E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Cool Carbon pads issue anyone?

06-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #23
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Gentlemen,

The CC pads are a street pad that many BMW owners been quite happy with for occasional HPDEs.

The comparison offered was never intended to be one against any full race pad and especially ones at 2x to 3x the price that were actually full race pads. If you are already a track junkie and the goal is a full track/race pad, then the Cool Carbon S/T pad is likely not the best choice.

If a high performance street pad is the goal (that can also handle occasional track events) than the CC pads can be an excellent choice and also one that has developed a strong following.

Hope this clears things up.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #24
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I have seen someone gone through a new set of Cool Carbon pads in three 20 minute sessions at Laguna Seca, this is with oem rotors and calipers. Even oem pads can stand up to a few days of abuse at Laguna.
This isn't fair Harold. You know that these were a CC RT "test" pad and not the real CC street pad.
I can't count how many times I told you this.

I went previously with the CC pads that everyone is using and had a significant amount of pad left after the entire day.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #25
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
But that is also no problem with the standard pads I drove 5 consecutive laps with the standard pads with no issue... the just wear down fast

The CC are however not much better. They where gone in one weekend on the Ring. Personally I do not like the pedal feel with the CC (al lot of pedal travel) and I was not confident on the brakes. To be hones, with the OEM pads I was much more confident. And yes, the brake in was doneproperly

I will try an other set (as I ordered 2 sets) and see how these feel. I do not expect something different though. After this set is gone, I will try Performance Friction or Endless.
Have you tried the new Stoptech Street Performance pads? These are the same pad material supplied in most of their BBK's. You should give them a shot!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #26
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
The OEM pads might be better than Cool Carbon, as the product has been getting mixed reviews. The stock pads are dust monsters, so if the cool carbons don't produce much dust, my theory is that they will not be able to hold up under extreme braking, as low dust pads, seem to melt easily.
It's a trade off really, in my experience low dust pads generally don't have great stopping power, if you want your car to stop you almost have to live with the dust.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #27
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Here are the pictures of my pads after 20k miles and 30 laps of Laguna Seca.
These are the CC street pads that everyone is using.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #28
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
These are pictures of what Harold is referring to.
I was testing these out as a track pad but the testing showed that they didn't last long at all.
Stopping was great but the pads didn't last.

These pads were a TEST pad.

I just picked up another set to test out and I hear that the new compound is incredible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #29
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Yikes.

I had a suspicion that some here were talking about the S/T pads. Frankly, while Cool Carbon S/T pads are suitable for use on the street and may in fact offer better brake torque than OEM without significant more dust, they're at best okay for autocross, not track work.

I've had Cool Carbon R/Ts on my MZ4 Coupe and they worked okay for track, but they get overwhelmed when you start "driving." They're not the über track pads like Performance Friction FPC-01 or 06, Cobalt XR series, or Hawk DTC series, but they'll survive abuse from advanced drivers that can manage their brakes.

Either pad, in fact, ANY pad used for the track needs to be bedded in properly. If not done so pad deposit will result in a juddering sensation in braking. I've seen this happen in ALL pads, and more prevalent in STREET PADS used for track.

Frankly, anyone suggesting that the Cool Carbon S/T pads can be used effectively on the track...Well, we won't go into that. My anecdotal evidence on a car with 330 HP and weigh about 350 lbs lighter than yours, driven by someone who's had hundreds of DAYS on local California tracks and has been instructing for quite a few years with BMW CCA, seems to suggest that street pads are street pads and track pads are track pads, and that the S/T, at best, will hold up to about 15-18 minutes or so, or anywhere up to 7 laps, when driven at speed at Buttonwillow, and the R/T, when driven properly, can last the whole day but don't offer the same sort of brake torque and initial bite as the über pads and should really be paired with ultra performance street tires, not R-Comps (managed to fade the R/Ts with R-Comps equipped at the same track).

But the OP's problem is mostly poor bed-in.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #30
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I have driven quite some different pads on this and my previous car and now how to bed in a pad. When the CC where mounted they where bedded in by be the boss himself which is a racedriver (this shop only prepares cars for the track and is not a normal shop). So it was for sure done properly.
Next to the wear I agree to "the HACK", I really missed the initial bite of the pad. The Pagid RS29 where much better regarding that. (different price for sure, but just to compare)
I will try the CC again, let's see. If they are the same as before, I will search for an other option. I do not need to have a street/track pad, as I switch them (together with my wheels) when tracking.

@ HP Autowerks, does this stoptech pad work with the orginal disk? I didn't know Stoptech has pads for other then their own brake systems.

I recently asked here in the Forum if anybody has experience with Endless, but got no reply. They seem to be really good. Any of you have experience with them?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #31
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post

@ HP Autowerks, does this stoptech pad work with the orginal disk? I didn't know Stoptech has pads for other then their own brake systems.
Yes, they do, it's the same pad shape as oem. As a matter of fact, Stoptech makes a full line of oem and street performance pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #32
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Yes, they do, it's the same pad shape as oem. As a matter of fact, Stoptech makes a full line of oem and street performance pads.
thanks, good to know.
but as I said, I am looking for a track-only pad, so I am not sure this pad is good for me...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #33
meile
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
I had some problems with them at the track last week.... after a few hard laps they were juddering like crazy on hard braking. Every session they would be fine for 1 to 2 laps then shaking would start again when they warmed up. I assumed it was just because I hadn't bedded them good enough. Car has 3000 miles and about 2000 on cool carbons. After coming home I took pads off and they were glazed over pretty bad.... I guess it could be improper bedding that didn't prepare them properly for the heat at the track?
I've had this problem too with the CC pads, extreme juddering on track as well as on street.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #34
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

Could brake fluid play a part in any of this?
      09-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #35
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian E92 View Post
Could brake fluid play a part in any of this?
No
      08-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #36
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

4 months ago installed new rotors (Brembo) and pads cool carbon
exceeded 60mph the steering wheel vibrates in a clear manner..

Replaced brake fluid and verified proper installation of pads and rotors.
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #37
S4Sprint
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M

Pad Transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
ANY pad used for the track needs to be bedded in properly.[/B] If not done so pad deposit will result in a juddering sensation in braking.
Something doesn't make sense to me with this statement. I do not race but have never had brake pad material transfer issues with normally driven vehicles.

Why would NOT bedding the brakes result in brake pad deposit. I understand why pad deposits cause 'juddering' but can anyone explain why there would be pad deposit in a car normally driven and not bedded?

Maybe I'm misreading what is meant by the statement. My thought process is it takes a lot of heat to soften the pad material to the point that it will transfer and on top of that one needs to let the pads cool in a stationary position to adhere to the rotor in one spot, that would cause juddering. Thanks.
Appreciate 0