E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Trade my e46 m3 for 335i coupe? Need Opinions::THIS IS NOT A M3 VS 335i WAR::

01-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #67
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Good luck with the new car!
      01-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #68
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjappo View Post
I did try to sell my car to just break even with my loan but people thought it was too high so I didn't want to wait any longer. I had it up for sale for about 2 months. The $3000 balance carry over is after the tradein meaning I'm getting $15233 for the car but I owe $18k so the balance will carry over. The car is 27500 and plus $3000 is $30500 plus 450 doc fee, 299 tax/tag and plus 6.5% tax.

Also, the main deciding factor of my decision last night was because I will be using the car daily to go to work 80% of the time meaning if I kept the m3, I should be tracking 20% of the time and daily 20% of the time which is not what my main purpose for the car now.

The car does not have active steering but it does have the auto rear sunshade I believe.

It's gonna be sad putting the car back to stock tonight and getting ready for my trip to trade it in tomorrow. Atleast, I know I will be having those parts leftover to sell and recover money with.

Really excited but still sorta scared on the outcome will be. I am pretty confident that the car will satisfy. I'm just hoping it treats me good just like this m3 did.

Keep posted =)
Okay, I got the impression from your first post that you had a loan balance on the M3 of $3k. An $18k loan balance on a 9-year-old car that’s worth about $15k changes everything. I suspect the current rate on your M3 loan isn’t 2.9% either. Given this additional information, I think the deal you’re getting on the CPO’d 2007 335i sounds pretty good.

Also, it will probably cost between $300-$500/month or more to keep your E46 M3 properly maintained as you surpass 100k miles (speaking as an owner of a 2000 E46 3-Series with 115k miles and a 2004 E46 M3 with 24k miles). That's when you'll be looking at new struts, clutch, brake rotors, radiator, control arm bushings, RTABs, transmission mounts, engine mounts, etc. That's in addition to the regular maintainance (Inspections I & II, tires, oil changes, brake pads, etc.). The cost of owning an E46 M3 is definitely something else to consider when making your decision...

Last edited by Outlaw 06; 01-22-2010 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #69
itsjappo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
Okay, I got the impression from your first post that you had a loan balance on the M3 of $3k. An $18k loan balance on a 9-year-old car that’s worth about $15k changes everything. I suspect the current rate on your M3 loan isn’t 2.9% either. Given this additional information, I think the deal you’re getting on the CPO’d 2007 335i sounds pretty good.

Also, it will probably cost between $300-$500/month or more to keep your E46 M3 properly maintained as you surpass 100k miles (speaking as an owner of a 2000 E46 3-Series with 115k miles and a 2004 E46 M3 with 24k miles). That's definitely something else to consider when your making your decision...
This is exactly what concerns me the most. I mean I am mechanically inclined and I do all my work on the car. I do maintenance way before its due and are very meticulous with my cars but just the fact that I still have 5 years to pay it off at 5.9% owing 18k is very scary to think about the age, miles, and without warranty. This is definately the main reason to even think about getting a newer car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #70
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
This is exactly what concerns me the most. I mean I am mechanically inclined and I do all my work on the car. I do maintenance way before its due and are very meticulous with my cars but just the fact that I still have 5 years to pay it off at 5.9% owing 18k is very scary to think about the age, miles, and without warranty. This is definately the main reason to even think about getting a newer car.
Let me give you some advise, since I was in your situation in may of last year, when I picked up my 3007 335I. CPO is rubbish! If you want the peace of mind, then fine. Heres the deal. I am as meticulous as you when it comes to manitenance, and the following things will need to be done to the 38K 335I once you pick it up.

1. Trans fluid flush (dealer won't touch it, so do a search with my name for info about how to go about this)
2. Brake fluid flush
3. differential fluid flush
4. power steering fluid flush
5 coolant flush

These things aren't covered under the CPO waranty, and you need to jump on them ASAP. I bought all the fluids online, and had my local VDub mechainc do the work for me. Other than that, the 335I is a great car! Biggest thing for me so far is the torque, and gas milage. I've been to one track event so far, and it was sweet! Also check to see if you have an oil cooler in the car, since its a 2007. Mine didn't, so I'm going with heavy duty oils for my track days, since, my turbos basically shut down due to over heating the last time

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #71
itsjappo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Let me give you some advise, since I was in your situation in may of last year, when I picked up my 3007 335I. CPO is rubbish! If you want the peace of mind, then fine. Heres the deal. I am as meticulous as you when it comes to manitenance, and the following things will need to be done to the 38K 335I once you pick it up.

1. Trans fluid flush (dealer won't touch it, so do a search with my name for info about how to go about this)
2. Brake fluid flush
3. differential fluid flush
4. power steering fluid flush
5 coolant flush

These things aren't covered under the CPO waranty, and you need to jump on them ASAP. I bought all the fluids online, and had my local VDub mechainc do the work for me. Other than that, the 335I is a great car! Biggest thing for me so far is the torque, and gas milage. I've been to one track event so far, and it was sweet! Also check to see if you have an oil cooler in the car, since its a 2007. Mine didn't, so I'm going with heavy duty oils for my track days, since, my turbos basically shut down due to over heating the last time

Cheers!

