E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > Is this in "mint" condition or was i lied to?

View Poll Results: Is this in "mint" condition or even close to that?
Yes, apologize. 23 40.35%
No, you have a valid point. 34 59.65%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

04-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Is this in "mint" condition or was i lied to?

So, i recently bought an Acer Ferrari 1100 Laptop from a member named "Aoshichanx" and here is a statement he made on this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshichanX View Post
Laptop has been used for 6 months and has normal wear and tear. It is still in mint condition--the keyboard is almost new looking and matte without any oil shine.
I was pleased to have bought a nice addition to my Ferrari memorabilia collection from a member of such repute and even agreed to him continuing to use a laptop for a whole week after having fully paid for it .

I finally got it today and to my surprise, found that it has a number of chips and a particularly nasty dent on the case. Worse still, the screen part had very little resistance and was loose like jelly.

This video should detail that:

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5RlA03VtcsE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5RlA03VtcsE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

So, we had a little round of PM's and he contends that it is normal wear and tear and has no part in it because of the extensive documentation he had provided of the thing during the sale.

All i want to know from you guys is if you would accept this laptop for what it is after what the seller had told you about it. Please look at the description he graciously provided on his thread and tell me what you think of this fiasco.

(Please peruse his thread)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251817

I need an independent opinion on the matter, i don't much care for pointing fingers and e-recriminations flying around. The seller can point out if i had wrongly stated anything.

Thanks.
Attached Images

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.

Last edited by blue2fire; 04-29-2009 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
CV335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 MCS

Pic is kinda blurry but that is not "normal wear and tear" and definitely is not in "mint" condition. You didn't got any pics before the transaction took place?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

1. It was a compliment, not a statement that you continuously advertised your reputation.

2.Did i say otherwise?

3.I had no reason to bother you for more pictures and videos because i expected what you said, a laptop in "mint" condition or are you going to dispute saying that as well?

The loose screen is not an emotional issue, please show me another laptop that comes with such a loose one.

I don't much care for your extensive documentation if all i ended up with was this. I created this thread to see if it was acceptable for the screen to be that loose. You think it was normal, i just don't and we need consensus on the issue.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Name:  Picture 014.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  384.4 KB

Another picture.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
This is my last post regarding this matter*. I just wanted to clarify your two points of contention
It is not just about E90post members unfortunately. I was just seeking a layman's opinion.

*Good riddance, you lied about this and you know it.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Thank you for your strictly statistical opinion. I hope you are not implying that E90post members are something other than Human Beings with a perfectly serviceable common sense.

P.S: Please keep your promise, i know that there is nothing to be achieved upon extended dialogue with you over this matter. Thanks....

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I'm not taking anyone's side here since I don't personally know either of you so this is strictly my opinion. IMO, mint means flawless condition. By definition it's like new condition. For example, if I sell a camera and say it's "mint" it would mean that the camera runs perfectly, no scratches, dent, fade, etc.

OP- some laptops have loose screens. In other words, when you open and close it it feels loose. However, once propped up if it doesn't flip then it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Dictionary:

Quote:
Mint condition is an expression used in the description of pre-owned goods. Originally, the phrase comes from the way collectors describe the condition of coins. As the name given to a coin factory is a 'mint', then mint condition is the condition a coin is in as it leaves the mint. Over time, the term "mint" began to be used to describe many different items having excellent, like-new quality.

When describing trading cards, perfect condition is used to describe the condition as it is when pulled from a pack, mint would be new but opened.

Mint condition is often used to describe a collectible item such as a model figure, doll, or toy that has never been removed from its box (NRFB[1]), or in some cases is as good as new without any scratches or other damage. The term is also very widely used in record collecting and comic books.

MOC (Mint On Card) is sometimes used to described mint condition collectibles like action figures.
My opinion:
Definitely not mint. Personally I don't see why the seller doesn't just take it back and make the buyer pay for shipping and 15% for restocking/reselling effort.

Anyways, Aoshichanx is a respected member of this forum and I respect his detailing ability; unless he provided evidence of that dent, I find it hard to believe someone that restores cars to mint status would call that laptop mint...

Last edited by vgame64; 04-29-2009 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Since you require further clarification: the average e90post member can be considered more picky than the average layperson due to income and other correlational factors
Okay, since we are both members, should we not be held to the same yardstick?

