E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Edmonton rock chips

12-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Edmonton rock chips

So, my BMW is 2 weeks and 1 day old and I have this nasty crack on it already (4"...I drove the car on the weekend and watched it grow since it was pretty warm...then I started freaking out while driving because the thing wouldn't stop growing). I figured it might be a stress crack so I brought it into the dealership to see if warranty would cover it. However, because I had it repaired over the weekend, there's not much they can do.

...not that it matters because while driving there on the Whitemud, some van tried passing me in the left lane, realized they were in the wrong lane, then cranked hard to cut me off and make it for the exit. I got a nice present of a nice large rock chip on the windshield (that actually took part of the glass off).

Seems that on the forums, BMW glass appears to be pretty soft stuff. I was just wondering what other people are doing when they get these rock chips? I'm considering getting a new windshield since the parts and labor will cost me $800 and then getting Clearplex put on.

Also, does anyone have experience with Clearplex? A search on the forums had some people saying it scratches easily but I figured that can be solved with some 3M polish and a good power polish (just like detailing your 3M clear bra).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
EdmBimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 35d

I had the same problem with my 06 330i. I got two chips close to the edges, and they started to spread out. Luckly I got them fixed in time and it is still noticeable, but not growing.

For my new 535i I got AMI insurance. Cost $174 for the year, and covers anything on rock chips and such. As long as the windshield wasn't damaged due to an accident or break in the dedcutible is $50. I think $25 dollars for rock chips. Crystal Glass handles all repairs.

There is also a local guy in Edmonton that is mobile and will do rock chip repairs in your garage. I think he chargedme $60 bucks for two chips that were about the size of a nickle. Did a pretty good job, you really have to look at it to see the chip.

If I find his info I'll post it up.
      12-30-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
CPI
403_e39
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 ///M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
So, my BMW is 2 weeks and 1 day old and I have this nasty crack on it already (4"...I drove the car on the weekend and watched it grow since it was pretty warm...then I started freaking out while driving because the thing wouldn't stop growing). I figured it might be a stress crack so I brought it into the dealership to see if warranty would cover it. However, because I had it repaired over the weekend, there's not much they can do.

...not that it matters because while driving there on the Whitemud, some van tried passing me in the left lane, realized they were in the wrong lane, then cranked hard to cut me off and make it for the exit. I got a nice present of a nice large rock chip on the windshield (that actually took part of the glass off).

Seems that on the forums, BMW glass appears to be pretty soft stuff. I was just wondering what other people are doing when they get these rock chips? I'm considering getting a new windshield since the parts and labor will cost me $800 and then getting Clearplex put on.

Also, does anyone have experience with Clearplex? A search on the forums had some people saying it scratches easily but I figured that can be solved with some 3M polish and a good power polish (just like detailing your 3M clear bra).
Is clearplex a film? I should look into this as well since roads in Calgary are the same. Rocks just flying everywhere.

One of my friends has some coating on his new TSX and they warranty any sort of chip or crack and will replace the windshield if anything happens.

||KWVI Coilovers||Matte Black Grille||28% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||H&S Exhaust||Exotics Tuning Lip||Slimmbones Rear Diffuser II||AngelIBright V3 Angel Eyes|| Fog light covers||UUC RK6 Shift Knob||
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
MMMM_Fun
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i AW, 92 Miata

Same thing happened to me as well. In the first week of ownership, on the 401, a big bang! Before you know it, a crack was starting to develop.

Are you guys replacing it with OEM BMW windshield?

ps. More info on the AMI insurance!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
perfectg
I pwn u
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi Q5

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
clearshield is a clear film that is applied over the windshield.(also can get kits to do bumpers etc..) good for a couple years. Saw the stuff at last years SEMA show.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Damn this BMW glass is soft as putty.

Yeah, ClearPlex is a film that goes right on top. It's like a 3M clear bra for windshields.

Anyway, I'm replacing it with OEM windshield. It's about $25 to $30 per chip and if I get one or two every week, it'll equal the price of a new windshield eventually.

My friend who works at an autobody shop suggested I go with OEM too because going with cheaper stuff will only save you a few hundred at the most and you open yourself up to problems like leakage, wind, sensor problems, etc. I called the parts department at the local dealership and ordered the windshield and I figured out which windshield place the dealership brings their vehicles to for glass. Going to that place directly and the dealership is shipping the glass right to them. Planning my routes back home using the smaller and slower streets and I'll be garaging it until my appointment for the ClearPlex. Btw, thanks to minwoo for PM'ing me with more info about this!

