E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb Stage 2 + FMIC on meth discussion

09-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #23
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Spraying a smaller M5 nozzle might benefit for heat soak otherwise the only benefit would be to increase ignition and maybe more top end boost. But you know this already.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #24
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Spraying a smaller M5 nozzle might benefit for heat soak otherwise the only benefit would be to increase ignition and maybe more top end boost. But you know this already.
if you were referring to my post, I meant more of a comparison to see if it effected my performance in a negative way like themyst is saying might be happening with cobb stage 2 + meth
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:56 AM   #25
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
K.. yes the theory says so..but in the case of the COBB tune we have evidence to the contrary...so I am def interetsed to know why...I realize that if you dont have a tune set-up for meth/race fuel.. it would detract from expected results...but in this case we seem to have engine parameters going 180 degrees the opposite way..

A reflash tune that sees little to no timing drops in hotter ambient temp vs cooler ambient temp will not have a remedy w meth/race fuel etc..if anything I would expect that a reflash-tune (being that it is pump gas tune) would simply not be able to take advantage of meth/race-fuel..and as result make the same or more conservative logs.

But here we have timing drops in cooler weather vs hot weather...as opposed to just less power or less boost being made..something doesnt add up..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 02:12 AM   #26
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

basically in a nutshell, running meth on this map is pointless unless someone can show otherwise.
      09-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #27
Bash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92-335i

Myst, i thought you were going to do a comparison between Jb4 and the stages of Cobb on the dyno, is that still on your schedule?

COBB S2+ - Mr.5 CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, AMS FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #28
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Myst, i thought you were going to do a comparison between Jb4 and the stages of Cobb on the dyno, is that still on your schedule?
was going to do it last saturday, but the dyno was booked.
      09-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
K.. yes the theory says so..but in the case of the COBB tune we have evidence to the contrary...so I am def interetsed to know why...I realize that if you dont have a tune set-up for meth/race fuel.. it would detract from expected results...but in this case we seem to have engine parameters going 180 degrees the opposite way..

A reflash tune that sees little to no timing drops in hotter ambient temp vs cooler ambient temp will not have a remedy w meth/race fuel etc..if anything I would expect that a reflash-tune (being that it is pump gas tune) would simply not be able to take advantage of meth/race-fuel..and as result make the same or more conservative logs.

But here we have timing drops in cooler weather vs hot weather...as opposed to just less power or less boost being made..something doesnt add up..
It's as if the tune (at least based on this log) is not pulling fuel to compensate for the meth being injected, which is causing the car to run a point richer than intended, which in most cases, is causing the car to run slower.

I was considering running meth in the colder temps to keep the engine happy, but if all it's doing is making the car run richer in this weather, then well, it's not doing squat. Could also require that I do some more runs for adaptation purposes. Who knows.
      09-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #30
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335i View Post
if you were referring to my post, I meant more of a comparison to see if it effected my performance in a negative way like themyst is saying might be happening with cobb stage 2 + meth
Sorry it was meant for the OP....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post

Well I think the consensus is it is making the car run entirely too rich spraying TOO much methanol. But at any rate its quite obvious too me why there is no advantage. These are pump gas maps, we all know methanol is a fuel and the only way higher octane will help is if ignition and or boost is increased, which its not.

If we could log the fuel trims and see that the DME cant take out enough fuel that will likely answer more questions.

As I mentioned previously spraying an M5 or even M3 nozzle might show benefits atleast for heat soak purposes but that is about it.

I say this all the time methanol on its own really adds no power, only when increasing ignition and boost.

In regards to cooler temps, its probably changing the load tables and those arent refined enough cause Cobb doesnt have access to those colder climates? or.... something in regards to IAT compensation needs to be changed. This car is too complex to start guessing. Just need more data in logs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
basically in a nutshell, running meth on this map is pointless unless someone can show otherwise.
Spray less
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #31
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Sorry it was meant for the OP....

Well I think the consensus is it is making the car run entirely too rich spraying TOO much methanol. But at any rate its quite obvious too me why there is no advantage. These are pump gas maps, we all know methanol is a fuel and the only way higher octane will help is if ignition and or boost is increased, which its not.

If we could log the fuel trims and see that the DME cant take out enough fuel that will likely answer more questions.

As I mentioned previously spraying an M5 or even M3 nozzle might show benefits atleast for heat soak purposes but that is about it.

