E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > iPhone X

09-13-2017, 01:53 AM   #67
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Android > Apple (iOS)

I just can't stand a company so arrogant that they expect you to learn a completely new operating software, keyboard shortcuts, and the way to do things, and then charge a premium for their products.

No thanks.

That being said, I have such a bleak outlook on the human race and the ability of people to think for themselves instead of being sheep that I'd probably invest in Apple to make a buck or two.

P.S. I want to start the Apple vs. Android war.

Well said. On top of it charge 1150 Dollars for a phone that basically looks like an iPhone 6 but has edged to edge screen?!? Yes there is a 1000 Dollar version but comes with only 64 GB memory. Seriously? I miss when phones were just phones.
PS: My iPhone 5S still works fine. Battery was draining too fast but since paying 79 Dollars fir a new one it works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:30 AM   #68
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Great to see apples new lines of phones. Too bad Samsung has a corner on the OLED suppliers for now. So they released the X, that way you get the nice screen but in limited quantities. Bravo Tim, bravo.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 05:50 AM   #69
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
One of the keys to technology is that you are always able to provide more capability for less money. It seems IT has begun reversing that trend for the past couple years. You can still get cheap computers etc but if you want the nicer items they cost 4x as much. People are always willing to pay more if they perceive value or it’s a status thing. Which in this case will be the latter.

I am pretty sure that although a lot of people are griping, Apple will sell a ton of these. However, looking at these from afar, I’d still say the iPhone 7 is the sweet spot in the bunch. Newer tech (less wireless charging) for a little more than half the price of the X. The base 6 is $549. I am still using one as a test device at work and it still works great, runs iOS 11 just like the X. I’m kind of scratching my head because I’m not seeing what the X does more or better for me.

And these guys a looking more and more like politicians every year. No one wants a big screen they said, you don’t need a stylus they said. Pretty sure they said something similar about wireless charging lol. They also sure do look more and more like Samsung instead of the other way around, which is what it used to be.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #70
seedyrom
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M240i, X3 20i, 2002, 2002tii

Apologies in advance, the prices quoted are in Australian dollars.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/ga...388e164eb9c14c

Quote:
The biggest competitor to the 5.8-inch 64GB iPhone X is the 5.8-inch 64GB Samsung S8, which also has an edge-to-edge display, facial recognition and wireless charging.

And at just $A1199, the Samsung S8 is $A380 cheaper than the $1579 iPhone X. If you take into account Samsung’s ability to expand the storage to 320GB using microSD, it’s actually $A630 cheaper when compared to Apple’s $A1829 256GB model.

But surely you get much more bang for your buck with the iPhone X?

Not necessarily.

FACIAL RECOGNITION

While facial recognition is new for Apple products, the technology already exists on the S8.

To Apple’s credit it did mention they had tested the technology with Hollywood special effects experts to see if it could be fooled with masks and they had no luck.

The iPhone X also promises the technology can’t be fooled by pictures, which is something Samsung had to fix after the release of the S8.

While this sounds promising, users will have to wait for the product to be released to the public before it can really be tested against Apple’s security claims — hopefully it does live up.

Apple also claims FaceID will adapt to your changing face over time if you do things like add glasses or get an eyebrow ring (so 90s of you). But again this cannot be confirmed until months of use. And with the product failing already at the flagship event, it’s not looking great.

So what happens if you don’t want to use facial recognition or if it stops working as promised?

Well, with the iPhone X your only option is to use the passcode feature as the physical home button/fingerprint scanner has been removed for the larger screen.

This isn’t the case with the S8, which has the fingerprint scanner located on the rear of the device. It also offers options to use an iris scanner or passcode.

From my personal experience, I find the fingerprint scanner to be the quickest and easier way to unlock my device. Suffice to say it would have been nice for Apple to offer a few more options.
Apple’s iPhone X includes wireless charging for the first time.

Apple’s iPhone X includes wireless charging for the first time.Source:AFP

WIRELESS CHARGING

Apple has also made it possible to kiss your charger cords goodbye with the iPhone X.

As expected, the company has introduced wireless charging with its latest products — something Samsung introduced on its phones two years ago.

The new model has been made to work with Qi wireless charging, with the company releasing its own wireless charging dock known as Airpower.

While a nice addition, wireless charging doesn’t offer the same speeds as a physical cable and this is where Apple has dropped the ball.

Unlike the S8’s USB-C charging port — the new industry standard — Apple has opted to stick with its Lightning cable. This is despite switching to USB-C on its latest laptop models.

This means unless Apple provide a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box with the iPhone X, you will need to purchase an additional $A35 cable to charge Apple’s premium smartphone on its latest laptops.

