E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watch your wallet... Equifax got hacked

09-08-2017, 02:03 AM   #1
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Watch your wallet... Equifax got hacked

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ers/643679001/

When a major credit reporting agency gets hacked and affects 143 million people, things are bound to get dicey and expose people to ID theft (sadly I'm at risk, just when I'm almost done paying off my bad debt)... They have also set up a site, but even getting their credit monitoring is a waiting game.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 09-08-2017 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Equifax, Experian... Sorry it was late.
Appreciate 1
Lups11824.50
      09-08-2017, 02:24 AM   #2
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Buy experian when it hits what, 100?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 02:47 AM   #3
seedyrom
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M240i, X3 20i, 2002, 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Buy experian when it hits what, 100?
For a greater return, I’d buy an infinite amount of stock when it hits $0.00
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ers/643679001/

When a major credit reporting agency gets hacked and affects 143 million people, things are bound to get dicey and expose people to ID theft (sadly I'm at risk, just when I'm almost done paying off my bad debt)... They have also set up a site, but even getting their credit monitoring is a complicated process and a waiting game.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

It was Equifax, not Experian. Fix your post!

Also, unless you don't know your name or Social Security Number, there is nothing difficult about using the website at https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com to see if you were one of the victims of the breach. As of this morning, you will have to wait about a week until Equifax can get you in the system for the Free Identity Theft Protection and Credit File Monitoring.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post

Also, unless you don't know your name or Social Security Number, there is nothing difficult about using the website at https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com to see if you were one of the victims of the breach. As of this morning, you will have to wait about a week until Equifax can get you in the system for the Free Identity Theft Protection and Credit File Monitoring.
Sorry, it was late. Also it's complicated as in you enter it, but then they tell you to come back in 2 days instead of letting you sign up on the spot.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
Sorry, it was late. Also it's complicated as in you enter it, but then they tell you to come back in 2 days instead of letting you sign up on the spot.
Another thread in the politics forum talking about this is pointing out by accepting their monitoring services, you waive your right to sue for damages.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

The worst part is, I've never used their services directly and have no car loan or home loan, yet I was still impacted.

Banks must use them for credit cards, because that's all I have...

BTW, if you sign up for their free "monitoring" service, you're giving up your ability for class action or suing them directly for damages.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:

One problem with signing up for their service, it is owned by the very people who allowed their systems to be breached. In addition, if you sign up for TrustedID Premier you waive your right to sue Equifax due to thier arbitration clause. They claim this only applies to the credit ID services but I would still be wary of signing up for their services. https://consumerist.com/2017/09/08/e...onse-to-theft/
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #9
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

FYI, you can still go to the website to find out if you're a victim, without signing up for the protection package. When you get the confirmation, you can just ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Quote:

One problem with signing up for their service, it is owned by the very people who allowed their systems to be breached. In addition, if you sign up for TrustedID Premier you waive your right to sue Equifax due to thier arbitration clause. They claim this only applies to the credit ID services but I would still be wary of signing up for their services. https://consumerist.com/2017/09/08/e...onse-to-theft/
What if you are effected but don't want to enroll? What would be the next course of action?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs down

Those f****** shysters knew about this bullshit but yet delayed getting consumers this critical information. Can't wait to see them get sued and pay and hopefully get shut down and bankrupt.
FYI... They are compensated mostly and work for the interest of Banks!

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 09-08-2017 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
The worst part is, I've never used their services directly and have no car loan or home loan, yet I was still impacted.

Banks must use them for credit cards, because that's all I have...

BTW, if you sign up for their free "monitoring" service, you're giving up your ability for class action or suing them directly for damages.
For me it's even more worse... I was on a bad luck streak for about 3 years and I'm just about at the tail end of getting rid of debt, and I worked SO hard to get my FICO up by 150 points and have about 100 points to go...

But if some freeloading asshat steals my identity and I have a hard time proving that it's fraud (like I do with $3000 that I'm still on the hook for ), I'm back to square one and It'd be another few years before I'd be able to finance anything again, especially since I'm working towards being able to buy a house (FUCK RENTING!!!!!), and my E90 isn't getting any younger either, but I don't want to go through a sub-prime loan again.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #13
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Quote:

After all the blowback today, there is an "escape clause" albeit an annoying one...

