E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP Please!!! 2007-328i Won't start and key slide stuck in ignition!!!

02-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #23
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I'd try rotating the connection on the battery terminals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuba View Post
I had this same problem.. at first they thought it was the battery then a week and a half later it happened again so it went to a different dealership.. and they found out it was the junction boxes (i think they replaced two of them) and they also replaced the wire running from the battery to the ignition maybe? not too sure but ever since then no problems.. tell them to check the junction boxes and the battery wire

+3 If the car was not in an accident, then see if the battery is original. If it is original it will have a BMW stamp on it with a date. If not, then prior owner screwed up the install and maybe damaged the battery cable or didn't tighten the connections properly.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I can't understand how repeatedly locking and unlocking the doors will "lock you out". Those of us with Comfort Access who wash their cars with the key fob in our pocket routinely experience the repeated lock cycling when spraying the door handle with water (Damn, when will I remember to leave the fob in the house?). And no one has reported the door locks becoming inoperative.

I did have a tough electrical problem on a recently purchased CPO '07 328i. The alternator was intermittently overcharging the battery and the car occaisionally (but not often) stalled out. A "Low Battery Voltage" warning also appeared, but infrequently. After replacing the alternator twice, the problem was finally traced to the IBS unit which was falsely reporting a low battery condition and causing the alternator to throw out as much as 17 volts. Replacing the IBS unit solved the problem and the car is still doing nicely on the original 3 1/2 year old battery. As my dealer had never ecountered this before, perhaps, you could suggest that the BMW dealer check this out.

Good luck & let us know how it is finally resolved.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #25
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I can't understand how repeatedly locking and unlocking the doors will "lock you out". Those of us with Comfort Access who wash their cars with the key fob in our pocket routinely experience the repeated lock cycling when spraying the door handle with water (Damn, when will I remember to leave the fob in the house?). And no one has reported the door locks becoming inoperative.

I did have a tough electrical problem on a recently purchased CPO '07 328i. The alternator was intermittently overcharging the battery and the car occaisionally (but not often) stalled out. A "Low Battery Voltage" warning also appeared, but infrequently. After replacing the alternator twice, the problem was finally traced to the IBS unit which was falsely reporting a low battery condition and causing the alternator to throw out as much as 17 volts. Replacing the IBS unit solved the problem and the car is still doing nicely on the original 3 1/2 year old battery. As my dealer had never ecountered this before, perhaps, you could suggest that the BMW dealer check this out.

Good luck & let us know how it is finally resolved.

Tom
Yes thats it.. IBS is what they did for me too. I couldnt start the car or put on AC but I could listen to ready mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #26
awdghst
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

07 328i

Not trying to Hijack your thread but I am having the same issue on a 2007 328i. I have a neighbor who's granddaughter owns a 2007 328i. She came out one day and the car has no power at all got a jump it fired right up she drove it for the day and parked it. Came out a few hour's later and the car has no power at all no dome light , no locks, no trunk light, nothing I have checked the battery and the post under the hood and all checks out fine. I have been pulling my hair out for 5 days now over this and have no idea what is wrong neither does the dealership. I removed the battery took it to a few places and they say the battery is perfect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #27
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
+1 for washing the car with the CA in pocket. Mine locked unlocked 20 times before i had to put everything down and clean myself up to get into the house lol!

Just reading this thread is frustrating. I would not put up with being stranded that many times. Its nice that the infiiniti dealer stepped up, hopefully they'll back it up.
I guess CPO is the way to go. Man being out of warranty is gonna be scary (i already have the cpo warranty)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #28
Jsilver05
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

UPDATE ---- 2007 Won't start ....

Well, sorry it took so long to post an update. But here goes:
So as it finally made it to the Dealership they determined that the battery cable that runs from the battery to the fuse panel behind the glove box was bad. Apparently, something shorted(maybe from jumping or re-charging) and it melted the cable into the fuse panel which shorted it out causing intermittant failures.

Now the bad news... the battery cable runs under the seats and the carpet to the fuse panel behind glove box. So the whole interior needs to be removed along with the dash. The battery cable is $400 bucks and the fuse panel is $200. However the majority of the bill is the Labor. So it was almost $3,100 to fix it.

Now the GOOD news... after my discussion with the Infiniti dealer I bought it at, they agreed to pick up the whole cost!!! So I'm really impressed that Infiniti stepped up to cover this as a customer satisfaction issue.

So it all worked out ok. All seems to be good with the car now!! Hopefully, this will be the last of my issues and helpful to someone in the future!

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #29
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I'm glad to heat the Infiniti dealer found the problem and ate the cost. That was a nice gesture. Please enjoy your BMW!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #30
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

now that trade it in and get an Infiniti
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #31
Tungtr09
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsilver05 View Post
Anyone please HELP!!

Ok, I have a 2007 328I I bought 4 months ago from an Infiniti dealer. Just had to buy 2 new tires for rear due to wear on inside treads all the way down to the radials!!!

