E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > SWS-8 vs. SWS-8x

10-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xiT

SWS-8 vs. SWS-8x

(No, not 8xi but 8 vs 8x!)

I believe the original SWS-8 are the silver cone version, which the 8x are black. Does any have any experience with any difference between the two? I have the opp. to get SWS-8 (silver cone) cheap.

They actually look a little different; the outer ring looks different and the size of the surround on the 8X looks larger.

SWS-8:

SWS-8X:

They'll be run in mono on the big channel of a XD700/5.

Thanks for any feedback!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

The pic of the 8x is showing the included front trim but it cannot be used in our application.
Besides that I know nothing about the non x version
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

They are the same.

You should not run them off the mono channel of the 700/5. You should run them off the stereo channels of a 600/6. Do not run them as midbass - there are better options and they don't do much above 100 Hz very accurately.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep

I fell into a XD700/5 so that's what I got. Since it's 2 ohm stable and these are 4 ohm, the plan is to run them in parallel.

These seem to be a highly common replacement for the underseat. I will not be adding a rear sub (its a wagon, I use the WHOLE trunk) so these were my first choice.

Do you have other advice? I currently have a XD700/5, an MS-8 and a Vibe Slick coax for a center channel.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

What, you explain how you're going to ignore the advice I gave you, and then you want more? ~

There are only three replacements for the underseat - the SWS (needs a ring spacer), the Jehnert (ditto), and the Audio System. The SWS have been in production for the longest period of time and have the most posts about them for this reason, and they have a ton of low bass. We sell them all the time, BUT because we are responsible retailers who actually add value, we tell everyone what we told you. We do not recommend that you run them in mono. We do not recommend that you run them with more than 150WPC. We do not recommend that you expect much midbass accuracy from them, and if everything you listen to has a bass guitar and an acoustic drum kit, we will strongly urge you to get the Jehnert. We did it that way when they were all that was available (they were in my car for a long time) but they are not all that is available now.

Let me say it another way. Sell the 700/5 and get the 600/6 and get 2-ohm woofers. That way you still get stereo separation in the midbass.

Oh, and as a fellow wagon owner, you could add a sub and not touch the trunk space. Just takes work.

Great car, BTW.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep

With all due respect, the advice wasn't asked for to begin with. But thanks.

I fully understand the disadvantages of summing the sloppy under-seats but frankly I've chosen this path due to cost and time.

I'm no audiophile, but I know I'll hear deficiencies in the result. I have access to a 31 band analyzer, so once I get everything in, I'll spend a lazy Saturday morning tuning the EQ on the MS-8 and call it a day. I DO know I'll have a pretty awesome sounding system for the price and that's all I'm willing to invest in this at the moment. I move into a new house on the 24th and have other priorities.

I appreciate the advice and if I get the gumption I'll build a subbox for the left side of the trunk, but for now this whole getup is running me less than $700 (yeah!) and some of the good bits can be reused and the rest have good value as resale.

Edit: my buddy built a CnC machine and is itching to make things.. enter the rings.

Edit#2: yeah, the wagon is an awesome car.

Last edited by everlast; 10-16-2012 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
For what its worth, I'm running my SWS-8's in parallel from a 750.1 Kicker Amp. Its fine for my usage because I can't differentiate the stereo channels on base frequencies anyways, at least not in a car environment. Also, just like you I did it because cost reasons, as my car already came with the amp when I bought it, I just replaced the Alpine 12inch Type R sub in a box that came with the car, with the SWS-8's in the factory sub locations.
      10-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep

Cool, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
With all due respect, the advice wasn't asked for to begin with. But thanks.

I fully understand the disadvantages of summing the sloppy under-seats but frankly I've chosen this path due to cost and time.
BTDT with the SWS running in both stereo and mono. I ran them mono with approx. 250W going to each of them for about 6 months but was never satisfied. Switched back to stereo and even though they were only getting about 100W each, the sound was much better and the stereo separation really was noticeable. I don't have the SWS anymore because just like VP said, they suck at midbass. No matter how much you try to EQ them to make them play midbass, they won't do it.
      10-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep

Well, if I run into that (which it sounds like I will) I'll run the 5th channel as the center, run the other four as the fronts and underseats and the rear will (as before) be run off the ms-8.

