E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Take 3: Vishnu 335i coupe Tuning Update

11-09-2006, 01:27 AM   #771
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1
The simple answer is lots of M3 owners Mod, very very few supercharge since it costs 15-20K on top of the hefty price most paid for their e46 M3.

Rad...

Did you go to Bimmerfest 2006?

I was in SHOCK. it was my first time... there were over 3000 cars in attendance. a HUGE number of them were M3's. Of that HUGE number, I would be willing to say that at least 7/10 were supercharged.

I couldn't beleive my eyes.

That part about "since it costs 15-20K on top of..."

That's not a problem to these people. Most M3 owners are NOT struggling to afford their M3.

You would not beleive me if I toldyou how many KIDS come to my dealer driving the M3 that daddy bought them. I'm talking 16-17 year old KIDS. With their own M3's, and all kinds of money spent on it... $5000 rims, $2500 exhaust, $2000 suspension, $5000 worth of CF bumpers...

These punks are LOADED. $15000 for a supercharger to make that rocket ship go "ludacris speed" (they've gone to PLAID!) is not that big of a deal to many, MANY, M3 owners.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 01:31 AM   #772
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
Rad...

I was in SHOCK. it was my first time... there were over 3000 cars in attendance. a HUGE number of them were M3's. Of that HUGE number, I would be willing to say that at least 7/10 were supercharged.

That's not a problem to these people. Most M3 owners are NOT struggling to afford their M3.

You would not beleive me if I toldyou how many KIDS come to my dealer driving the M3 that daddy bought them. I'm talking 16-17 year old KIDS. With their own M3's, and all kinds of money spent on it... $5000 rims, $2500 exhaust, $2000 suspension, $5000 worth of CF bumpers...

These punks are LOADED. $15000 for a supercharger to make that rocket ship go "ludacris speed" (they've gone to PLAID!) is not that big of a deal to many, MANY, M3 owners.
Ok, I agree, but a + US $ 30k loaded and supercharged E46 M3 in the States still will cost 'less' than a 'normal' E46 M3 with some goodies in my country( a rather loaded E46 M3 OEM cost about 95,000 euros)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 01:37 AM   #773
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
lol... I started the run on the side of the road. So I had to launch, merge, shift and film at the same time. I ran out of hands so I left the blinker on. But e92law does make a great point as it proves that nothing was speed up in video editing

I've timed roll-on type launches. Pretty much the same kind of stuff you'd do on the street. With normal, non-abuse driving, it routinely hits 60mph in 4.1-4.3 seconds. With some prep (stickier surface, different tires, practiced launch, etc.) it could probably shave off a tick or two. Pretty darn quick for a non AWD car!

Take 4 will come soon. SEMA@Vegas got in the way of things so we're just getting caught up with the rest of our work. Seems like a lot of people are waiting for delivery. I hope to be seeing all you guys Shoot me a PM if you want to drop by and drive our test car.

Great to hear But 400whp is going to be a tall order for the stock turbos. I don't think we're ever going to hit that without the use of methanol/race gas/cams/bigger turbos/etc,. Torque, however, may very well hit the 400lb-ft mark (at the wheels) with some extra work here and there. Torque is something smaller turbos do so well. Especially with higher octane.

Cheers,
shiv
wow... 4.1-4.3 seconds ? you ganna get alot of buyers i gatta get myself 335 now
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 01:53 AM   #774
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Limited
Thanks guys! I had yet to see under frame shots of the car.
Shiv: do ya think you can take some underside shots of the car for some of us gearheads? It'll be awhile before I get my own 335 to crawl under. :mad:
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 01:59 AM   #775
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33799

Here's some pics of the underside.

This is NOT SHIV'S car, NOR IS IT SHIV'S PRODUCT!
It is ONLY a picture of the underside of an E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #776
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Rad...