Quote:
On the other hand I had offered to file a claim with USPS for shipping damages, but because finals are nearing, I stated I would do it in June. From my experience, these claims take up to a month to sort out. I do not have the time to fax and continuously speak with representatives this month. I even sent the OP links for him to file the claim himself, which he can do online.
I would wait but you are talking about 2 months later, isn't the point to report it to them as early as possible?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
Mazen
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
That dent in OP's picture is neither shown in the pictures of the seller nor has been mentioned before purchase (OP obviously didn't know about it) and that's just wrong, all scratches and dents should have been pointed out.

Just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazen View Post
That dent in OP's picture is neither shown in the pictures of the seller nor has been mentioned before purchase (OP obviously didn't know about it) and that's just wrong, all scratches and dents should have been pointed out.

Just my $0.02
Well the seller did say that it wasn't pictured in the for sale thread (no dent was found). Thus it might have just been dented later on (perhaps during shipping??). Either way I would file a claim ASAP. It will take them up to a few weeks to get everything resolved.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
I provided a remedy for OP to file claim himself. He found this remedy unacceptable.
Well, i found it unacceptable due to the fact that it was not damaged during shipping (by your own admission) and i had no part in it either. I don't think you messing it up equates to me filing the claims, particularly so when you consider that i did not sign for it (was unceremoniously left near the door).

You can see in the very PM you posted that i was doing everything possible to reach an "amicable settlement". This obviously didn't mean anything to you.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
I stated it does not appear there was damage but rather it stemmed from your dissatisfaction with the notebook.
Okay, thank you for finally understanding what i was trying to point to you all along. I look forward to that claim come June.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #14
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

not trying to step anyone's toes but here are the before and after shipping pictures

Before shiping this is the only pictures i found with this corner angle

After the buyer got the laptops
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

LOL, mint? Not so much.....
      04-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #16
KrysAlpineE92
Live, Love, E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White E92

how was it shipped? what was it wrapped in etc? because that dent is definitely from an impact. If it were dropped or thrown during shipping the dent made would not be a small puncture wound. Are there any indications of foul play on the box he mailed you? If the box was in good condition and the laptop was wrapped in anything protective then it was damaged before mailing. Im pretty sure the bubble wrap or packing peanuts wouldnt cause an impact dent.

if you have the box...and its in good condition you can take photos and use it as evidence.

and in response to AoshichanX's smug response to the lawsuit have to be in the city.... the plaintiff gets to decide the terms upon with he sues you buddy. Thus, he could sue you for the money back, legal expenses and his transportation. It is the judges discretion was to what he is rewarded with in the end.

none the less...in regards to AoshichanX's comment about it nearing finals...well... finals actually end in the next two weeks on a NATIONAL level and not in JULY...so why on earth it would take you two months to file a claim I have no idea.. maybe in a hope that the guy who started this thread would give up and drop it.

I mean no disrespect but to be honest it doenst seem like the OP has been treated fairly and I wish him luck in getting this issue resolved

04-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #17
KrysAlpineE92
Live, Love, E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White E92

Quote:

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, frustrating though it may be. And what was I denying exactly. It is extremely frustrating when members, new ones at that, who make such general statements so cavalierly.

Did you actually even read my post?
haha nice post. yeah I read it and thats what made me respond. If you are innocent of this then just relax man, because it will all work out in you favor in the end. However, instead of waiting til July for some unclear reason why dont you just file it now so the guy doesn't feel the need to take the matter further? that would be a smart decision because its actually protecting you... that obviously didn't cross your mind. You dont think it would stack up better for you if you help the guy? rather than throwing all the work at him? It doesn't make you look very honest when you dismiss a guy who is raising a point about something he was dissatisfied with, which he has the right to do. Last time I checked a forum was about discussing things?

Oh and in regards to me being a new member? what an incredibly witty comment, but you see...I wasn't aware that you had to be an almighty and established member of e90post or even be a bavarian engineer to make a statement about a hacked up laptop. Nice try though buddy, it makes for good reading. Sounds like you moved up from taking kids lunch money to picking on the new kid.

Why don't you save yourself the potential problems and the way you are being made to look and actually help the guy. Sorry to say it, if the laptop got to his house in perfect packaging then it is obvious what it is really going on here. I guess we'll find out.