And given it was happy enough to embrace USB-C for its laptop range, why not do the same with the iPhone X?

WATER AND DUST RESISTANCE

Having smartphones that offer water and dust resistance are nothing new, but it’s a shame to see the iPhone X only has an IP67 rating.

This means the device is fully protected from dust and can also withstand being submerged in 1 metre of static water for up to 30 minutes.

Comparatively, the S8 offers an IP68 rating — making it fully protected from dust and able to handle being submerged in 1.5 metre of static water for up to 30 minutes.

While this is only a minor improvement, it’s hard not be annoyed given the price difference.

DISPLAY

Apple’s iPhone X has a5.8-inch display that will offer 2436-by-1125 resolution, which is once again beaten by the cheaper S8’s 2960 x 1440 resolution.

As a first for Apple, the iPhone X includes the an OLED panel, which creates stunning colours and true blacks as each pixel creates light itself so there is no need for backlighting.

Again, this is an impressive feature for Apple to include, but the Samsung S8 has an AMOLED panel, which many believe is a step forward in Organic Light Emitting Diode technology.

Apple slightly tops Samsung with it’s high dynamic range (HDR), offering both Dolby Vision and HDR 10, but is this worth an extra $A630? I think not.

CAMERA

Apple’s iPhone 7 Plus introduced a new level of photography to smartphones and it’s iPhone X has continued the trend.

In terms of front-facing cameras, the cheaper S8‘s 8MP shooter is slightly better on paper when compared the 7MP camera offered by the iPhone X.

However, in terms of the rear-facing camera Apple takes the cake.

Despite both shooting in 12MP, the iPhone X has a dual camera on the rear of the device, which offers a better depth-of-field when compared to the S8’s single camera.

Although, it must be noted that Samsung’s Note 8 also offers a dual camera on the rear of the device.

And while the $A1499 Note 8 is more closely priced to the iPhone X, you do get all the benefits of the S8 mentioned in this article.

The Note 8 also offers a stylus and the ability to get a desktop experience using Samsung’s DeX, so if the camera was your decider, it would be worth taking that into account.

CONCLUSION

There is no denying Apple has released a solid product with the iPhone X.

It has the redesign fans had been calling for since the iPhone 6S and includes a number of good features.

The only problem is you can get the same features on other phones for a fraction of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #71
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

I thought this was supposed to be about the iPhone X and not a room full of children throwing poo at each other?

Grow the fuck up guys.
Nachbar8023.00
      09-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #72
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
One of the keys to technology is that you are always able to provide more capability for less money. It seems IT has begun reversing that trend for the past couple years. You can still get cheap computers etc but if you want the nicer items they cost 4x as much. People are always willing to pay more if they perceive value or it’s a status thing. Which in this case will be the latter.

I am pretty sure that although a lot of people are griping, Apple will sell a ton of these. However, looking at these from afar, I’d still say the iPhone 7 is the sweet spot in the bunch. Newer tech (less wireless charging) for a little more than half the price of the X. The base 6 is $549. I am still using one as a test device at work and it still works great, runs iOS 11 just like the X. I’m kind of scratching my head because I’m not seeing what the X does more or better for me.

And these guys a looking more and more like politicians every year. No one wants a big screen they said, you don’t need a stylus they said. Pretty sure they said something similar about wireless charging lol. They also sure do look more and more like Samsung instead of the other way around, which is what it used to be.
Agreed. $1000+ is also a bit too much for essentially a throw away item. A $550 base 6 still fits the bill. Who keeps smartphones longer than 2 years anyway? I like my iPhone but I'm sure in a year or so the battery or charging port or touch screen in that X will fail and somehow not be covered under the warranty.

If it is something you run your business from, then I could see investing in something nicer. I'm going to laugh when I see all the middle school kids freaking out because they dropped one of these.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #73
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
I thought this was supposed to be about the iPhone X and not a room full of children throwing poo at each other?

Grow the fuck up guys.
Oh, but it is. It's about how the iPhone X is inferior.

I would say you must not be a veteran of OT if you are actually surprised here, but your join date and very low post count suggests otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #74
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Meh... not seeing anything from the X that brings me $300 worth of value over the 8.
      09-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #75
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

