E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 DCT Sport issue

01-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

N55 DCT Sport issue

I have previously mentioned this in the 1 addicts forum... Basically when driving with sport button pressed the throttle response is fantastic and super responsive as it should be... Although when you press the DTC button to turn traction off it also disengages the sport function of Great throttle response, yet the light on the sport button is still on. It really defeats the purpose of having spirited driving when it doesn't allow the wheels to spin and have DTC cut in... Had the state manager from Victoria Australia drive the car and was surprised on this and said obviously this the characteristic of the car and normal... Weird I reckon!!
Any others are experiencing this??? Car has to be N55 with DCT with sport button..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
tdwilli1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 135is LMB

Not me. I just got my 135iS with DCT and have driven about 50% of the time in this mode and the throttle response doesn't change for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Not for me either - with traction turned off - the sport mode can still be selected. This was true stock, with the PPK 1 and now is also true with the Cobb Tune.

I have the 2011 N55 135i with the DCT.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Pressing the DTC button does not change the throttle response for me either.
2011 N55 335i with DCT

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

You guys r killing me!! Sure??
Good way to test this is to drive in M mode sport pressed at around 4000 RPM in 3rd or 4th then at a stable speed press DTC off/on and tell me if you notice the car pull back when pressing DTC off and the car surge when DTC is pressed on...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki
Good way to test this is to drive in M mode sport pressed at around 4000 RPM in 3rd or 4th then at a stable speed press DTC off/on and tell me if you notice the car pull back when pressing DTC off and the car surge when DTC is pressed on...
That I also notice, but it is momentary. I do not feel any difference in throttle response after that moment

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

What do you mean by 'press?' Pressing it turns DTC on, not off. Holding the DTC button in for a few seconds will turn DSC completely off.

DTC is a function of the DSC system. It is off by default. DTC is for better wheel traction and stability in loose ground(snow, dirt, etc).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
YS1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G87

Tricki,

I noticed the same thing. Car still seems to shift quicker with the sport button on but throttle response is not the same as when all nannies are active. My theory is that BMW doesn't want the more sensitive (and potentially more dangerous) combination of quicker throttle response AND less computer babysitting together at the same time...

Last edited by YS1; 01-08-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YS1
Tricki,

I noticed the same thing. Car still seems to shift quicker with the sport button on but throttle response is not the same as when all nannies are active. My theory is that BMW doesn't want the more sensitive (and potentially more dangerous) combination of quicker throttle response AND less computer babysitting together at the same time...
Thx YS1, it just seems pointless that you can't have DTC off and sport throttle response working at the same time.. Hope Cobb tune fixes this
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
no difference...

btw are you pressing the Traction Controll button once or holding it till you get the logo?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22
Quote:
no difference...

btw are you pressing the Traction Controll button once or holding it till you get the logo?
Either, just a quick press or even the hold changes the throttle response on the car...odd how it does to some cars and others not !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Again, pressing the button turns on the DSC, which I would think would kill the sport button functions.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Response by BMW Australia regarding this issue...

"My technical department have advised that when the DSC light is off, the vehicle reverts back to a linier throttle response. When the DSC light is on, the vehicle will display an aggressive output. I hope this helps. For any further in information, I recommend that you speak directly with your service department."

I have responded

"Thank you although why does the sport light stay on if it reverts back to normal?? It defeats the purpose of an aggressive throttle response if DSC cuts in...
The enjoyment driving experience that BMW always advertises is lost with this setup..."

Awaiting their reply!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

The Reply

""When DSC is deactivated, the above items stay active excepted for Launch control and The “engine responds more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements”. The engine response becomes more linier and portioned to the throttle pedal movement.

There is no reduce in power or the response of the engine, it just requires more input from the driver as the safety systems on the vehicle has been requested not to intervene. AS the DSC system can reacted faster than the driver, this aggressive throttle mapping can be used. when this system is deactivated and due to the large torque our engine produce, a more controllable throttle map is used.

When sport mode is active, the following occurs as per the owner’s manual
> The engine speed range is utilised to the
maximum.
> Gear changes are quicker.
> The engine responds more spontaneously
to accelerator pedal movements.
> Launch control""
Appreciate 0