04-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #18
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:

OP had two issues: loose screen and a dent.

The loose screen is typical of the notebook series and the OP is being picky. I challenge the OP to find a Ferrari 1100 that does not have this characteristic. Prior to the OP's complaint, I had never even noticed the screen being loose as an issue.
New Video as you still seem to not sympathize:

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5RlA03VtcsE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5RlA03VtcsE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Do you still contend that this ultraportable was designed that way?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 01:56 AM   #19
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Either way, I practically no longer care about the OP's best interests; I cannot control the will of the members of this forum--hence why I am replying once again.

Aside from this, OP's only other viable remedy is his touted Amex CC charge back. Maybe he should just do that instead. I hear Amex is very generous in its claim process.
  • Paypal will likely not even entertain a refund because there was no subject line in payment, and the goods were delivered as promised through Paypal approved USPS delivery confirmation.
  • Small claims court will review the case. However, OP must sue me in my city; thus, he will have to fly to California. Opportunity cost dictates this is not worthwhile because that dent is purely cosmetic and the laptop is otherwise in good condition.
  • Definitely no refund from me. I will not refund because I have operated in good faith.
Lastly, you all need to realize I owe no further legal duty to the OP. The only reason I filed the damages claim is out of moral obligation. And, as stated earlier you guys are making it increasingly difficult for me to continue to feel inclined to do so.
Yes, this became very apparent with your responses to my PM's. You wouldnt lie about the state of something you were selling if you put my best interests at heart, would you?

The only reason i didnt call my CC company was because i recieved the laptop and you fulfilled part of your service. It would be unscrupulous to do such a thing without trying to work it out and that would be one of your traits, not mine.

You also know that i NEVER asked you for a refund, i was looking for merely a fix to the issue of that loose screen with a public apology probably for just not stating the dents and scratches. Just keep clowning yourself with lame responses to this thread, you know they are false and so does every human being within an inch of this malarkey.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:56 AM   #20
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Quote:
I already made several lengthy replies to this thread explaining the issue.

OP had two issues: loose screen and a dent.

The loose screen is typical of the notebook series and the OP is being picky. I challenge the OP to find a Ferrari 1100 that does not have this characteristic. Prior to the OP's complaint, I had never even noticed the screen being loose as an issue.

I did not know of the dent beforehand. I honestly thought it was in mint condition for a laptop having been used for 6 months. However, that picture uploaded by Kit suggests otherwise. So, if Kit523 were able to spot it, then arguably the OP is guilty of contributory negligence. After all, OP owes a duty to himself of due diligence prior to purchase. I filed a damages claim with USPS yesterday night anyway.

Upon filing the claim, I deleted all my replies because I do not want claims to discover I am currently undergoing a dispute with the buyer. I felt it was better for claims to think OP and I had a united front.

However, you guys are making this increasingly difficult. I am more than fed up at this point and almost no longer even care. I tried to refrain from posting, but you guys need to realize that bumping this thread only hurts the OP's chances of remedy through USPS.

Either way, I practically no longer care about the OP's best interests; I cannot control the will of the members of this forum--hence why I am replying once again.

Aside from this, OP's only other viable remedy is his touted Amex CC charge back. Maybe he should just do that instead. I hear Amex is very generous in its claim process.
  • Paypal will likely not even entertain a refund because there was no subject line in payment, and the goods were delivered as promised through Paypal approved USPS delivery confirmation.
  • Small claims court will review the case. However, OP must sue me in my city; thus, he will have to fly to California. Opportunity cost dictates this is not worthwhile because that dent is purely cosmetic and the laptop is otherwise in good condition.
  • Definitely no refund from me. I will not refund because I have operated in good faith.
Lastly, you all need to realize I owe no further legal duty to the OP. The only reason I filed the damages claim is out of moral obligation. And, as stated earlier you guys are making it increasingly difficult for me to continue to feel inclined to do so.

Sounds like an attorney to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #21
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
not mint for sure, from the picture(before shipped) it already looked damaged.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #22
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I've used an Acer Ferrari before and it did not have a loose screen like in the buyer's video.

To the buyer...you might want to check out another one for comparisons sake.
Appreciate 0