Last weekend, we went on road trip and parked car for an hour. Came out and nothing, couldn't open doors, lights, or start. Tried jumping with charger and still NOTHING!! I had to have it towed 100 miles to dealer, but luckily BMW Assist paid for it. Turns out BMW Dealer had to replace battery for $368 bucks!! UGH.....

Fast forward to today.... wife took car to Infiniti for buff and detail this morning that was owed to us. She parked car in service drive ... left key slide in ignition for service people. Got loaner car and left. Service advisor calls a couple hours later, and said the car won't start and can't get the key out of ignition!!

They tried and tried but key wouldn't release. No power to anything. After hours of calls between them and BMW service... still nothing. Dealer tried to charge and still nothing. Tested battery voltage and it was 13 volts at battery in trunk and under hood on battery charging post!!! Still no lights, or power to anything!!!

As I was on phone for tow truck to pick up, Dealer calls and says he went back out to car one more time and the car started!! Now I can't trust it... don't know when it will start or not!!!

BMW mentioned a time-out feature if door locks were clicked repeatedly, but this wasn't done cuz key was in ignition. BMW Dealer said the key slide may be bad.... but that was before it started up again!!!

BMW Dealer doesn't seem to have any more ideas of cause!! I'm not up for another $600 bill there either.

SO WHAT HAPPENED?? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone have this problem before???

Thanks....
Disappointed 1st time BMW owner
I had this problem before on my 2008 335xi the dealership ended up replacing some wires that got fried some how.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #32
glenndehaven
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 conv

I have a 328 2007 conv doing the same thing. I bought it new from the dealer and only the dealers has worked on the car. They replaced the battery, the negative cable and 2 juntion boxes.A couple of weeks go by, starts doing the same thing, you know when the problem hits because when it resets(power comes back on its own) you need to reset the clock. Back at the dealer now. If they fix it i will post what they found.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #33
iamlovelyboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 bmw328i

Wow. Exact same problem happened to me now. Still fighting with extended warranty to cover it. 10 hrs of labor cost will kill me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #34
Raj_t
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I had the same problem, after doing a google search went to my dealer with a copy of this forum only to be told nothing was wrong. This was when the car was under warranty fast forward 2 months later, started having the problem again. While Idling on a parking lot power shut off. Brought this to the dealer only to be told , that the on board computer generated an error and needed to reboot. But they didn't find a fault on the key. A month later, i tried to start my car it won't start. Called BMW roadside assistance, when the tow truck showed up car started working. Drove it straight to the dealer only to be told " some one tried to break in to my car". I was like ok, and was driving on the highway back home. Power shuts for nearly 3-4 seconds on the car. Having a 18 wheeler tailing me I taught it was over. Thank God Car powered up and I shifted the gear to Sports Mode and pressed the pedal to metal . With this I was fed up and reported to problem to Transport Canada. They instructed me to contact BMW Canada. Which I did, they referred me to the service manager at the dealership. He asked me to bring the car In. I once again told him about the issue and I have heard other people on the forum talking about it. He tells me that the dealership sells about 700 3 series a year and they never heard this before. I say ok lets figure out the problem. I get a call next day asking me how many hours I would want them to spend to diagnose the problem on car since its not on the warranty anymore. The cost was $128 an hour the need minimum 2.5 hours. I said go ahead.

I get a call later in the day saying exactly what I been telling them for nearly three months. But its going to cost me $517 parts and at least 6 hours of labor @ $128. I told them I brought this to you guys before when it was under warranty you guys didn't bother doing anything now you want me to pay. I was like no way, they suggested 50% off labor and parts. I'll fill you guys in on Monday what happened.

Last edited by Raj_t; 10-22-2011 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #35
ohjenxo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

This is happening to me at the moment for my 2006 330i...

No lights are on and it won't turn on and the key is stuck in.

-The car is in park
-I tried wiggling the wheel
-I tried holding the button
-Pressed and held the brake
-Emergency brake is off
-Cannot shift gears
-Closed door, opened door
-Replaced battery a week ago and have driven it since

I called the dealership and they're no help at all.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #36
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohjenxo View Post

-The car is in park
-Emergency brake is off
-Cannot shift gears

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!
Jump it? Did you do the battery yourself?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #37
J_Churchill
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohjenxo View Post

-The car is in park
-Emergency brake is off
-Cannot shift gears

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

Same thing happened to me, I battled it for months!! Turns out there is a recall for the positive cable that runs from the battery to the back of the fuse box. It is very dangerous it came over heat and melt to the fuse box and possibly catch fire. If you reach behind the fuse box on the top right you can wiggle that positive cable and your car will come back alive again at least for awhile. I had mine fixed about 6 months ago. I live in Juneau Ak we do not have a BMW dealership and no way to get to one without a 1000.00 almost 4 day ferry ride to Bellingham WA. So I had to pay out of pocket for the recall parts and labor!! Fixed the problem. Now 6 months later it is starting to act the same👿!! I don't get it!! Car dead and damn key won't come out!! I have a 07 328xi which at this point I want to burn to the ground!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #38
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

You just replied to a really old post.

|instagram@underground6t9|
Appreciate 0