I say this all the time methanol on its own really adds no power, only when increasing ignition and boost.

In regards to cooler temps, its probably changing the load tables and those arent refined enough cause Cobb doesnt have access to those colder climates? or.... something in regards to IAT compensation needs to be changed. This car is too complex to start guessing. Just need more data in logs.

Spray less
I have a DO1 nozzle sitting here waiting for testing.
      09-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #32
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Can you do me a huge favor before I go spend time installing my DO meth kit.

Can you run some 91 octane fuel and the meth kit on the aggressive stage 2+ map and log it. Just curious what you would find in that case. I am suspecting about the same as your initial logs.

Send me your logs and I will put it through the virtual dyno.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #33
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Can you do me a huge favor before I go spend time installing my DO meth kit.

Can you run some 91 octane fuel and the meth kit on the aggressive stage 2+ map and log it. Just curious what you would find in that case. I am suspecting about the same as your initial logs.

Send me your logs and I will put it through the virtual dyno.
I don't have 91 octane around here, sorry.
      09-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #34
remington109
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

So, meth is pointless until ATR?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #35
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington109 View Post
So, meth is pointless until ATR?
It's pretty pointless unless you have a map that requires the use of meth. My timing looks beautiful these days and the car pulls incredibly hard. Perhaps Rob will find some more power and let us know how his meth testing went. Curious to know what kit he chose.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #36
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

A little update on meth testing with stage 2.

Looks like extensively running meth injection on stage 2 then disabling it does some wacky things to short-term fuel trims and AFR.

It seems after testing a 3-4 shift on stage 2 with meth turned off(edit), AFRs are off ever-so-slightly on the two banks and running in 11.1 - 11.6's (expected range is 11.8 - 12.4), and STFTs are maxed out on bank 2 at 34.22%.

After testing on meth (until my time on the dyno proves otherwise) I say if you're going to run meth on stage 2, do it all the time, otherwise simply don't bother. I'm going to log multiple WOT pulls with meth turned off to see if the trims and AFRs go back to expected levels.

Here is a log of stage 2 with meth turned off a day before with no WOT activity in between. Gotta love Cobb AP logging! You know what's going on and can make sense of it all.

PS. @Ilma I didn't flatline timing post-shift as you can see

09-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #37
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Interesting results man...i always wondered what happened with trims between switching on and off meth but keep in mind those are short term adjustments...the key thing is of course AFR...how quickly do they stabilize after shutting off meth?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #38
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Interesting results man...i always wondered what happened with trims between switching on and off meth but keep in mind those are short term adjustments...the key thing is of course AFR...how quickly do they stabilize after shutting off meth?
Thing is, they didn't. Even with the meth turned off, AFRs were in the same range as they were on meth. I'll give it 4-5 more good romps off meth to see if the AFRs stabilize back to the expected range.
      10-01-2011, 03:24 AM   #39
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

So it adjusts to the meth and then takes some time to adjust back to non-meth?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #40
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Update: My AFRs never actually recovered from these runs. I was pegging low to mid 11 AFRs over and over with no meth. I just unmarried and reinstalled the AP and stage 2+ maps and AFRs are now 11.8-12.0, within spec.

Definitely not recommending running meth on Stage 2 for sure, at least based on my experience.
      10-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #41
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Update: My AFRs never actually recovered from these runs. I was pegging low to mid 11 AFRs over and over with no meth. I just unmarried and reinstalled the AP and stage 2+ maps and AFRs are now 11.8-12.0, within spec.

Definitely not recommending running meth on Stage 2 for sure, at least based on my experience.
really no point in meth here unless you run a small nozzle like an M3 or M5 and just 50/50 meth for IAT reduction...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #42
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:

Did you try the ECU reset function in the AP first? I actually have no idea what it resets, just curious if that would have done the trick.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #43
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
A little update on meth testing with stage 2.

PS. @Ilma I didn't flatline timing post-shift as you can see

Yet you did while running meth..........
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #44
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Did you try the ECU reset function in the AP first? I actually have no idea what it resets, just curious if that would have done the trick.
I've tried the ecu reset, reloading the map itself, multiple wot pulls, nothing worked. I suspect if I could have reset lambda adaptations it may have helped but I don't have that luxury anymore. Whatever uninstalling/reinstalling did helped or so I hope.