Hey Matt, I have never made it to Bimmerfest but would love to. I used to be an e46 M3 owner though , but definitely not one of the loaded punks you refer to But I used to spend all my forum time on the m3forums and there were probably a couple dozen folks with FI out of the thousand or so regular posters, and most all of those were AA Supercharger with a few Dinan, and no one had a active turbo set-up at that time. I am sure the numbers have steadily increased since that time, but I still think it is a pretty small minority of the total. Now wheels, suspension, interior mods, etc were pretty much everyone who posted regularly. For instance I had Brembo BBK, Bilstein Coilovers, Racing Dynamic Exhaust, Kinesis Wheels, and a long list of cosmetic mods and I was only maybe a little above average as far as $$$ amount of mods.

PS: I still need to hire you to put all my mods on my 335i when I get it. I'll send you a PM when I have an ETA. So far I can't even find out if it is on a ship yet:mad:
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #777
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Matt, try to get us a pic of the car on a lift. These images of the car on the ground are better than nothing but what I would like to see is the entire exhaust from headers on back, especially the section with the secondary cats. If you see one at work see if you can snap a pic Actually one of a 335i Sedan and one of 335i coupe would be awesome so we could see the difference in the exhaust side by side.

Quote:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33799

Here's some pics of the underside.

This is NOT SHIV'S car, NOR IS IT SHIV'S PRODUCT!
It is ONLY a picture of the underside of an E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 06:05 PM   #778
jgannonloans
FOR SALE
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i

Hey Shiv how are you, i am really interested in the Xede, i know i read that you will not have the exhaust in production for some time, if i were to get the Xede installed and tuned by you, what exhaust would you recommend, manufacturer and size? I live in Vegas, i don't know if you are coming out here, that would be great, but maybe you'll be in So Cal, please keep me posted. Also my car is not even broken in yet, when would you recommend to do the Xede, how many miles? thank you anybody else has any suggestions let me know
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #779
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1
Matt, try to get us a pic of the car on a lift. These images of the car on the ground are better than nothing but what I would like to see is the entire exhaust from headers on back, especially the section with the secondary cats. If you see one at work see if you can snap a pic Actually one of a 335i Sedan and one of 335i coupe would be awesome so we could see the difference in the exhaust side by side.

Scroll down in the thread, I beleive there are better pics below bud!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #780
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Anyone that already tested Shiv's product + exhaust?
I wonder what is the new 0-60 mph time with those upgrades???

Shiv - I cant believe that you haven't tested it already...Please tell us what we will be getting for 0-60 time if we byu your product.

I know that you dont like to go to the "strip" but it is a good marketing, if you tell people what they will be getting for their money....a lot of money
And you can always test the 0-60 time on a normal street/road with a GPS device or something that measures "g", and acceleration etc.

Real life numbers speak better than just DYNO Graphs...at least I wouldnt buy anything before I see real numbers in real life situations.

Thanks, keep up the good work! You seem to know a lot about cars, and I admire you, just be more science oriented when it comes down to money-hp-accel. - joy
      11-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #781
emos325
Streifenden Komet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 525i was a 325is

Garage List
late night thinking

Hey shiv
Have you thought about taking the rev limiter off? What could you do if the RL was off? Could you boost the turbos for more boost in the top end instead of tapering off? For some one who has a LOT of money would you say it would be better to bore or stroke the engine to get more out of it, safely ( to reach the 400rwhp/400rwtq. If one of the above were done would you need bigger turbos to make it still feel stock. I know you said you can't get much more out of these turbos. I know you suggested that down pipes might be in the future. If so would you powder coat them and make them 2.5" from the DP to the exhaust tips. have you thought about a CF intake with Bigger bored throttle bodies and maybe a bigger air manifold for more air. If all this aboe was done, could you mock some up? like the DP and get a car with an intake as well as BBTB( does each cylinder have a throttle body like the M3 or just one TB into the air manifold). How much custom dyno time would you need to get the figures and make sure it is all getting to the wheel (as much as possible) Sorry it's late for me so if a majority of the above is ridiculous just give the answer might be in the future. Also how much help would cams be with your timming of the injectors etc.( would you need bigger injector at this stage?) Would the stock intercooler be able to handle most of this. IMO i would add a BOV to help keep engine temps and turbo temps down.would you also need a bigger intercooler.
I am super impressed with your work and you constant updates and was wondering how you got your start. Pm me back when you get time. All the above is meant hypothetical for a 335i. One more thing if a X model of the 335i is in the works where the hell is everyone getting their info.
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow; F- That just go to driving school and you can do both.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #782
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
Anyone that already tested Shiv's product + exhaust?
I wonder what is the new 0-60 mph time with those upgrades???

