E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP Please!!! 2007-328i Won't start and key slide stuck in ignition!!!

02-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Jsilver05
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Angry HELP Please!!! 2007-328i Won't start and key slide stuck in ignition!!!

Anyone please HELP!!

Ok, I have a 2007 328I I bought 4 months ago from an Infiniti dealer. Just had to buy 2 new tires for rear due to wear on inside treads all the way down to the radials!!!

Last weekend, we went on road trip and parked car for an hour. Came out and nothing, couldn't open doors, lights, or start. Tried jumping with charger and still NOTHING!! I had to have it towed 100 miles to dealer, but luckily BMW Assist paid for it. Turns out BMW Dealer had to replace battery for $368 bucks!! UGH.....

Fast forward to today.... wife took car to Infiniti for buff and detail this morning that was owed to us. She parked car in service drive ... left key slide in ignition for service people. Got loaner car and left. Service advisor calls a couple hours later, and said the car won't start and can't get the key out of ignition!!

They tried and tried but key wouldn't release. No power to anything. After hours of calls between them and BMW service... still nothing. Dealer tried to charge and still nothing. Tested battery voltage and it was 13 volts at battery in trunk and under hood on battery charging post!!! Still no lights, or power to anything!!!

As I was on phone for tow truck to pick up, Dealer calls and says he went back out to car one more time and the car started!! Now I can't trust it... don't know when it will start or not!!!

BMW mentioned a time-out feature if door locks were clicked repeatedly, but this wasn't done cuz key was in ignition. BMW Dealer said the key slide may be bad.... but that was before it started up again!!!

BMW Dealer doesn't seem to have any more ideas of cause!! I'm not up for another $600 bill there either.

SO WHAT HAPPENED?? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone have this problem before???

Thanks....
Disappointed 1st time BMW owner
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

It could be that the car was in a collision and it set off the charge that blows the cord from the battery, and when it was fixed, someone did it wrong and there's a short from the battery to the ECU
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 C63

maybe the infiniti dealer wasn't aware of how to start the car.
maybe they didn't know you had to press the brake and start button at the same time or to push the key in then pull it out instead of just tugging on it.
      02-17-2011, 04:41 AM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What's the warranty status of the vehicle? If it's under warranty, let the BMW dealership worry about it. An Infiniti dealership doesn't have the "pipeline" to BMWNA, which imho is the key. It's what keeps the indies from truly taking all the business away from a BMW franchise. Sounds weird, but a BMW not starting can be anything, it's no longer as simple as fuel or spark...good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

maybe they left the car in Reverse? I tried once just pulled the Ebrake and switched off the car. After a while i couldnt start the car and my key was stuck! Then i found out that i left the car in Reverse. (i was talking to the friend besides me so i left the key in the car)

Last edited by FVM3; 02-17-2011 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Jsilver05
Rep

Thanks for your replies.... let me add some info.
-So the car was in park and not reverse at the dealership.
-They sell BMW's there, so they are familiar with them. I instructed them later on, how to push brake in, and push in key slide before pulling out. And it still didn't work.
-The car just went out of warranty now.
-The CarFax is clean... no collisions or reported accidents.

BMW Service Advisor did say, if you lock/unlock the doors multiple times in a row, after awhile it locks you out and the car shuts down!

So ... is there some security feature where if the key is left in ignition for a period of time, that the car goes to "sleep" for some set period of time???
Or if you hold in the start button too long or hit a couple of times???

This has had to of happened to someone out there!!!! Can't believe I'd be the only one!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
monkawekrue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 AW

Garage List
that sucks. sry no idea
      02-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsilver05 View Post
Thanks for your replies.... let me add some info.
-So the car was in park and not reverse at the dealership.
-They sell BMW's there, so they are familiar with them. I instructed them later on, how to push brake in, and push in key slide before pulling out. And it still didn't work.
-The car just went out of warranty now.
-The CarFax is clean... no collisions or reported accidents.

BMW Service Advisor did say, if you lock/unlock the doors multiple times in a row, after awhile it locks you out and the car shuts down!

So ... is there some security feature where if the key is left in ignition for a period of time, that the car goes to "sleep" for some set period of time???
Or if you hold in the start button too long or hit a couple of times???

This has had to of happened to someone out there!!!! Can't believe I'd be the only one!
I've never heard of those before. Opening the car door will wake the computer up if it's sleeping.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
It could be that the car was in a collision and it set off the charge that blows the cord from the battery, and when it was fixed, someone did it wrong and there's a short from the battery to the ECU
Seriously? But if it blew the cord to the battery during the collision how is the BMW Assist going to call for help?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
Seriously? But if it blew the cord to the battery during the collision how is the BMW Assist going to call for help?
If you read my post I said that when they were fixing it, they might have done a half-ass job and that there could be a short somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07E92TT View Post
maybe they didn't know you had to press the brake and start button at the same time or to push the key in then pull it out instead of just tugging on it.
This happened to me the first time I tried to start an E90. I think I sat there for 15 minutes pushing the start button and just seeing the cold temperature warning. Good to know that it probably happens to others.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
laperacfo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2012 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07E92TT View Post
All new Infiniti's come with "Comfort Access" standard. They also need to depress the brake when pressing the start engine button. I'm sure the Infiniti sales and service are more than knowledgeable when starting the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
jsr
Rep
Drives: E92 320i

I think have the exact same problem with my 2007 E92. The dealer can't find anything wrong with it! So I never know when this is going to happen again...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Wow, that sucks. Used cars are definitely a gamble. You have no clue what the owner did to the car? Did he DIY? If so, did he break something? Was he sick of the car and traded it in for a "more reliable" infinity? Who knows.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
968tomr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

This post went up last Thursday.

