Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Trying to Chose Wheels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #23
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Forged Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
lol....I see you are quite set. Well I can't say that I know too much about the quality of either of those two brands. I hoped to reveal more in my thread but no one really gave me feedback.
The Sportline CS.16, Forgestar, TSW Interlagos, TSW TSW Nurburgring, Beyern Bavaria (made by TSW) Are all available in a 19" fitment for an e90. All are rotary forged. The Enkei is rotary forged using their MAT process. It's a 18" wheel so, I'm not interested. Same with the Apex. Great wheel, but only 18".

I've had TSW wheels before and they were okay with good customer service. This was some 10 years ago though. Sportline only makes two different wheels. Forgestar makes good wheels but I've heard mixed things about their quality control and lead times. Since all wheels are made to order, you might wait 8-12 weeks so don't be in a hurry.

The Sportline are the most inexpensive rotary forged wheel. The Forgestar the most expensive. You get the maximum number of options for finish and offset with the Forgestars but if you just want silver in a standard offset, then it might not be the wheel to buy, because it is the most expensive.

All the rotary forged wheels have a load of somewhere around 1700-1850 lbs.
So in terms of strength, they are all about the same.

The Sportline and TSW are stocked in basic fitments for 19" but don't expect any custom offsets. The benefit is they are stocked and relatively easy to get.

So if you like the TSW or Sportline, you can get them pretty quick. On the other hand if you want custom finishes and or offsets, then the Forgestar is the only way to go.

I've done quite a bit of research and I think I'm going to pass on the Forgestars even though I really like them. I don't think I want to wait 8-12 weeks (Christmas) to get my wheels. I can always powder coat any wheels I get but, I can live with silver.

Is this the type of feedback you were looking for?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #24
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
The Sportline CS.16, Forgestar, TSW Interlagos, TSW TSW Nurburgring, Beyern Bavaria (made by TSW) Are all available in a 19" fitment for an e90. All are rotary forged. The Enkei is rotary forged using their MAT process. It's a 18" wheel so, I'm not interested. Same with the Apex. Great wheel, but only 18".

I've had TSW wheels before and they were okay with good customer service. This was some 10 years ago though. Sportline only makes two different wheels. Forgestar makes good wheels but I've heard mixed things about their quality control and lead times. Since all wheels are made to order, you might wait 8-12 weeks so don't be in a hurry.

The Sportline are the most inexpensive rotary forged wheel. The Forgestar the most expensive. You get the maximum number of options for finish and offset with the Forgestars but if you just want silver in a standard offset, then it might not be the wheel to buy, because it is the most expensive.

The Sportline and TSW are stocked in basic fitments for 19" but don't expect any custom offsets. The benefit is they are stocked and relatively easy to get.

So if you like the TSW or Sportline, you can get them pretty quick. On the other hand if you want custom finishes and or offsets, then the Forgestar is the only way to go.

I've done quite a bit of research and I think I'm going to pass on the Forgestars even though I really like them. I don't think I want to wait 8-12 weeks (Christmas) to get my wheels. I can always powder coat any wheels I get but, I can live with silver.

The forgestar info is helpful. I wanted some verified weight listings and some vendors have eluded to the fact that not all wheel companies have their load testing certs readily available.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:

The forgestar info is helpful. I wanted some verified weight listings and some vendors have eluded to the fact that not all wheel companies have their load testing certs readily available.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #26
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

The Raijin are in the 20-21 pound range, so pretty light. I had no idea the Apex were that light.
Also thank you for the link to your lightweight wheel search!

Quote:
hey..sorry to do this but have you considered Enkei Raijin's? They use a process similar to rotary forging and they are light wheels. similar style to m359 AG's. Sonic tuning carries them as well.

Apex Arc8's although 18's can be had at 18.45lbs a wheel and waaaay below forged prices....I know you want 19's but those rims are really great. $1150 or so shippped too.

I started this thread looking for inexpensive light wheels check it out.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745082
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Which Color - Silver or Gunmetal?

Decided to go with the Forgestars and wait it out.
Now I'm trying to figure out color.
Silver or gunmetal?
Classy = Silver
Aggressive = Gunmetal
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #28
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Silver

I tend to like the classiness even though I drive very aggressively. Please post photos of whatever you decide on!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
What color is your car? if silver, get gunmetal. if anything else, get silver.

Also, thank god you didn't get MRR or whatever other things you listed.
      10-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #30
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep

I agree with the color analysis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
What color is your car? if silver, get gunmetal. if anything else, get silver.

Also, thank god you didn't get MRR or whatever other things you listed.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #31
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjellyneck View Post
I agree with the color analysis!
So you think with the arctic above, silver is the way to go???
Mind you the grill is going to be black and I plan to wrap the window trim.
Carbon splitters and the rear spoiler is carbon.

Arctic is sort of silver and sort of not.

Last edited by techwhiz; 10-05-2012 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #32
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Test Data

Quote:
Here is where Forgestar test data is located:
http://www.forgestar.com/v2/testdata.php

I don't know about the others.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #33
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Here is where Forgestar test data is located:
http://www.forgestar.com/v2/testdata.php

I don't know about the others.
boom shaka laka. That is the money shot there. Thumbs up for the full disclosure.

I would say get gunmetal as it is still sort of silver. why not go with an lci upgrade rear and front? I love arctic silver. It's a beautiful color. My w140 had a similar color on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #34
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Going with gunmetal. It is sort of silver/dark gray.
I think I've looked at about 400 pictures today to finally decide.
Placing my order on monday.
Also if I was just going silver I might as well get the Sportline CS.16
http://www.**********s.com/Sportline...Wheels-BMW.htm
At the bottom of the page they give load testing data also.

I got the car cheap because the color is not popular in the area I bought my car.
It sat at the dealer for 4 months with no interest due to the color.
I would have preferred a blue car, but got mine for $5-6K less than the others on the lot in Jan.

I might do LCI but probably just the M-Tech front and rear bumpers.
I'm not so hung up that I need to replace my hood and trunk along with the bumper covers.
Appreciate 0