Shiv - I cant believe that you haven't tested it already...Please tell us what we will be getting for 0-60 time if we byu your product.

I know that you dont like to go to the "strip" but it is a good marketing, if you tell people what they will be getting for their money....a lot of money
And you can always test the 0-60 time on a normal street/road with a GPS device or something that measures "g", and acceleration etc.

Real life numbers speak better than just DYNO Graphs...at least I wouldnt buy anything before I see real numbers in real life situations.

Thanks, keep up the good work! You seem to know a lot about cars, and I admire you, just be more science oriented when it comes down to money-hp-accel. - joy
Bronco,

Shiv has already posted what he is seeing for 0-60. Consistant 4.1-4.3 with reg roll on launch. If you read up you will find his post.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #783
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat
Bronco,

Shiv has already posted what he is seeing for 0-60. Consistant 4.1-4.3 with reg roll on launch. If you read up you will find his post.
Yes, but what is the exact figure? 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3 there is a huge difference

And I would like to see some 0-60 times from a dead stop, not from a roll on.

Thanks a lot guys!
      11-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #784
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=bronco]Yes, but what is the exact figure? 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3 there is a huge difference
QUOTE]

Shiv could test it on day 1 and get 4.0 and on day 2 get a 4.3....there isnt a great difference in .3 seconds.

Testing condition would dictate the result.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #785
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=sstarch1]
Quote:
Yes, but what is the exact figure? 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3 there is a huge difference
QUOTE]

Shiv could test it on day 1 and get 4.0 and on day 2 get a 4.3....there isnt a great difference in .3 seconds.

Testing condition would dictate the result.
Thanks a lot!!!

Is there anyone that already had Shiv's mod installed? How does it feel? Is the exhaust very loud? Basically, please share the experience.

Thanks
      11-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #786
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:

And I would like to see some 0-60 times from a dead stop, not from a roll on.

Thanks a lot guys!
They were from a dead stop. Take a look at the videos. Focusing on 0-60mph is pretty useless, imho. If we were to magically add 100hp to the car, it would only shave a 0.1-0.2 seconds off the time. 0-60 has far more to do with traction and road conditions than horsepower. It was a good benchmark a decade ago when most performance cars had less than 250hp. Now, it's pretty useless. 0-100 is a far better test and it actually gives you an idea of how quick a car really is.

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #787
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by emos325
Hey shiv
Have you thought about taking the rev limiter off? What could you do if the RL was off? Could you boost the turbos for more boost in the top end instead of tapering off? For some one who has a LOT of money would you say it would be better to bore or stroke the engine to get more out of it, safely ( to reach the 400rwhp/400rwtq. If one of the above were done would you need bigger turbos to make it still feel stock. I know you said you can't get much more out of these turbos. I know you suggested that down pipes might be in the future. If so would you powder coat them and make them 2.5" from the DP to the exhaust tips. have you thought about a CF intake with Bigger bored throttle bodies and maybe a bigger air manifold for more air. If all this aboe was done, could you mock some up? like the DP and get a car with an intake as well as BBTB( does each cylinder have a throttle body like the M3 or just one TB into the air manifold). How much custom dyno time would you need to get the figures and make sure it is all getting to the wheel (as much as possible) Sorry it's late for me so if a majority of the above is ridiculous just give the answer might be in the future. Also how much help would cams be with your timming of the injectors etc.( would you need bigger injector at this stage?) Would the stock intercooler be able to handle most of this. IMO i would add a BOV to help keep engine temps and turbo temps down.would you also need a bigger intercooler.
I am super impressed with your work and you constant updates and was wondering how you got your start. Pm me back when you get time. All the above is meant hypothetical for a 335i. One more thing if a X model of the 335i is in the works where the hell is everyone getting their info.
The turbos are going to limit horsepower. Cams and headwork may help a bit but turbos will always be the bottleneck. They can be upgraded but you will introduce more lag which may or may not be the best compromise for any given driver. The factory intake may be restrictive at the power levels we are no seeing. Upgrading the turbo inlet pipes will take some work due to space contrainsts.