I doubt the car is still in this condition. OP - can you give us an update?

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
Jsilver05
Rep

(Con't) - Part 2 - HELP Please!!! 2007-328i Won't start and key slide stuck in igniti

Hello all .... well here is the latest update.
RECAP: 2007 328I with 54K miles and out of warranty and bought 3.5 months ago!!

So the car finally "magically" started in the Service lane at the Infiniti dealer last Wednesday and received car back the next day.

So fast forward to THIS MORNING!
Wife drives to work but makes a quick stop at store. Tries to open door with key slide.... and nothing. She gets in car with VALET key. Puts key in dash, a couple times and nothing. No dash, no NAV... nothing. Then finally it came to life and started.
Then she proceeds down the road and while driving the dash, NAV and computers go "blank". Then the car also sputters like it was going to die!!
After about 4 or 5 seconds, the dash and everything come back up.

Then on way, we were on phone talking thru the car's Bluetooth and the line went dead. Called her cell phone back and apparently, there was another incident of the car "blanking" out.

Talked to BMW Service shop in town, who gave me a couple tips to see what might be the cause.

Tonight I go out to car, to see if car will wake up from sleeping when door is opened and it did the first time. Go back out later and the car is dead. No lights come on when door is opened, Key Slide doesn't unlock/lock doors or trunk won't open.
Put key in dash a couple times to try and start and NOTHING!!!!
Hoping it starts in morning so I can take to service shop(not BMW Dealership ... yet!!!)

Again... car was in park, I'm putting foot on brake while starting, NEW BATTERY(2 weeks old), etc, etc...

So..... power module problem, CCE problem, CAS problem or Key Slide problem???

Has anyone replaced these or what it cost to fix at Dealership?? IF it's going to be alot, I'll be parking it back at INFINITI!!!

Do I have any recourse with INFINITI? Bought it 3.5 months ago!!!!

Thanks........
-Still Disappointed

P.S. -Beginning to think that we should've stuck with the E-Series BENZ!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #17
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

I would say if the infinite dealer have some sort of buy back program, i would give it back to them, really.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #18
968tomr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I know you must have checked this...

But does your car have Comfort Access? Is the battery in the key dead?

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #19
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I'd try rotating the connection on the battery terminals.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #20
Jsilver05
Rep

HELP ***07 BMW won't start -Saga continues .....

UPDATE 02/24 ********

So here is the latest......
I got up this morning and the car "woke up" meaning all lights came on when I opened the door. It started right up and I was enroute to local BMW service shop(not Dealer). I had to stop for gas... and was feeling confident. So I pulled in and pumped my gas. Then..... it didn't start, no lights, no dash, no light by gear shift, nothing....
So I was stranded once again. Waited awhile and tried again hoping that maybe it would wake up, but never did.
Ended going to Infiniti Dealership to have a coming to Jesus meeting with him. He was actually pretty receptive. I told him, they can have the car back and I'll get something comparable on their lot. BUT I'm not putting another dime out on this car!!!!

He suggested getting it to BMW Dealership, let them diagnose and have the Service Advisor call him with findings. Then we would go from there! Don't know if that translates to "we'll pay for it!" or not though. Only good thing today was that BMW Roadside covered my towing to Scottsdale!!

I find it hard to believe that no one has ever had this problem!! Crazy ... maybe I should go buy some lottery tickets!!

I do not have Comfort Access, so I can't change battery in remote. For the cars without CA, you have to replace the whole slide key at $236.86. But at this point... I would welcome spending only $200 bucks to fix it.

Should know more tomorrow..... I'll be sure to share!! Hopefully, I won't be asking for donations!!! LOL....

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #21
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
I had a similar issue. Your TCU needs to be checked out.. more than liekly replaced. They may also need to check some other component too that costs 600 by itself.. i forgot what its called but it has to do with authenticating your key before starting the engine.

TCU has everything to do with Bluetooth or any audio. If its not working properly, i drive will restart periodically.
Check BMW. Expensive.. but its going to be resolved. I dont think its just your key.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #22
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

I had this same problem.. at first they thought it was the battery then a week and a half later it happened again so it went to a different dealership.. and they found out it was the junction boxes (i think they replaced two of them) and they also replaced the wire running from the battery to the ignition maybe? not too sure but ever since then no problems.. tell them to check the junction boxes and the battery wire
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0