Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 17" to 18" or 19" with RFT. Comparison

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
ddc9999
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

17" to 18" or 19" with RFT. Comparison

Hi Everyone,

I've done some searching on this topic and would like some more input. For the record, I had a 2006 330xi and it had 18" rims and RFTs and I found the ride to be very harsh. This may have had to do with it being an older car with older shocks. I'm making this comparison of "very harsh" with respect to my current 2010 335i Xdrive which has 17" rims and RFTs. I miss the look of the 18s on this car and would like to upgrade to something bigger. Do you think I'm in for the same rough ride as I had with the 330xi if I upgrade back to 18s? How much worse would it be if I go nuts with 19s? Like I said, this is relative to the harsh ride I experienced with the 330 that I'd prefer not to deal with again. That was the max I could manage with respect to ride harshness.

Other Notes:
I drive in Hoboken/NY area. Half of my time is spent on crappy roads, but 90% of the mileage of that ride is well paved highways in northern Jersey.

I know non RFTs are a smoother ride. I like the RFTs and will rather have them and 17"s then go bigger and ditch them. Get a flat tire in a shitty area around Newark, NJ and you'll apreciate being able to drive through without stopping.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
CarEnthused
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT4

i cant speak to your experience with the other car but my e92 335i with the sport package was pretty comfortable before i lowered it and even after lowering it (H&R sports) it's still very comfortable.

I would say that you'll be fine with 18 RFTs. I mean many of our cars came with them in the first place. Also not all RFTs are equal. Some have a much better ride than others.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
ddc9999
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

As for your comment that not all RFTs are equal, I have the all seasons that BMW puts with x-drive cars stock. Would these be subpar? If I'm upping my wheel size, I'd also potentially be in the market for new tires. Is there a better all season RFT you would reccomend?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc9999 View Post
As for your comment that not all RFTs are equal, I have the all seasons that BMW puts with x-drive cars stock. Would these be subpar? If I'm upping my wheel size, I'd also potentially be in the market for new tires. Is there a better all season RFT you would reccomend?
Which all season run flat tires do you have? (brand and model).

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
ddc9999
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

There are continental tires. ContiProContact SSR to be exact. Also, I don't think it matters, but they aren't staggered either.
Appreciate 0