I'm just excited to try it out. The seller of the SWS-8 is checking on shipping Friday.. I move next week so the week or two after that I could be back at playing with car stuff!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
black335isport
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Let me say it another way. Sell the 700/5 and get the 600/6 and get 2-ohm woofers. That way you still get stereo separation in the midbass.
Are you saying that SWS 8xi (2 ohm) are better suited for JL XD600/6 than SWS 8x (4 ohm version)?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep

I think the xd600/6 is 2ohm capable so having two 2ohms would be the most efficient way to run. In my case, since I have a 5 channel, I will be running two 4ohms in parallel for efficiency but I lose the stereo subs.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
black335isport
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
I think the xd600/6 is 2ohm capable so having two 2ohms would be the most efficient way to run. In my case, since I have a 5 channel, I will be running two 4ohms in parallel for efficiency but I lose the stereo subs.
My intention is not to hijack the initial thread... maybe I should create a new one for this topic. On this forum in particular I see that the opinions are split between JL XD600/6 with SWS 8x (4-ohm) vs SWS 8xi (2-ohm).

If anybody cares to explain in details what is the advantage of one vs. the other I would really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep

Simply put, a 2 ohm driver allow twice the current to flow through, ie, has half the resistance electrically. This generally means that it will be "more efficient" as amplifiers, if capable, generate more power with 2 ohm speakers than 4 ohm.

However, every amp has a low limit: JL Audio are 2 ohm capable. You couldn't run a 1 ohm driver, it would exceed the amps capabilities and likely blow the output stage.

If you run two 4 ohm speakers in parallel (meaning both are hooked up to the same + and -) you can imagine you'll get more sound (two speakers worth!). The volume will be identical, but your amp will be seeing a 2 ohm load.

If you wire them in series (+ to +, - to - on the other speaker and a wire running between the other unattached speaker leads) you'll notice the sound output would drop considerably compared to one hooked up normally. This is because the current is divided between the speakers. The amp will actually only see 8 ohms at this point and be inefficient.

I run a pair of 2 ohm subs in series in my E30 on a 4 ohm capable amp, and it works really well. It was a bunch of free equipement and its just another way to make the best of what you've got.

I'm going to run two 4 ohm speakers in parallel (which = 2 ohm load, good efficiency for my amp) but it will be mono.

Running the 8xi drivers means you could run them individually, 2 ohms each on two channels in order to get efficient, stereo bass. You'd need a 2 ohm capable amp too.

Considering everyone seems to say these speakers DON'T do midbass well, I'll likely cross them over a little lower, run more midbass through my doors and likely never notice.

Not ideal, but ideally suited for my needs and budget.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why don't you work a trade over on diyma for the 600/6
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep

Mostly because I'm in Canada and shipping to / from here sucks billygoat.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
BTDT with the SWS running in both stereo and mono. I ran them mono with approx. 250W going to each of them for about 6 months but was never satisfied. Switched back to stereo and even though they were only getting about 100W each, the sound was much better and the stereo separation really was noticeable. I don't have the SWS anymore because just like VP said, they suck at midbass. No matter how much you try to EQ them to make them play midbass, they won't do it.
-- Sorry.

If you dont mind me asking, other than the SWS-8Xi, what would you suggest running on the two sub channels of a JL XD600/6? @ 2ohms I figure 100watts per channel would do the trick pretty nicely. But if you have other suggestions that will work with this amount of power, for roughly the same price, more efficiently... I'd like suggestions! Also if you can tell me where to purchase? I've been looking for an online retailer of Jenherts for a few days now just to get specs and general rough pricing and haven't come up with much, other than 'pm this guy or that guy' - which I didn't want to do just yet since I need about another week or so till i'm ready to pull the trigger and purchase all these components.

Also, will you pleaseee make me a set of door speaker adapters? I hear yours are famous but you wont produce em' anymore! phooey!
Appreciate 0