E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Sticky brakes normal or what

04-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

Sticky brakes normal or what

Does anyone experience this? Feels different from any other cars I've driven. When I let off the brake pedal a little the car would not move until j get to a certain point and the car would lurch or do a small jump. Say for example parking and I'm trying to get close to the wall. I cant move it forward smoothly. I have to do few small jumps bc the brakes are sticky. Car has new pads with few thousand miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
To me it sounds like your describing

Start Assist
The start-off assistant prevents the vehicle from moving unexpectedly, based on the
degree of incline, as the driver releases the brake pedal and moves to the accelerator
pedal (ie. when pulling away on a hill).
The “start assist” function is accomplished as follows:
• Gradient (degree of incline) is determined by the longitudinal-acceleration sensor
located in the DSC control module.
• Based on the degree of incline, the necessary braking torque or engine torque is calculated
by the DSC module.
• Brake pressure needed to hold the vehicle is momentarily maintained (approx 2 sec).
• Brake pressure is reduced as soon as the available engine torque is sufficient to
move the vehicle or accelerator is not depressed within approx. 2 sec.
The function can be activated when driving forward or backwards and is deactivated
when the parking brake is applied and can not be activated if the transmission is in neutral.
Note: If no move is made to pull away within approx. 2 seconds of the brake
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Sounds more to me, a NIC issue....Neutral Idle Control.

NIC disengages our diffs to improve fuel economy.

When coming to a stop, right before a full stop, you'll feel a slight "push." This is the NIC disengaging the diffs and because you don't have the drive-train and engine slowing you down, you feel a "push" as the momentum of the car will take over.

When you start off, the diffs will re-engage and you'll feel a slight "tug." This is caused by the torque from the engine/drive-train. It's like shifting into first in a manual car from a dead stop without blipping the throttle and slowly releasing the clutch....dumping the clutch without stalling (if that was possible, maybe with a very high horsepower car).

You can have the NIC coded out, however gas mileage increases. Newer software has helped alleviate this problem in my car, however it's still present.....I've just gotten used to it.

Start off assist is more for when you're on an incline to prevent your car from rolling back.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
kevin8086
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

im experiancing the same thing OP. It may be the start assist activating even when not on a hill but not sure. it happens to me on level surface, the brakes stick for about 2 seconds then the car moves on its own. I thought there was something wrong with the brakes sticking so im on here searching for an answer.
Appreciate 0