E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > REVIEW: M3 strut brace on BMW 335i

06-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #67
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
If wasn't for you I wasn't even going to know about these nuts and as usually I was going to make my home made 1M brace be bigger hack job. Thank you! My weekend went easier because I consult you. Now about the price:
I will say it again, BMW is overprized brand, nothing special, every day, common vehicle, and on top they think M is sacred hence the price. I have connections with fee parts suppliers in the area, so not shops or parts stores, but suppliers that move parts from the manufacturer to shops and auto parts stores and found out that similar nuts for other brands are in $1.5 to $3 range. The M3 strut bar is $400 �� and I wouldn't consider it even if BMW sends it to my house with a technician to install it incuded.
Any idea on the size of the nuts, for us other guys wishing to try and source a few also without paying the crazy $9 a nut!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #68
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Any idea on the size of the nuts, for us other guys wishing to try and source a few also without paying the crazy $9 a nut!!
Is m8 sleeve (barrel) nut with 13mm head.
here are some ideas:
http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.ph...(update)/page2
http://www.securitysafetyproducts.co...mm-10-pack.php
but honestly, is not worth the husle. I have access to lathe and other type of nuts but decided not to experiment because damaging the camber plates was going to cost me more.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #69
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Can this kit be installed on any N52 engine E90 as well?
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2795109/...TX8aApiC8P8HAQ
Been thinking about buying the whole kit from ecstuning. They include some shiny nuts...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #70
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangorang View Post
Can this kit be installed on any N52 engine E90 as well?
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2795109/...TX8aApiC8P8HAQ
Been thinking about buying the whole kit from ecstuning. They include some shiny nuts...
Yes but not worth the money. The prices on most M3 parts went up. Look at my DIY M3 brace. It cost me like $150. Basically is M1 brace.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 12:46 AM   #71
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
I installed the M3 strut brace recently, got the kit from Harold at HPA. This was exactly the suspension mod my car needed! But like others have suggested it was like the icing on the cake after the rest of the suspension was pretty much dialed in. My car already had upgraded tires, wheels, struts, springs, camber plates, M3 front and rear control arms, M3 front sway bar, LSD with lockdown kit, M3 subframe bushings and more. The car drove great but there still felt like there was a little bit of slop in the steering, for lack of a better description. Turn-in was OK but I had to correct the steering too much in mid-turn when driving hard on twisty mountain backroads. This upgrade fixed that. It reminded me of when I installed the front sway bar, though the effect was not quite as dramatic. Steering precision is markedly improved, both when entering turns and in mid-turn. I'm very satisfied with the purchase, but I can also see that it may not have done much if I had not already spent a bundle on other more important suspension upgrades first.
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2019, 12:26 AM   #72
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Just installed these this evening. Completely transformed the front end of the car. I would rate this mod 12/10 if I could lol
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 03:57 AM   #73
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
I agree with the added value on handling, the car seems to fall more eagerly to the curves, the initial reaction to the steering input is much better, the front end feels a bit more solid...
Attached Images