E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > SLS

01-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #45
Hope
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 435i

This is my next car, please will you PM me when you're selling it (look forward to your PM in 2 weeks ).

I promised HugeHead I'd buy his M3 too oh well, might aswell start building the 3 car garage while I'm young

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #46
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjones1209 View Post
Mate you've raised the bar here big time! Every time I see you you seem to have swapped cars about 3 times! I didn't get to see the xkrs or the 911 turbo or the Maserati! But I really hope to see this before it gets sacked off! Looks truly awesome but I do wonder what you'll upgrade to next time....Ferrari, Lambo? Both of which I guess are not to your taste. Aston Martin is possibly a backward steps from here. A v10 R8 maybe or a Bentley? You may be running out of options.

You up for the Manx this summer? See if you can keep up with 335i!? Ha ha
Well Ricky....you need to make more of an effort to come out more

I don't honestly think I'm interested in a Ferrari or Lambo after this...Aventador / F12 excepted (both of which will be out of my price range for quite some time), I also see them a bit of a backwards step. Never been a fan of the R8 and I think I preferred my Jag to an Aston.

In all honesty, it could be F-Type Jag when the fast ones come out (but thats mid 2014 at least for the coupe) or the new (as yet unreleased 991) 911 Turbo when they depreciate a bit from their likely £130k list price. But, unless something truly awful happens or the car consistently lets me down, I'm pretty sure that I'll have this car right through summer and possibly beyond. You will get to see this one Ricky and yes, I'm up for Manx and will do my level best to keep your 335i in sight

(of my rearview mirror)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
I would probably put £50 in that he will be in an F-Type next year/later this year whenever they come out.

Wether he keeps this until then or not who knows, he's an enigma the way he does all this stuff. I wouldn't want to be out of an SLS anytime soon unless you were forced.

I'm sure he will be on after his supper to put us all straight.
My point exactly....if the car ends up being a dog or I lose my job or I smash it up or....anything bad really. Otherwise, I hope to keep it a while with the only possible options (circumstances allowing) being those listed above. I know full well theres nowhere really to go so will enjoy this car...and thats easily done when it drives, looks and feels so damn good!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #47
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

599 GTO

Would you mind letting me know how much the garage conversion is costing you please? So i have a ballpark figure.

I have the same garage when i saw your xkr photos. I need to remove that middle pillar of bricks and try to mount the garage door further forward if possible, need to to get extra length as well as width.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #48
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Andrew, the car looks stunning and I am really pleased you are enjoying it 'so far'...

I always enjoy reading your reviews but even more I enjoy reading your reasons/decision making in the purchase process. I have the same approach, look narrow down to the one I want, check the state of the market, set my price below this by 'x' and see who bites and wants the deal.

Sounds like you will get the minor niggles fixed soon so then you can relax and enjoy the car. Look forward to reading how you get on with this one.
      01-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #49
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
599 GTO

Would you mind letting me know how much the garage conversion is costing you please? So i have a ballpark figure.

I have the same garage when i saw your xkr photos. I need to remove that middle pillar of bricks and try to mount the garage door further forward if possible, need to to get extra length as well as width.

For a 335i??

£2.5k all-in for the new RSJ, the brickwork around it as needed and an extra wide (electric) upwards-sectional garage door. 2 days work apparently.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #50
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
What about an FF
      01-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #51
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
For a 335i??

£2.5k all-in for the new RSJ, the brickwork around it as needed and an extra wide (electric) upwards-sectional garage door. 2 days work apparently.
Thanks Andrew gives me a starting point to know if i'm being bummed or not

My D fits in easy already but might need it extending a little depending on whats next.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #52
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:

Thanks mate....I'm having it detailed on Saturday and, if I can get it in my garage, my detailer is doing at my house all day and you're welcome to pop round

But, if I can't get it through the garage doors, it's off to Nottingham to the guy's unit....although I'm more than happy to pop up there with you if you fancy giving me a run out in one of your beasts?

(Garage problem is short term...I currently have two doors and a centre pillar which makes the two opening very narrow. Next week, the pillar is being knocked out, new RSJ put in and a new BIG door put in place instead )
I'll give you a call Saturday Morning and see where it is you may have to go in the Car with the back to front wheels thou as I think I may have sold the GT-R to a guy off the GT-R forum
      01-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #53
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
What about an FF
It looks shit....and if I'm honest, it'll still have crap Fiat parts much like my Maserati did.

Quote:
Thanks Andrew gives me a starting point to know if i'm being bummed or not

My D fits in easy already but might need it extending a little depending on whats next.

cheers
Ah....correction duly noted (D, not I). Consider me told

Oh, and as for 599 GTO....too expensive and see my point above - same will probably apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
I'll give you a call Saturday Morning and see where it is you may have to go in the Car with the back to front wheels thou as I think I may have sold the GT-R to a guy off the GT-R forum
The car does (just) fit into the garage (and access much easier than you'd think once in there....the doors take very little width to open) so will definitely be home Saturday (bar picking the E up in the morning). Give us a bell when you want to come just to make sure I haven;t been dragged out for anything!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #54
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Sex

best way to describe that car.

Its not particularly pretty to look at, but just watching it stirs something inside that excites

Love the noise this car makes.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #55
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Beautiful car - congratulations

Having been in quite a few super cars recently I have to agree that the feeling of acceleration in one of these is about equal to a 911 turbo, and pretty much quicker than anything else inc 458 and GTR etc. The only car that was quicker was the Aventador, but you can't really compare them as there is no way you could use that as an every day car.

The SLS also has a better interior IMO than all the Ferraris / lambos etc.