And yeah, Calgary's just as bad. I commute to Calgary regularly and I don't know if my windshield will be able to handle Deerfoot without Clearplex. Just wondering, for all Albertans out there, are you guys having the same problem with the glass? Are you finding it really easy to get rock chips too?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
CPI
403_e39
Canada
Rep

Garage List
The first time I took it out on Deerfoot last year I got a chip, but then I got it filled right away before temperatures got worse.

Ill have to look into the clearplex. Do you know anyone in Calgary that does this?
Has anyone had problems with the foglights cracking or breaking. It would probably be a good idea to cover those as well.

||KWVI Coilovers||Matte Black Grille||28% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||H&S Exhaust||Exotics Tuning Lip||Slimmbones Rear Diffuser II||AngelIBright V3 Angel Eyes|| Fog light covers||UUC RK6 Shift Knob||
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Apparently there is someone in Calgary who does Clearplex - if not more than one guy. You might have to call around. Post it up if you find out cause I'm sure other Calgarians would be really interested as well. When I was living in Calgary, I got lots of rock chips on my old car from Deerfoot alone.

As for my fogs, I already got them covered when I did my 3M for the headlights. If you don't get 3M anywhere on the car, at least get the headlights. Driving around Alberta will scratch up your headlights pretty badly.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
CPI
403_e39
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Apparently there is someone in Calgary who does Clearplex - if not more than one guy. You might have to call around. Post it up if you find out cause I'm sure other Calgarians would be really interested as well. When I was living in Calgary, I got lots of rock chips on my old car from Deerfoot alone.

As for my fogs, I already got them covered when I did my 3M for the headlights. If you don't get 3M anywhere on the car, at least get the headlights. Driving around Alberta will scratch up your headlights pretty badly.
I still haven't found the place that does it. Ill keep looking, but just wait till the weather warms up. Thats when all the gravel, salt starts flying everywhere. I hate that

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Yeah, I checked, apparently there's no place in Calgary that does it. But if you're in the market for a windshield replacement and you don't mind a drive to Edmonton, you could always get your windshield replaced in Edmonton and then get the ClearPlex on the same day. You probably could just do a day trip and have it all done.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
where in Edmonton do they do ClearPlex?
it would be some good info to keep written down...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't want to post until I had it done. The material was backordered lately so it took a while (had to garage the car until today )

Anyway the place I went to was Clear Choice Auto. If you search "Edmonton ClearPlex" in Google you'll find it. It's a small two-man operation but the guys there are very nice.

I've attached a photo of what it looks like once it's done. It was pretty hard to take a photo of since it was clear but I tried to take a photo along the edges so you can see.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #13
sim@ecuprogram
Rep
Drives: E90 E70 F01

how much does that ClearPlex run u Andy?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Regular price is about $250 for the windshield I believe. You should give them a call to find out.

I know, this is more than glass insurance per year but I hope that this ClearPlex will let me glass last me more two or three years and then it would have paid for it. Plus, I don't have to spend $30 each time to get a small chip repaired (or ignore it and drive around with a giant crack until I get my insurance to cover the replacement). I figure it's worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
LeeD31
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3\EB 328xi Tour\G01X3

Yay, now you can finally meet up =)

Karmaloop Rep Code: 'DUBST3P' for 20% off your order @ www.karmaloop.com
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #16
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Haha yes. I'll PM you. Planning on taking the car through one of those touchless car washes this weekend and hopefully it'll wash some of that dirt and salt away.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
ahhh do do touchless washes or any auto wash.... the water is so high pressure you can damage body parts.

thanks for the info!
keep us updated on how good this stuff really works. there should be lots of rocks flying for atleast another 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #18
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Actually I use automatic touchless (not the ones with brushes) for the winter since it sprays this really even jet of water across the car. With a good wax my clear coat should be pretty safe. They're pretty worthless in getting your car clean anyway but I want to at least wash off some of the crap covering the car. High pressure wash probably will do more damage to my car since it'll just push the debris into the clear coat. Can't use the hose in the winter. Everything freezes in Edmonton except our taxes.

Anyway I'll update everyone in a few months or at least when I do my spring detail. I'm expecting some scratches on the clear coat but I'll detail the windshield using plastic polish. I figure with some effort, I should be able to get it almost to brand new condition.
Appreciate 0