I have a technical question regarding the iPhone X. I noticed that it comes in two versions, 64GB and 256GB. Can some of our iPhone power users here chime in on how they use their phones with respect to having large amounts of hard drive space (such as 256GB?). Personally, I would like more utility out of my phone for business. I am currently using about 40GB on my iPhone for music, and my company stores our marketing collateral offsite on BOX. It's a pain to log into BOX through Okta when you're on the fly, so one use I thought of was to store aforementioned collateral in iBooks for quick and ready reference during a Sales Call. The latter would probably use 1 - 2 GB's of storage at the max. As all of the apps I use for work are in the Cloud (SalesForce etc.), it's tough to justify 256GB. If Apple is offering 256GB, someone must need this much memory, hence my question. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #76
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
I have a technical question regarding the iPhone X. I noticed that it comes in two versions, 64GB and 256GB. Can some of our iPhone power users here chime in on how they use their phones with respect to having large amounts of hard drive space (such as 256GB?). Personally, I would like more utility out of my phone for business. I am currently using about 40GB on my iPhone for music, and my company stores our marketing collateral offsite on BOX. It's a pain to log into BOX through Okta when you're on the fly, so one use I thought of was to store aforementioned collateral in iBooks for quick and ready reference during a Sales Call. The latter would probably use 1 - 2 GB's of storage at the max. As all of the apps I use for work are in the Cloud (SalesForce etc.), it's tough to justify 256GB. If Apple is offering 256GB, someone must need this much memory, hence my question. TIA.
4K at 60fps surprisingly takes up a lot of space... even with the use of HEVC in iOS11.

But most of all, it's a great way for Apple to make quick buck off of their customers by making the higher tier option more appealing. 64GB is decent in terms of storage, but the 256GB seems like a good value for only $100 more, even though the actual cost between the two storage option is no more than the price of a cup of coffee.

Profit margins. You don't become one of the most valuable companies in the world by being a charity. Nickel and dime the customer while being the best in sales and marketing.

Anyways, I'm a fan of Apple products but don't feel inclined to upgrade anything this year. A lot of the new stuff are welcome features, but overall seems more of a 'catch-up' to its competitors. I'll buy and replace when I need to, more so than want. I have an iPhone 7+ so all of the more important things I am excited about (iOS 11 and ARkit) will be coming to my phone anyway, which is still plenty powerful and competitive in terms of CPU/GPU with other current flagship smart phones on the market.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #77
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
I am a person that keeps a phone for a while. I have an iPhone 5 (original, not the 5s), at the time of purchase I purchased the most storage available; 64GB. Now owning this phone for almost 5 years I have filled up the storage probably 2 times by now. Pictures and videos take up a lot of space, I like all my media in one place.
I also like to back up my phone to my computer. A lot of people will just take the pictures and videos from their phone and dump it onto their computer and if something happens to their computer its all gone. Thats why I always like to keep everything in two places, phone and the computer.
Either way, I digress, I will be purchasing the 256gb model because I keep my phone for longer than most people and 4k video will take up a lot of space. I don't want to be running to my computer to take stuff off my phone to make room. 64Gb on that phone is almost laughable, that is for someone who swaps out phones every year or only uses it as a telephone and email device.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #78
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I've bought 2 Androids, and thought they were both shit - hated them. Every iPhone I've had has worked well. What's your point?
Chief, why do you feel so personally attacked by my statements? Relax.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #79
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Apple doesn't get it first, but they get it RIGHT.
Bingo, currently using a Samsung S8+ and this is how I feel. Can't wait to go back to an Apple device.

They may not be the first with some features (aside from the touchscreen smartphone itself, doesn't that count?). But whatever they implement always works better and is more polished than most features that android tries to do. The fingerprint reader is a classic example I mentioned before, even to this day, Android apps have little to no support for it. It is almost pointless having it if all it can do is unlock your phone.

To the haters saying you'll never touch an Apple device, maybe you should if you haven't, you may change your mind. And to those that have and still prefer something else, that is fine to everyone has their preference. For me, the great camera and screen of the S8+ is not worth the hassle of the poorer user experience of the OS.

Last edited by tdott; 09-13-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
alex23642857.00
      09-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #80
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccyber View Post
Well said. On top of it charge 1150 Dollars for a phone that basically looks like an iPhone 6 but has edged to edge screen?!? Yes there is a 1000 Dollar version but comes with only 64 GB memory. Seriously? I miss when phones were just phones.
PS: My iPhone 5S still works fine. Battery was draining too fast but since paying 79 Dollars fir a new one it works like a charm.
How much different can a phone really look for you to not say it "basically looks like the iphone 6?"

Phones are rectangles with a large screen. Not much you can do to change basic dimensions, thinness, etc.

Apple changed to glass back, put in a unique front screen, stainless border, new colors, different camera orientation, and edge to edge screen.

You want it to be a triangle? All phones basically look the same.

Your line of thinking is flawed. It's always about the software, not the hardware. Apple makes pretty phones, but their software sets them apart. They are not going to build some radical design just to be different. They already did that when they invented the smartphone in 2007 that everyone has copied now. It's the best design.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #81
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Meh... not seeing anything from the X that brings me $300 worth of value over the 8.
iOS.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #82
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
Apologies in advance, the prices quoted are in Australian dollars.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/ga...388e164eb9c14c
Again, this is just comparing specs.

