E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What recommendations for Stage II upgrades? (FMIC,DP,CBE)

10-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Golf R

What recommendations for Stage II upgrades? (FMIC,DP,CBE)

Hi,

My factory warranty just expired and I'm considering going to Accessport Stage II. Right now my car is a stock 08 335xi Coupe 6MT running the Aggressive Stage 1 93 AP tune.

I want to keep my car as stealth looking & sounding as possible (I even blacked out the chrome trim), so quieter exhaust is better and I don't want external BOVs, DCI or anything like that.

Performance is paramount of course, but I'm willing to trade a little bit for subtlety. I guess I need a FMIC, DP, drop-in filter, and CBE... any recommendations based on my needs?

Is an aftermarket oil cooler recommended as well? Anything else?

Also, are there any versions of Stage II that are emissions test friendly or is that a lost cause?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Drop in filter will yield you basically nothing and in fact with higher boost it will choke the engine of air.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

I'd recommend:

FMIC:
Helix
AMS
ETS
HPF

DP:
Macht Schnell
AR Design

Exhaust:
Autobahn Exotics (not very loud)

Intake:
Stett CAI
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
ModBargains III
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 135i, E46 M3, 540i

I would say downpipes and FMIC are my main recommendations to get you started. Everything else isn't necessary, but is still technically an added bonus if you ask me
      10-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyniclaus View Post
Hi,

My factory warranty just expired and I'm considering going to Accessport Stage II. Right now my car is a stock 08 335xi Coupe 6MT running the Aggressive Stage 1 93 AP tune.

I want to keep my car as stealth looking & sounding as possible (I even blacked out the chrome trim), so quieter exhaust is better and I don't want external BOVs, DCI or anything like that.

Performance is paramount of course, but I'm willing to trade a little bit for subtlety. I guess I need a FMIC, DP, drop-in filter, and CBE... any recommendations based on my needs?

Is an aftermarket oil cooler recommended as well? Anything else?

Also, are there any versions of Stage II that are emissions test friendly or is that a lost cause?

Thanks
Cobb has not recommended any specific manufacturers for the bolt-ons. This is just my opinion but im going with: ETS 5", ECS drop-in(i prefer dry filters), PLM DPs and im cutting out the secondary cats and going with a pair of resonators with a magnaflow axel back. Im also going with a sleeper look/sound and hoping this will do the job
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Intake then DPs then FMIC

As for the Intake: Mr.5 DIY intake FTW!...best of both worlds, a CAI as well as low noise..i had a UR CAI, then ran the DCIs for 2 years and now I've got a Mr.5 DIY intake and I really appreciate it the most of them all...plenty of threads on how to make one yourself and you can enjoy making it if you're into that kind of thing
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: FAST

We can offer you a great oil cooler kit and a FMIC (without the logo if you wanna look stealthy).

Then if you wanna go a bit more aggressive we can do downpipes, CAI, charge pipe (with DV's to be quieter than a BOV), etc. etc....

Shoot us a PM to discuss more in depth if you like.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Cobb compared the dci to stock intake here.

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/2011/06/...ir-box-vs-dci/

DPs and FMIC are a great combo for both performance and reduced stress on the turbos. There are countless thread discussing the "best" fmics and dps you can spend hours readying. You're likely not going to find any agreeing here.

I am running helix fmic, AR Dps and a drop-in filter with stock secondaries and exhaust and the engine temps have never been an issue even in 100+ degrees temp for spirited dailly driving. If you track the car, then a cooling solution will likely be necessary.

Anyone test the emissions yet with stage 2 installed?
Appreciate 0