E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Just what is wrong with Supaguard.......

09-03-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
captain worm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Step

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
2005 e46 320cd  [0.00]
Just what is wrong with Supaguard.......

Hello!
This is my first time posting, so thought I would share a few pictures with you of my new ('06) 330i which I was allowed to spend some time with this weekend!

I know many 'perfectionists' out there claim that supaguard is not what it is cracked up to be, but my last car (sparkling graphite 320Cd E46 m sport coupe) was inadvertently (against my wishes) Supaguarded by the dealer.... I had it for two years and I was very impressed!

I never had much time to spend detailing her, but a quick wash and dry every couple of weeks left the paint in great condition, to the point where I was asked many time what I used to polish and wax it! Even though I never actually waxed it once

So When I picked up my E90, I chose to get a cheap supaguard kit of t'interweb and do it myself.... the results are in the pictures!

I know its not a top job, and I do still plan to apply a bit of decent wax every now and again, but if the paint is as durable to the elements as on my E46 I will be very pleased! Already I am seeing the benefits with some great beading during the weekend rain!

BTW loving the forum...
Attached Images

09-03-2008, 02:32 AM   #2
Mr Plum
A member
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Touring

My understanding is that Supaguard is just a sealant. Nothing wrong with sealants as an alternative to wax (they last a bit longer than a wax application), but its all down to the work that goes in to preparing the paint before its applied.

I know someone who has just bought an M3 and had the dealers apply the supaguard. Whoever did it clearly didn't have a clue as they managed to damage the paintwork quite comprehensively (with a rotary polisher) and the supaguarded on top of that. End result - dull finish with scratches and even burn through in one place!

I'd rather pay a professional car valet/detailer to prep and seal the car than give the money to a dealer to do it, or better still do it myself as you have done! Good work....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
threethirty
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Saloon 2006

Applied properly it looks excellent. I also had an unfortunate experience on a previous car where the rotary polisher ruined the bonnet. Got it fixed but it was hassle.
      09-03-2008, 03:26 AM   #4
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Looks great mate. Congrats and welcome to the forum!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 04:17 AM   #5
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

If you dont have the time/inclination to look after the paintwork, and it is applied well over nicely prepped paint, it is fine.

There are better products out there though, and for the money the dealer charges, you could have a professional detail done instead, which will be miles better
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #6
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Plum View Post
I'd rather pay a professional car valet/detailer to prep and seal the car than give the money to a dealer to do it
+1

thats exactly what i will be doing next time. I have just recently had my car detailed and he made a excellent job, which also worked out considerably cheaper than the dealers application.

congratualtions and enjoy your new car ... there is no way you can tell its a O6

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
The main issues with Supaguard from a dealer is the cost and then the care that they take when applying it. I seem to remember that a kit can be bought for about £20, but stealers charge £200-£300 for it.

I'd rather do it myself than let a dealer "give it a go"

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 06:00 AM   #8
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

My dealer threw Supaguard in as a 'no cost' option on my new M3 cab, and like the original poster, I was initially concerned about having it applied after reading lots of negative posts. But I have to say I am thoroughly impressed with the results. The paintwork looks gleaming everytime I hose and wipe it down. On a recent roadtrip to Spain (review and pics http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167985 ) I must have killed about 10,000 flies on the front of the car, but they were very easy to remove, largely I believe because of the Supaguard.
      09-03-2008, 06:04 AM   #9
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
You fly murderer you!! lol!!

Wonder how many flies I kill this weekend on the way to the Ring
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Wonder how many flies I kill this weekend on the way to the Ring
If you can still read your front plate by the end of the weekend you're not trying to kill them hard enough!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #11
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
I must have killed about 10,000 flies on the front of the car, but they were very easy to remove, largely I believe because of the Supaguard.
interesting ... it might be worth investing in some just to do my front bumper area. Those baked on flies are a knightmare to remove. Just a tip, if you havent all ready you can get a special bug remover sponge from asda for about £2 and really helps to remove them.

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #12
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

As stated above, it’s all in the preparation before you get anywhere near to applying the sealer.

Most Dealers do not understand the inner sanctum world of true ‘Detailing’ and thus, will apply the Supaguard product – which is good if done correctly, but still very, very overpriced, in the same way as cleaning and waxing their kitchen floor.

First decide whether you want to go the Sealer or Wax approach.

Then invest in some good products

Then have at it!

The following sites are fantastic resources for true detailing. But beware; detailing can become addictive, when you see the results You can do rather than the dealer!

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

http://autopia.org/forum/

http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/

http://www.showcardetailing.com/index.php?

Have fun!

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #13
agh!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

My objections to Supaguard would be, it doesn't last any better than other sealants and the top up polish you get is incredibly hard work to buff off.
I would also complain about how much dealers charge to do it, but as you have DIY that's not such an issue.

No complaints about the end result otherwise, you've done a nice job there
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #14
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
You've brought back memories posting pics. of your car. Very nice

I agree with the others, think supaguard in its own right is fine but the price dealers charge to apply it is ott when detailers are available. But have to say, you have done a good job.

Enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
If you can still read your front plate by the end of the weekend you're not trying to kill them hard enough!

Matt

As I haven't got supaguard, I'm driving over with a fly net on the car!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #16
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you are getting it FOC in the deal, the paint quality is great to start with and you want a minimal maintenance care free once in a blue moon wash and clean product.....then Supaguard, Lifeshine, Diamondbrite are all OK.

If you have £300 burning a hole in your pocket and you want a fantastic finish to your new car then spend it with a quality detailer who will give you a bespoke job for you and your car.

As previously posted see www.detailingworld.co.uk plus others to find a detailer in your area.

Any TLC on your car is better than no TLC
Appreciate 0