Once you sign up and pretty much opt out of potential class action shenanigans, you have 30 days to write equifax and tell them you want to have the right to "opt" back in. That you only waived your rights to see if you were a victim...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #14
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

http://lifehacker.com/think-twice-be...dit-1802747105

Think Twice Before Signing Up For Equifax's 'Free' Credit Monitoring

After announcing a “security incident” that impacted 143 million customers Thursday, Equifax is offering customers a year of free credit monitoring by way of an apology. The credit monitoring may seem like a good deal (free is free, right?), but if you were one of the customers affected by the security breach, you might want to think twice before signing up.

In the fine print, Equifax notes that by signing up for the service, you’re agreeing to not to sue them for the breach. If your info was stolen, you might be headed toward a huge personal identity nightmare. Giving up your right to sue for 12 months of complimentary credit monitoring is likely not the best idea.

AGREEMENT TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE SECTION CAREFULLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS BY REQUIRING ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES (EXCEPT AS SET FORTH BELOW) AND A WAIVER OF THE ABILITY TO BRING OR PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION, CLASS ARBITRATION, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVE ACTION. ARBITRATION PROVIDES A QUICK AND COST EFFECTIVE MECHANISM FOR RESOLVING DISPUTES, BUT YOU SHOULD BE AWARE THAT IT ALSO LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS TO DISCOVERY AND APPEAL.
There’s actually already a class action lawsuit filed against Equifax for the breach, so you’d also be giving up your right to participate in that, as well as any other lawsuits.
      09-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #15
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

A year of free monitoring is BS. It should be lifetime free monitoring. With lifetime free freeze/unfreeze.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00
      09-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #16
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
http://lifehacker.com/think-twice-be...dit-1802747105

Think Twice Before Signing Up For Equifax's 'Free' Credit Monitoring

After announcing a “security incident” that impacted 143 million customers Thursday, Equifax is offering customers a year of free credit monitoring by way of an apology. The credit monitoring may seem like a good deal (free is free, right?), but if you were one of the customers affected by the security breach, you might want to think twice before signing up.

In the fine print, Equifax notes that by signing up for the service, you’re agreeing to not to sue them for the breach. If your info was stolen, you might be headed toward a huge personal identity nightmare. Giving up your right to sue for 12 months of complimentary credit monitoring is likely not the best idea.

AGREEMENT TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE SECTION CAREFULLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS BY REQUIRING ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES (EXCEPT AS SET FORTH BELOW) AND A WAIVER OF THE ABILITY TO BRING OR PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION, CLASS ARBITRATION, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVE ACTION. ARBITRATION PROVIDES A QUICK AND COST EFFECTIVE MECHANISM FOR RESOLVING DISPUTES, BUT YOU SHOULD BE AWARE THAT IT ALSO LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS TO DISCOVERY AND APPEAL.
There’s actually already a class action lawsuit filed against Equifax for the breach, so you’d also be giving up your right to participate in that, as well as any other lawsuits.

They've cleared that issue up as stated below from their website. However, I bought identity insurance NOT from them and don't plan on using their "free" service.

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #17
Wksk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 6spd goes vroom!

FYI just like siruis xm you can buy Experian monthly credit monitoring and then cancel and they will offer it at a discount. I think I pay 9.95 a month for a few years now. Well worth it to be able to always stay on top of your credit.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #18
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I truly hope they get sued straight into non-recoverable Bankruptcy!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #19
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
We really need to look at other alternative solutions to this ID hacking issue. It isn't going away. Consumers need a way to change their SS Number safely so that the hacked info is no longer useful.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #20
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
We really need to look at other alternative solutions to this ID hacking issue. It isn't going away. Consumers need a way to change their SS Number safely so that the hacked info is no longer useful.
SS # is your permanent personal ID, they will never be changeable, it would be practically impossible to change the system.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #21
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
SSN is your identity, it can't and shouldn't be changed. It's your login ID. The problem is, it's also your password right now. Which is really, really bad. What we need is a password in order to do anything with our identity, something we can change and make complex unlike our mothers' maiden names. Actually, we need two factors of access to secure our identities - a something we know (a password) and something we have (a keyfob token, a smartphone app token, a chip card, or the like.) There's no profit in that however, so would have to be mandated legislatively.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 11:16 PM   #22
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

No. What needs to happen is for an actual law which spells out penalties for not protecting this very sensitive personal data just like what is in place for health care with HIPAA laws. Since the inception of HIPAA, how many major breaches have you heard of in the health care sector over PII information getting out? I rest my case.
Appreciate 0