The Merc is a great choice, I can totally see why you chose it Palmnuts.

Happy motoring!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #56
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
The car does (just) fit into the garage (and access much easier than you'd think once in there....the doors take very little width to open) so will definitely be home Saturday (bar picking the E up in the morning). Give us a bell when you want to come just to make sure I haven;t been dragged out for anything!
Hopefully catch up with you saturday then Andrew I've sent you a pm
      01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #57
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Car is stunning ....Note to self: Must work harder
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #58
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

What a corker!
      01-17-2013, 03:40 AM   #59
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

It's topics like this that seriously make me consider dropping the salary and consulting for a few years by the way..
      01-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #60
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Love the car Andrew.. congrats!! The SLS is such a beast
      01-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #61
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP / R56 JCW

Woooow! Congrats on the new car, so so nice! Love reading through your reviews, well written, detailed and honest opinions whether it be good or bad! Enjoy your ride!!
      01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #62
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the really nice comments chaps!

You know what, I think I'm suffering from some kind of delayed shock with the slow realisation of what I have just bought. This isn't just 'another one' of my cars - it really was a dream and in that respect, it feels very different owning this car.

I remember when I first saw one properly at the AMG facility in Affalterbach three years ago - my other half and I had photos taken next to and in the example they had on display and it was such an unattainable dream at the time! It's amazing what a bit (!) of depreciation and cheap finance can do to realise a dream that, back in the day, may never have been achievable until too late (when both me AND the car are too old for it to be relevant in my life).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
It's topics like this that seriously make me consider dropping the salary and consulting for a few years by the way..
Remember Dave....I am but a wage slave. With the right attitude to work and hard graft (as well as a bit of luck and opportunity I have to admit), it is possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafik View Post
Woooow! Congrats on the new car, so so nice! Love reading through your reviews, well written, detailed and honest opinions whether it be good or bad! Enjoy your ride!!
Well, if other people are like me (although most probably aren't!), you don;t ant to read some one-sided, biased story on just the good bits. Rarely are things ever perfect (although this SLS currently comes bloody close!) - I find it as much interesting learning what isn't and how people deal with it!

Last edited by Palmnuts; 01-17-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #63
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Heh - The little "drives" part on your profile is a sight to behold mate..

I'm at a crossroads at the mo. Have an opportunity to jump the salary up but at a very volatile time, saving for first property with Naomi now. But is there ever a good time? Tangeant though. Maybe I'll post my musings in off topic at some point

Rgds
Dave
      01-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #64
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Lovely car. Enjoy mate. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #65
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm afraid not very good news today....in fact, I'm honestly mortified.

I dropped my car off at MB Milton Keynes who are fixing what I thought was my faulty subwoofer. If you remember, I noticed the B&O audio system sounded poor before I bought the car, with an inability to reproduce any decent levels of bass without distorting. Both the head technician and I agreed it sounded like a blown sub and a replacement was ordered, to be fitted next week.

However, whilst at the dealer today I listened to another SLS there which also had the B&O fitted. It sounded just the same as mine ; turn the bass up to more than 3 (out of 10!), turn the volume up so it's loud'ish (but not excessively so - I'd say still under 50% of what it would go to) and all you hear is the speaker vibrating. Note, this is not trim vibrating - it's like you can hear the cone moving rather than hearing the bass.

As I said, I'm mortified....mainly because it's now unlikely that a replacement subwoofer will fix a 'problem' that now doesn't seem to be a 'problem' - with two different cars sounding almost identical, it's seems thats how it's been designed and signed off. But this I can't understand....how can B&O and AMG sign off such a sound and how can there be no other complaints about it on any forum, even the US ones where they seem to have very high car-audio standards?

I appreciate sound quality is very personal and subjective but everyone that has heard it at the dealer has agreed - it sounds poor. My other half also thinks the same and she's not the fussy type. I could blame the fact I'm using a USB with MP3 files but they're recorded to 320kb and sound absolutely fine in every other car. The problem is song dependant, and if you're playing R&B or dance music with fast and deep bass requirements, it's at its worst. But the ability to produce nice deep bass without distortion is no problem in any other car and even my girlfriends fathers' new C220CDi, fitted with Mercedes' most basic, unbranded audio system doesn't have this problem. The HK in our E coupe is in another league (lovely car that and it's doing over 40mpg!!....expect a full write up soon!).

So, what to do? Many will think I'm crazy and flame me for owning an SLS and and just moaning about the audio system. And maybe they're right...but, right or wrong, the enjoyment of listening to my music through a good audio system is a very important part of car ownership to me (and one which, Maserati excepted, I've been able to do in every car I've had for the last 15 years). Some will say just get rid of the car if it makes me that unhappy but let's be honest, that option isn't really a sensible to do and neither do I want to do that....it's not often I walk away from an excuse to change a car but, this problem aside, there is no other car at any value that I'd rather own. Normally, owning a car that is such a dream would be an immensely lucky position to be in...for me currently, its the cause of considerable anxiousness

So, I'm faced with the situation of the problem being 'just how it is', which is something I just can't get my head around given the B&O brand, the well documented development and huge cost of the option. But if this is the case, I guess I'm looking for someone with expertise in this area to give reason for why it would sound like it does (I appreciate this may be difficult just from my description but hopefully you understand what it's doing), and if it's understood why it's demonstrating these characteristics, hopefully there is an (aftermarket?) fix for it?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #66
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Sounds like there is too much power going to the sub and its maxing out long before the volume level is too high. Is there a separate amp in the car, if so screw the gain to the sub back a bit so it takes higher overall volume before it gets to its limits.
Appreciate 0