I already can tell you Samsung has great hardware, but the execution is poor. All I've owned is Android and they are supremely overrated despite their specs.

The facial recognition on the iPhone is on entirely different level than anything in the Samsung phones. The AR development is going to be a game changer. Instead of meaningless specs, Apple is focused on usability and what people can actually experience on their phones.

Since Apple actually cares about color accuracy, screen resolution comparisons can be quite misleading. Same goes for cameras.

Apple's RAM management and A processors consistently destroy Samsung in benchmarks and in real life testing. This A11 is a monster. RIP Exynos/Snapdragon.
Appreciate 2
tdott3938.00
      09-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #83
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
How much different can a phone really look for you to not say it "basically looks like the iphone 6?"

Phones are rectangles with a large screen. Not much you can do to change basic dimensions, thinness, etc.

Apple changed to glass back, put in a unique front screen, stainless border, new colors, different camera orientation, and edge to edge screen.

You want it to be a triangle? All phones basically look the same.

Your line of thinking is flawed. It's always about the software, not the hardware. Apple makes pretty phones, but their software sets them apart. They are not going to build some radical design just to be different. They already did that when they invented the smartphone in 2007 that everyone has copied now. It's the best design.
It's cute that you think that Apple invented the smartphone.

Also, history was riddled with triangular-shaped phones until Apple invented the slab in 2007...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #84
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
I am a person that keeps a phone for a while. I have an iPhone 5 (original, not the 5s), at the time of purchase I purchased the most storage available; 64GB. Now owning this phone for almost 5 years I have filled up the storage probably 2 times by now. Pictures and videos take up a lot of space, I like all my media in one place.
I also like to back up my phone to my computer. A lot of people will just take the pictures and videos from their phone and dump it onto their computer and if something happens to their computer its all gone. Thats why I always like to keep everything in two places, phone and the computer.
Either way, I digress, I will be purchasing the 256gb model because I keep my phone for longer than most people and 4k video will take up a lot of space. I don't want to be running to my computer to take stuff off my phone to make room. 64Gb on that phone is almost laughable, that is for someone who swaps out phones every year or only uses it as a telephone and email device.
Meh, I'm still using a 16gb iPhone 6.

Looking forward to 64gb for sure, but that's gonna be more space that I even know what to do with .

Quote:
iOS.
I mean the iPhone X vs. the iPhone 8. Won't they both be running iOS 11?

I've been due for an upgrade for awhile but have been holding off waiting for this generation (since it's the 10th year of iPhone). The X is cool for sure, but I just don't see any of the features being things that will make $300 worth of difference for me.
      09-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #85
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
It's cute that you think that Apple invented the smartphone.

Also, history was riddled with triangular-shaped phones until Apple invented the slab in 2007...
It's cute you think they didn't. Every single smartphone today was spawned from the original iPhone, period. If you think otherwise, you're just in denial. An $800B company was built on that single device and became the most profitable company in the world.

It created an entire industry.

Whatever crap you want to point to that came before the iPhone (there were many) isn't even on the same planet. Apple got it right, clearly. I never said they invented all the technology in the modern smartphone. They invented the correct combination of elements to create a perfect user experience.

There were many smartphones and tablets. They all sucked until Apple got it right and everyone played catch up. BTW, #1 watch in the world too...oh, but that was a flop. LOL...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #86
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Meh, I'm still using a 16gb iPhone 6.

Looking forward to 64gb for sure, but that's gonna be more space that I even know what to do with .

I mean the iPhone X vs. the iPhone 8. Won't they both be running iOS 11?

I've been due for an upgrade for awhile but have been holding off waiting for this generation (since it's the 10th year of iPhone). The X is cool for sure, but I just don't see any of the features being things that will make $300 worth of difference for me.
I personally think the 8 will be a great phone too. I just want the compact design and large screen of the X.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #87
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Got some real fanboys in here, I find it odd how the Apple supporters are on the defensive here...seems like thats how it always is! They must justify why their phone costs 1000, how their faceID is actually different, how they revolutionized the smartphone market.

Interestingly, their stock price took a hit yesterday after revealing their release dates for the X. From what I've read, they have some major supply chain and logistics issues with those OLED screens.

What's so revolutionary about the X, less the OLED screen? For the most part, it's playing catch up on features (wireless charging? welcome to the party, is it even Ip86 yet?). The common consumer doesn't care if the faceID takes into account 3D modeling or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #88
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Time for the lemmings to start lining up at the Apple Store.