adding +0.2BHP...this is what you get...for Sapphire Black of course.

Colour match looks spot on.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

Received mine this morning at the office too. Confused the receptionist wondering what the hell I'd ordered. Was going to nip home and do it at dinner but decided I should take my time this weekend

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
JonD
Major
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe, M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
I vaguely remember coming across an install guide for the M3 lip spoiler posted by a fellow forum member... think I need to find that before Saturday.
It would be handy if you could post a link when you find it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnda View Post
It would be handy if you could post a link when you find it.
This.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I think he means this...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184161

Which includes a very good set of instructions from M3-FAST...

"Had to flex mine to get it to fit properly and follow the boot contours.

To fit it I use some low-tack masking tape to help centralise it. I measure the spoiler and popped a bit of tape bang in the centre.

I then used the BMW badge on ther boot and stuck a strip of tape vertically upwards and stopped just short of where the spoiler attaches.

I also projected two tape lines from the boot shut line (between the tail lights) up ands over the boot lid - this shows where the edges of the spoiler will line up. I then peeled off the tape and got the missus to hold the right hand side of the spoiler to stop it touching the boot lid and sticking prematurely. I got the centre point lined up using the masking tape to help guide me, and then pressed the centre down into position. I then carefully and following the boot contour pressed the spoiler down into position. Once the left side was done, I took the right hand side from the missus and again working from the centre carefully pressed it down. The edges of the spoiler met exactly wth the tape that was projected up from the tailgate light units.

Very difficult to explain in words, lol! But hope you get the jist
"
      10-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think he means this...

To fit it I use some low-tack masking tape to help centralise it. I measure the spoiler and popped a bit of tape bang in the centre.

I then used the BMW badge on ther boot and stuck a strip of tape vertically upwards and stopped just short of where the spoiler attaches.

I also projected two tape lines from the boot shut line (between the tail lights) up ands over the boot lid - this shows where the edges of the spoiler will line up. I then peeled off the tape and got the missus to hold the right hand side of the spoiler to stop it touching the boot lid and sticking prematurely. I got the centre point lined up using the masking tape to help guide me, and then pressed the centre down into position. I then carefully and following the boot contour pressed the spoiler down into position. Once the left side was done, I took the right hand side from the missus and again working from the centre carefully pressed it down. The edges of the spoiler met exactly wth the tape that was projected up from the tailgate light units.

Very difficult to explain in words, lol! But hope you get the jist
"
Imma get me ol' man to help me. Much easier with 2 people.

ALL spoilers have now been posted by 1st Class Recorded Delivery. Hope everyone can get their lips before the postal strike happens!

Last edited by SiKkBaSs; 10-20-2009 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

And here's another DIY with pictures...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109806
      10-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Guys just so you know - I have an M3 lip from Teddy. IMO its a 2 man job and make sure all polish / wax etc is removed from bootlid or it never sticks. I used the no nails tape which is on like glue now but it took me 3 attempts to do it properly, I was in a rush to get it on first 2 attempts !!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
For those of you who have not got your contributory piece of downforce adding +0.2BHP...this is what you get...for Sapphire Black of course.

Colour match looks spot on.
Yep, matches the carpet perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post

hahaha
      10-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Na I checked in the morning when it came. Had a look without taping it down you cheeky bugger

Last edited by SiKkBaSs; 10-20-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #16
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
I think he means this...

Very difficult to explain in words, lol! But hope you get the jist"
Hey, cheers buddy! Remember fitting that like it was yesterday! The only thing you coupe and saloon guys can ignore is the vertical strips I had to 'project' up from the tail lights to give a 'fake' shutline. This was because I had a vert and there were boot edges or shut lines to follow. All you guys need to be doing is making sure the spoiler is nice and central - it should have an equi-distant gap on each side of the boot lid

Looking forward to seeing the pics when done! They finish the car off perfectly IMO
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

Not great pics as it's now dark and started raining but I reversed the back end of her into the garage (I'm talking about the car!) so I could show you.
Didn't use any fitting instructions just made sure it was central and stuck it on. I'm really pleased with the result!
The plan was to wait until the weekend but I got home from work, twiddling my fingers, spoiler kept looking at me, and next thing I was outside fitting it!
Please be warned the tape is the strongest tape I've ever seen! If you get it wrong it could be messy!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #18
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Colsen,... can't see your pictures???

Unwrapped my Jerez Black spoiler last night, and the colour match is perfect

One thing concerns me though, the tape fitted to the back should sit entirely within the recessed area, yes? Well for about 25cm on one side of my spoiler, the tape creeps over the edge of the recess meaning it's sitting proud Is this something to be concerned about? Should I try and trim it with a sharp knife before fitting? Or will it flatten out when I apply pressure to fit it?
      10-21-2009, 04:30 AM   #19
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Hi Colsen,... can't see your pictures???

Unwrapped my Jerez Black spoiler last night, and the colour match is perfect

One thing concerns me though, the tape fitted to the back should sit entirely within the recessed area, yes? Well for about 25cm on one side of my spoiler, the tape creeps over the edge of the recess meaning it's sitting proud Is this something to be concerned about? Should I try and trim it with a sharp knife before fitting? Or will it flatten out when I apply pressure to fit it?
Just a point when I fitted mine by myself (E93), Did as fastbm and marked the artificial shut lines up from the tail lights, the middle of the boot and middle of the spoiler, split the backing tape(Red) in the middle and pulled tape outwards in each direction. Started with a few inches of exposed tape and stuck central checking each end aligned with artificial shuts. Then worked to one end pulling backing tape a few inches at a time aligning spoiler to the boot lip as i went. On completion of one side same again for the other and stand back and admire, job well done.

ps don't forget to clean the surface of wax before attempting to fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #20
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbm View Post
Just a point when I fitted mine by myself (E93), Did as fastbm and marked the artificial shut lines up from the tail lights, the middle of the boot and middle of the spoiler, split the backing tape(Red) in the middle and pulled tape outwards in each direction. Started with a few inches of exposed tape and stuck central checking each end aligned with artificial shuts. Then worked to one end pulling backing tape a few inches at a time aligning spoiler to the boot lip as i went. On completion of one side same again for the other and stand back and admire, job well done.

ps don't forget to clean the surface of wax before attempting to fit.
Thanks for the assistance!

Do you think the tape sitting proud along one side on the back of my spoiler will likely cause a problem with fitting?
      10-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #21
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the assistance!

Do you think the tape sitting proud along one side on the back of my spoiler will likely cause a problem with fitting?
I would trim it first
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #22
e92_alex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Received... Fitting.. Dunno yet
Appreciate 0