E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > best intercooler for e92 N54 335i

12-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #67
fast4door
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupe2007 View Post
no one ever really talks about the AA FMIC..... do they suck that bad?
I have the AA intercooler and i love it...if you can afford it then get it...its definetly the biggest intercooler on the market, or atleast it was when I bought mine
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #68
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Helix View Post
before I even opened this thread I said "oh god here we go"
Funny, I say that in almost every thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #69
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

Big Tom,

It's great you found an intercooler that is less expensive but it is still not for everyone.

Not everyone wants to have to source couplings, have brackets welded or even worse have their intercooler held up by zipties. Last but not least the amount of cutting involved to have it in place.

Dont confuse this with bashing of your choice in intercoolers, it is simply facts that everyone has different goals in mind when it comes to intercoolers.

Some people rather spend a few more dollars and get a trim free intercooler that is truly plug and play.

If you look at the fin pack design of the "big tom intercooler" it is clear why it needs to be so big to perform. If they used a high density fin pack design they could make that intercooler about half that size, but it would cost more.

So for someone wanting high efficiency, low profile, ease of install, no trimming then something like the helix or ETS 5 inch core would be choice.

If someone has the DIY skills, doesnt mind cutting, fabricating and gathering other bits then perhaps an in efficient larger core may suit them.

Not everyone here is up to the task of what is involved to source and install the Big tom intercooler. Hell half of these guys probably have their tunes installed by a service shop so you could only imagine trying to get them installing a universal intercooler in this car.

As always there are options in the middle too.

You dont need to convince everyone to buy the same intercooler as you in every intercooler thread, its quite annoying actually.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #70
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4door View Post
Actually I can notice a difference..for one the welds look alot cleaner on the AA unit. Also, just posting a picture of the face of the IC doesnt really show the differences between the two. I can guarantee you one thing though, much more R&D and engineering goes into AA IC(and helix, ets, etc.) than the Big Tom or KL IC or whatever its called.

I understand your happy with your product, but you shouldnt bash other reputable and established companies so you can build up your own. If your IC is so great, let it speak for itself, and if it is as good as you say it is then people will notice with you having to pitch it every time you can.

Remember just because its look similar and it's cheaper, doesnt mean it's better...if that were the case everyone would be driving a Hyundai
AA intercooler is the same as the big tom. he's not bull-shitting you. the amount of r&d that AA did consisted of the mounting brackets and inlet/outlet pipes. the intercooler core/end tanks were not designed, tested, manufactured, or invented by AA.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #71
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellacked135i View Post
Big Tom,

It's great you found an intercooler that is less expensive but it is still not for everyone.

Not everyone wants to have to source couplings, have brackets welded or even worse have their intercooler held up by zipties. Last but not least the amount of cutting involved to have it in place.

Dont confuse this with bashing of your choice in intercoolers, it is simply facts that everyone has different goals in mind when it comes to intercoolers.

Some people rather spend a few more dollars and get a trim free intercooler that is truly plug and play.

If you look at the fin pack design of the "big tom intercooler" it is clear why it needs to be so big to perform. If they used a high density fin pack design they could make that intercooler about half that size, but it would cost more.

So for someone wanting high efficiency, low profile, ease of install, no trimming then something like the helix or ETS 5 inch core would be choice.

If someone has the DIY skills, doesnt mind cutting, fabricating and gathering other bits then perhaps an in efficient larger core may suit them.

Not everyone here is up to the task of what is involved to source and install the Big tom intercooler. Hell half of these guys probably have their tunes installed by a service shop so you could only imagine trying to get them installing a universal intercooler in this car.

You dont need to convince everyone to buy the same intercooler as you in every intercooler thread, its quite annoying actually.
agreed. ETS 5" intercooler is probably the best choice for 99% of this forum. no cutting involved, dense fin packs, lower IAT's, etc
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #72
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

I'm on my phone and even I can see that the AA Intercooler had nothing but the basic layout in common with the BT one. Start counting boys!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #73
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

Y do people still post on this thread. Let's bump the good informative threads. This is getting way too repetitive, always the same topics.
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #74
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbmer View Post
Y do people still post on this thread. Let's bump the good informative threads. This is getting way too repetitive, always the same topics.
This.

Same shit different out house
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #75
fast4door
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post
Don't worry Tom, haters gonna hate no matter what. People think that if you pay for more something, it must definitely better. This is not always the case. Even IF the ETS / AA / HPF intercoolers are marginally better, they are not marginally more expensive, they are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive. At the end of the day, all of these intercoolers are going to get the job done. All the manufacturers pitch that their intercooler is so much better than the competition's intercooler, it's all bull sh!t in my opinion.

If you CAN DIY, then go with the Big Tom IC, you won't regret it considering how much money you save.

If you CAN'T DIY, all of the direct bolt on intercoolers pretty much do the same thing and all cost a fortune.

nothing do with hating my friend..it just comes down to personal preference. I choose to intsall quality parts on my $55k BMW that dont need to be held with zipties. The same can be said about the downpipes on the market....you can get a set of nice AR or MS Dp's, or you can buy the cheap $250 ones and swear theyre the same..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #76
fast4door
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellacked135i View Post
Big Tom,

well said..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #77
fast4door
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
AA intercooler is the same as the big tom. he's not bull-shitting you. the amount of r&d that AA did consisted of the mounting brackets and inlet/outlet pipes. the intercooler core/end tanks were not designed, tested, manufactured, or invented by AA.
Cant believe everything you read on the internet ..and they arent the same...the Big Tom is bigger than the AA

Last edited by fast4door; 12-20-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #78
Bash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92-335i

Between AA and Big Tom i would say they would perform the same, however that being said its not until upgraded turbos i would go this big FMIC. Too much pressure loss, and overwork the turbos, probably higher WGDC too.

Get the AMS, Helix or the ETS 5" or 6", they are all identical

COBB S2+ - Mr.5 CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, AMS FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #79
fast4door
Captain
Rep

lol...so funny when admins delete posts..

dont let the facts get in the way of your argument lololol
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #80
Bash
First Lieutenant
Rep

The Best FMIC is the stock one, because i have it

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #81
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The Best FMIC is the stock one, because i have it
LOL, love it! Why don't you PM me for a great price on a second best ETS 5" core?
      12-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #82
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Be sure to check out the group buy for our new Sport Intercooler For n54/n55 in the 1addicts section. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625503

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #83
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Helix group buy ends January 1st. Get your deposit in on time for the best FMIC on the Market

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605266

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #84
a7med606
First Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 1 ///M + F80 M3

i think that i will go for the ets but still i dont know which one hahahaha
now i want to know whats the difference between the ets 5 and 7
how many horse power from the 5 and from the 7

thanx all
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #85
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

LOL
      12-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #86
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7med606 View Post

thanx all
On stock turbos I'd say there is no difference in power. I could be wrong, but I think the 7" doesn't start to shine until you have exceeded the capabilities of the 5" unit.

If you're looking for the ETS intercooler there are plenty of vendors selling it. And there's one coming for sale in the used subforum pretty soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #87
135i
Cobb Stage 2+/ICarbon/HPF/Stett
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
On stock turbos I'd say there is no difference in power. I could be wrong, but I think the 7" doesn't start to shine until you have exceeded the capabilities of the 5" unit.

If you're looking for the ETS intercooler there are plenty of vendors selling it. And there's one coming for sale in the used subforum pretty soon.
what are you going to go with? HPF
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #88
Bash
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7med606 View Post

thanx all
again are you running a tune or not?

Appreciate 0