E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone have experience with online classes?

08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
Honestly? Right now I would not hire any one who had an education from an online class.
I'm sorry there are way too many qualified folks who have an education from real univesities that are looking for jobs right now that I could hire from.
LOL

Real being what? Almost all universities offer online courses now. Does that mean they're fake? I take classes online for Business Administration, from Grantham University, which has a real, physical campus, because I work full-time and don't have the time to attend the classes in person.

This is a nationally accredited school that I'm getting paid to attend by the Army, to finish schooling that I started at Florida Tech.

Maybe, OP is asking about online schooling because he doesn't have the time to divert towards attending a community college or night classes?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #24
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

I am currently taking online courses at UMUC. I went to a community college for 2 years (personally attending) and transferred to a university. So far I like the laid back, 1 week to finish something small, feeling. It's flexible. Although, sometimes that's not always a good thing...you really need to have motivation for online classes; otherwise you will just not complete the work
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #25
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
I am currently taking online courses at UMUC. I went to a community college for 2 years (personally attending) and transferred to a university. So far I like the laid back, 1 week to finish something small, feeling. It's flexible. Although, sometimes that's not always a good thing...you really need to have motivation for online classes; otherwise you will just not complete the work
Not to be dick, but UMUC doesn't have a great reputation from what I see (living here for a year). Seems like that's where DMVers go for an "easy" degree. My coworker is half-ratard and miraculously has a MBA from UMUC.
If I was a recruiter, I would take someone from a nationally recognized university over a place like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #26
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Online programs are money making machines.
Last I knew Phoenix was owned by some hedge fund.
Sadly and I hate to say this because many are doing this....in a down economy....no. That certificate or whatever it is you are getting from one of these universities just doesn't hold water when compared to someone who actually attended a brick a mortar institution.
And yes you can sign up and go to some classes and take many online and still be ok but things like Phoenix....I'm sorry I have so many people looking for jobs in this day and age that well...an employer can be picky.

Hell even MBA's are now offered online and well those poor guys and gals graduate and employers look at them and think "What you couldn't organize your life to take Saturday classes? What makes me think you can organize your life to work here?"

It sucks I'm sorry but until the economy improves.....its just the way it is. Supply is much much much higher than demand.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #27
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I'm doing my whole Master's degree online...at Northwestern..honestly, I dont think I would ever NOT do an online program again if I went back for more schooling. Like some people have said, motivation is the key turnoff to most people. But in my case, Northwestern has requirements where you can't really slack off. You have to do a certain amount of posts and assignments each week. Yeah, they are all due at the end of the week, so you could wait until the day before to do them, but you could also work ahead if you want. I love the flexibility to letting me do my work on my own time since I work full time as well. Since I'm doing it online, I dont have to go to class in the evenings or take time off work. I can even do some of my postings/homework while I'm at work or on my lunch. I love it and would recommend it, but like some people have also said, you don't necessarily learn AS MUCH as you would going to class. But I've learned a lot and I'm really happy with my decision because my program is offered online or in class.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #28
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
Anyone have experience with online classes?
"...we do..."

signed,
people of walmart
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

I'm in my third year at university, and I've gotten through the first two years with some online classes here and there. I would NEVER take them if they pertained to my major specifically, but for most of the electives and gen ed, sure.

I took intro to computers online.

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #30
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Like I said, it all depends on what curriculum you're taking. A University probably won't offer Calc II online because it's not feasible. But if you're getting a M.F.A. in Fingerpainting, save yourself the time by taking it online.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #31
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

I've taken one class online, it was an elective class. The thing about it is you need to learn the lessons yourself by looking at the weekly material. Other than that no need to go to classes (Sometimes driving 1.5hrs to school and 1.5hrs back home is not worth a 1hr lecture)

Need a reliable computer and reliable internet connection, because if your exam is online, it may be timed and you don't want your internet or computer to die halfway through the exam
Appreciate 0