The brake fluid flush has been done. The others don't show on the history report. How much did it cost you to get all those things done? I mean I can do those things myself if I really wanted to. Also, I researched about oil coolers and people here statedt that any 6spd 335i that has sports package has oil cooler. Please let me know asap because I'm getting ready to make a trip tomorrow to pick the car up. I don't want any surprises. Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #72
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

smart man!!
Quote:
ok guys. just got home from a test drive of a 335i that's pretty much the same as I'm looking to pick up. Here are my impressions:

Car is quiet (not "quite" but actually "quiet") fast.

-There's a very small hint of lag and next thing you know that your past 60.

-Sport package is nice. Car felt solid and crisp as far as suspension response. It felt stiff but not harsh or too mushy. It did feel bigger but not so bad.

Now here are my impressions when I got back in my car:

-My car steering actually felt less responsive than the 335i. I was shocked. It felt like theres a slight more lag before it would do what I wanted with the steering.

-This thing really should've had more low end torque because its screaming so loud just to get it going.

-Very harsh even the slightest flaws on the road

At this point, I am falling in love with the 335i and I will be picking it up this weekend =) It does everything I want it to do but doing it quietly and subtle. Just hope it treats me good and not have so much problems. Either way, its CPO and will have warranty. I'm super excited now.

Thanks for all your help guys. All inputs were helpful and did point out the differences between the two. As with all things, everyone has their own preferences and needs and in this case, the 335i met mine. Overall, LOVE BOTH CARS! I'll miss my M3 and thats for sure, but the new 335i will do just fine=)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #73
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
newer is better unless youre into collecting classic cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #74
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

All 6spd manual cars are SUPPOSED to have oil coolers. But some left the factory without one. Hey, BMW was rushing to fill orders in the first year and made a few mistakes. Have the dealer show you the oil cooler. You should be able to see it from inside the front passenger wheel well (front side).

I traded my e46 for a 2008 335i and don't regret it for a second. An e46 is a bit quicker on the track, but that n54 engine has unbelievable torque that really makes it faster in real world driving. And the extra room is nice too.

Finally, if you are worried about the warranty affects of the flash-software upgrades, look into the Dinan Stage 2 upgrade. It is expensive at 2k, but it is super smooth, HUGE torque, and comes with 2 year warranty when installed on a CPO car. I have it an I love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #75
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

i'm the same way... old is just old too me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee212 View Post
newer is better unless youre into collecting classic cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #76
itsjappo
Lieutenant
Rep

i can tell if the car has oil coolers from the engine bay pictures right? i mean i can tell if im there personally looking for it but the thing is i want to make sure of things before i drive from 500 miles to get this car. that's what i will be doing this weekend. let me know ASAP. lol so very excited.

i just got home from work and now i have to begin taking off all my mods on the m3 and put it back to stock before trip tomorrow morning =)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #77
Nisei2ndgen
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 335i

Quote:
They extended warranty on an 01 m3? I know of all the recalls which my call has already gone in for and serviced but where did you here this from? Any info? Thanks
Yea, the SA that told me this was at BMW of Monrovia, used to be Assael BMW. Not sure if he's still there as I now use South Bay BMW but his name was Rick. Early examples of M3 had a high compression so failure rate was high or something. Said anything to do with the engine and transmission was supposedly extended to 100k.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #78
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei2ndgen View Post
Yea, the SA that told me this was at BMW of Monrovia, used to be Assael BMW. Not sure if he's still there as I now use South Bay BMW but his name was Rick. Early examples of M3 had a high compression so failure rate was high or something. Said anything to do with the engine and transmission was supposedly extended to 100k.
BMW recalled most 2001-2003 M3’s for faulty connecting rod bearings that tended to fail at engine speeds between 7,600 rpm and the 8,000 rpm redline. The warranty for internal engine oil lubricated parts on model year 2001, 2002 and 2003 M3 Coupes and Verts (with S54 engines) was extended to 6 years/100,000 miles, whichever came first.

The OP’s M3 is a 2001, so his extended warranty timed out a few years ago. FYI, the BMW Technical Service Bulletin that addresses this recall is SI B 11 04 04.
      01-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #79
itsjappo
Lieutenant
Rep

yea i heard about that but either way even though I'm only at 68k, the car is 10yrs old =(. I finally just finished stripping my car out of its mods and took for a finaly fun drive. a quick one but man I'm gonna miss this car but at the same time, I am excited for the new one and I'm sure it has alot of capabilities so got alot of things to look forward to.

Just looked at the pics of the car again and it does have the oil cooler. I can tell by the adapter plate and hoses running in the engine bay. =)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #80
ulo
Registered
Rep
Drives: e46

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3287721026.html e46 for trade email me hawkfiya@gmail.com
Appreciate 0