E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Apple tv - worth it?

12-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Apple tv - worth it?

I'm thinking of getting apple tv but wondered would it be worth it?

I've got quite a few DVD rips on my pc, would I be able to watch these from it?

I also have an iPad and iPhone so am guessing the wireless integration would be handy

Also does anyone know what benefits there are from jail breaking the device?

I'd welcome comments from anyone with first hand experience of the second gen apple tv, thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have 1st gen Apple TV and hardly use it despite it having all my iTunes synced to it. I don't see the point of the 2nd gen as all it is is an Airport for your mac, iPod or iPad. But I may be missing the point!

All your DVDs will need to be converted for use in iTunes before they can be played on ATV as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I looked at one as I have loads of downloded films but it won't play avi files without converting them which is too much hasstle. I wanted to be able to just connect an external hard drive or memory stick and have it play them.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I looked at one as I have loads of downloded films but it won't play avi files without converting them which is too much hasstle. I wanted to be able to just connect an external hard drive or memory stick and have it play them.
There are a number of devices out there that do just what you want for much less money than the Apple TV (which itself isn't expensive)

If you fancy a few more features look at the Boxee Box as well.
      01-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Hom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
You can jailbreak it, then install XBMC which plays pretty much everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

If you have an iPad 2 or iPhone 4s it's a nice device to have.

For example we just got back and my youngest wanted to watch the gruffalo so i just loaded it up on the iplayer on the iPad and used airplay to get it on the TV.

iplayer, 4od and demand 5 all work with airplay. itv currently doesn't, unless you mirror but the screen isn't filled this way.

We both airplay the videos taken on our 4s phones and i use it to stream home movies from our Sony HD Cam. I do stream some of our favourite films but i tend to only rip and keep our favourite ones and we rent the rest. £2.50 for SD, 99p for a some and i either buy the DVD and rip if we like the film or purchase it from iTunes.

We do store a load of TV series in iTunes to stream, it took me a while to rip them all, but it's nice to have them available at any time.

So great device, especially if you have an iPad 2 or iPhone 4s to make use of airplay. Good to rentals and nice to have all your rips available to play. They stream from my macbook air and i use apple remote to wake my laptop upstairs so i don't even have to get up to turn my computer on.

There are alternatives that are more flexible out of the box, i hear boxee and WD smart book ?? are good. You can also jailbreak apple tv too.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Depending on your tv it may be worth looking at the quality issue as it does not output full hd. I think 720p is the highest resolution it can deal with. This has stopped me from getting it and Im an apple whore.

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv57 View Post
Depending on your tv it may be worth looking at the quality issue as it does not output full hd. I think 720p is the highest resolution it can deal with. This has stopped me from getting it and Im an apple whore.
Yes true only 720p

It is capable of doing 1080p but i believe it was held back because iTunes doesn't have full HD content yet. Or at least it didn't at the time of launch.

Apple are waiting for the movie industry to offer full HD 1080p for rental and download. I don't know why it's taking them so long.

It is possible that when iTunes finally does offer 1080p we may see an update for the current Apple TV 2.

More likely, we are going to see a new Apple TV device this year with the latest dual core A5 CPU that will handle and make use of 1080p. For now you have to jailbreak to get 1080p.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

ATV is a nice bit of kit (I have the ATV1) but by far the simplest way I've come across for viewing stored content is the WD TV Live. Wired streaming or via a USB storage device and it will play anything you can throw at it.

And don't forget the PS3 is an excellent media device too.
Appreciate 0