E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Commercial Car Wash paint swirls or holograms

02-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Commercial Car Wash paint swirls or holograms

After a trip to the local popular hand wash car wash, I noticed in direct sunlight what looked to be a film of hologram like streaks on my drivers side door and fender. Upon further examination they are directional swirl like scratches most likely caused by a dirty wash mitt. They also cant be seen in shadows or overcast weather.These are my first legit marks of this kind. They cannot be felt under your fingers and don't come off with a subtle finger touch.

I use Zaino when I wash the car myself, however I am under the assumption that Zaino products are more fillers and sealers. I have no experience with rotors or machine detailing tools. What's a good hand applied product to remove or polish out these markings? I have been looking at multiple products from mezerna to chemical guys and I'm not sure what to go with. I don't want to create new issues with the wrong product. Tempted to find a local pro and have them work on it. Any suggestions?

2009 E90 335i 6AT / Procede / Vishnu DCI / Space Gray / Oyster Dakota Leather / Light Burl Walnut /
/ Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Pkg / Paddle Shifters / iDrive / Logic 7 / Park Distance / Comfort Access / iPhone Port/
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Zechariaha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Wont solve much by hand get porter cable and a few pads and go to town. Or if you dont want to mess with it get a detailer to polish and seal car just make sure its not some cowboy with and rotary tool that will just make everything worse Scratch and Swirl B gone by CG is decent but there v36 (i think) cutting polish does real well for me
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

Paint correction by hand will more than likely be a painstakingly long process.

In my opinion, if you want them gone quick, then I would recommend getting it done by a professional detailer. You can always go through the process of learning how to get rid of them and purchasing the products to do so, but this requires some time and patience. It's a rewarding feeling, especially since you learn a new skill and can use it in the future; but you have to decide if spending the time now to do so is something you have time to do and want to do.

Otherwise, my recommendation is to have a professional detailer do the paint correction and then ask him or her about proper wash technique to minimize the amount of swirls induced during washing.

If you decide to solicit help from a pro, make sure to find a reputable pro in your area. Paint correction can get pricey, so expect to pay a little more for a quality job from someone you can trust.
      02-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Thanks guys for your responses. I am thinking I will try to track down a pro. I don't know of any so that may be a challenge. As far as washing I have done a lot of research on autopia and have a lot of gear for the process....takes me about two days to do the whole process since I am anal, ocd, and a perfectionist. Never had any issues. But since it takes me so long I have been going to this local well established hand wash place for quick cleans. After this experience I am done with that.

2009 E90 335i 6AT / Procede / Vishnu DCI / Space Gray / Oyster Dakota Leather / Light Burl Walnut /
/ Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Pkg / Paddle Shifters / iDrive / Logic 7 / Park Distance / Comfort Access / iPhone Port/
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJPB View Post
Thanks guys for your responses. I am thinking I will try to track down a pro. I don't know of any so that may be a challenge. As far as washing I have done a lot of research on autopia and have a lot of gear for the process....takes me about two days to do the whole process since I am anal, ocd, and a perfectionist. Never had any issues. But since it takes me so long I have been going to this local well established hand wash place for quick cleans. After this experience I am done with that.
Since you are on autopia, I would check out the regional forums and see who is recommended in your area.

What is involved in your wash process that it takes you two days?

In my opinion, a wash involves washing the car, drying it, and maybe applying a layer of wax if it needs it; oh, and cleaning glass and applying tire dressing. If you're including clay bar and a one-step polish, I would consider that an exterior detail. Beyond that, i.e. a two step or three step polish, etc., I would consider that process paint correction.

A maintenance wash should take about an hour or two. If you're tossing in a layer of wax, maybe add another 30 minutes to an hour. If you're doing an exterior detail, I could understand why you're spending more time.

Adding in a quick interior wipe for dust and a quick vacuum shouldn't add very much time. An interior detail would take a little longer, but if you keep up with it, you shouldn't have to do any serious cleaning when you are performing an interior detail.
      02-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Jeff with immaculate reflections is up in your area I THINK.

Or if you are in the Orange County area any time, I can try and arrange my schedule to fit you in (planning ahead of time of course)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdalpha
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJPB View Post
Since you are on autopia, I would check out the regional forums and see who is recommended in your area.

What is involved in your wash process that it takes you two days?

In my opinion, a wash involves washing the car, drying it, and maybe applying a layer of wax if it needs it; oh, and cleaning glass and applying tire dressing. If you're including clay bar and a one-step polish, I would consider that an exterior detail. Beyond that, i.e. a two step or three step polish, etc., I would consider that process paint correction.

A maintenance wash should take about an hour or two. If you're tossing in a layer of wax, maybe add another 30 minutes to an hour. If you're doing an exterior detail, I could understand why you're spending more time.

Adding in a quick interior wipe for dust and a quick vacuum shouldn't add very much time. An interior detail would take a little longer, but if you keep up with it, you shouldn't have to do any serious cleaning when you are performing an interior detail.
Yeah I suppose it's more of an exterior interior detail in that case I do a long wash and hand cleaning of the rims, wash the car in zones from top to bottom using a CR Spotless washer and jugs of distilled water, then start applying three layers of various Zaino polishes and Zaino detailed spray downs between each. Then I detail spray the rims and apply a sealer, and some tire wash products and protectants. For the interior I use a Zaino leather cleaner followed by a Zaino leather conditioner. Dust, and vacuum the rugs.
The bulk of the time that drags it into the second day is the polish applications. Then between these sessions I have been taking it to Jacks car wash for maintenance hand washes. After this situation that will stop for sure.
Thanks for the tip, I didn't think to check autopia for a local pro.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
Jeff with immaculate reflections is up in your area I THINK.

Or if you are in the Orange County area any time, I can try and arrange my schedule to fit you in (planning ahead of time of course)
Thanks I will have to check him out. He's in the Fresno area?

Appreciate 0