Removing the rev limit is not an option since that is a sure fire way to destry the engine. Engines are far more stressed by RPM than by power loads. Even bumping up the rev limited by 300rpm will dramatically increase engine stress. And since we're currently making peak power well before redline, there isn't much use in reving beyond it. Bad for performance and bad for the engine.

I'm not sure why you think new BOVs will reduce temps. Just as long as the stock ones aren't leaking (and they aren't from what I've seen), swapping BOVs with something else is going to be a downgrade as far as performane and drivability goes.

Hope that helps,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #788
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=bronco]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarch1

Thanks a lot!!!

Is there anyone that already had Shiv's mod installed? How does it feel? Is the exhaust very loud? Basically, please share the experience.

Thanks
None yet. Most people are still waiting on their cars. But it looks like we have a few cars scheduled to get the Xede installed later this month. And perhaps more than a few next month. The exhaust wont be ready for sale until later next year.

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #789
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Quote:
The turbos are going to limit horsepower. Cams and headwork may help a bit but turbos will always be the bottleneck. They can be upgraded but you will introduce more lag which may or may not be the best compromise for any given driver. The factory intake may be restrictive at the power levels we are no seeing. Upgrading the turbo inlet pipes will take some work due to space contrainsts.

Removing the rev limit is not an option since that is a sure fire way to destry the engine. Engines are far more stressed by RPM than by power loads. Even bumping up the rev limited by 300rpm will dramatically increase engine stress. And since we're currently making peak power well before redline, there isn't much use in reving beyond it. Bad for performance and bad for the engine.

I'm not sure why you think new BOVs will reduce temps. Just as long as the stock ones aren't leaking (and they aren't from what I've seen), swapping BOVs with something else is going to be a downgrade as far as performane and drivability goes.

Hope that helps,
shiv
As usual shiv great information! The only rev limiter I want changed is the one on 5th and 6th gear that will allow us to go upto 7000rpm... right now it stops us a fair ammount before that... but that has to do with top speed lol. I guess I just have drag racing/top speed trials too deeply ingrained into me... guess thats what I get from racing muscle cars (that cant handle).

Oh ya... How goes the switch in the ashtray idea? Do you think you will be able to make it? For XEDE's that are installed now/soon what kinda switch setup will come with them if any? Thanks again shiv for all the great work!!

Mat
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #790
jacksonjw81
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
They were from a dead stop. Take a look at the videos. Focusing on 0-60mph is pretty useless, imho. If we were to magically add 100hp to the car, it would only shave a 0.1-0.2 seconds off the time. 0-60 has far more to do with traction and road conditions than horsepower. It was a good benchmark a decade ago when most performance cars had less than 250hp. Now, it's pretty useless. 0-100 is a far better test and it actually gives you an idea of how quick a car really is.

-shiv
Couldn't agree with you more. They (magazine editors, performance junkies, etc) need to get off the 0-60 it worked great with sub 200 hp cars, but now with a majority pusing over 300 it is time to make the 0-100 the standard.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #791
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
0-60 will always be the standard, or at least for a long time, because that's still street legal. Telling people how quickly they can break the speed limit is a sure fire way to get the DOT on you ass.
Look at sport bikes. The Hayabusa can do over 200. But they still tell you it's 0-60.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #792
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Scroll down in the thread, I beleive there are better pics below bud!

Opps you're right, I didn't scroll down far enough. Thanks, those are just what I was looking for, except now I want to see one of the e90 335i to see what the difference is.

Thanks
Appreciate 0