E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > PE + suspension

09-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #23
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
a tak tak sound? sounds like lifter ticking?

Check your oil level and top up. If your engine has a lot of miles try Lucas oil stabiliser - worked really well on my high mileage non-turbo M54.

Otherwise try oil that is one step thicker, and see if that makes any difference.

The pulleys won't be causing a tak tak sound. The pulley will cause a whining sound if the bearing is worn. I assume the "tak tak" sound is an internal sound.
Hi, mine only driven 61000km. And it's 2008 model which should still having the older version of the lifter (common issue due to poor design of the hydraulic lifter, however, this ticking sound is different from what i can hear when i accelerate...)

for thicker oil, do you mean 5W-40 while we normally use 5W-30?
I have been checking the oil that the mechanics use, they use Liquid Moly, or Shell Helix.....are these good substitutes for Castrol 5W-30?

I will still bring my car to another mechanic someday later, meanwhile, still would love to learn more.
Thanks for answering so much for me.
Appreciate 0