E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Announces Voluntary N54 Engine (HPFP) and X5 Recall

01-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #419
sunnydshine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Auto Sedan

My car is currently getting the recall service work done. Its a 08 335i sedan. When I called inquiring about the recall works, the dealership told me that two needs needed to be worked on. They had to keep the car overnight, however they told me that they need to check for a software update, and change the fuel injectors. Lets see what happens tomorrow. I'm new to this but I have a ESS tune, will the software update erase my tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #420
jrr
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydshine View Post
My car is currently getting the recall service work done. Its a 08 335i sedan. When I called inquiring about the recall works, the dealership told me that two needs needed to be worked on. They had to keep the car overnight, however they told me that they need to check for a software update, and change the fuel injectors. Lets see what happens tomorrow. I'm new to this but I have a ESS tune, will the software update erase my tune?
I just found out about this and only bought my 08 335I sedan in Aug 10. I have a Dinan load done when they loved each other and by the selling dealer. Haven't had any issues other than its stupid fast for not having a LSD. If they change the software back will Dinan let them re load ? Lots of issues going to be an interesting start of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #421
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnewb View Post
hi guys,

i missed this whole talk about the HPFP before i purchased my 2007 335i in August 2010. Silly me for not doing research. Just yesterday i received the recall notice from BMW and have made my service appointment.

It sounds to me like BMW will "check" for possible issues and if there are no problems to begin with, they will not replace anything. Sounds fair. But what happens if i get the failure at a later time? I don't want to be burned with a big repair invoice. I saw some articles that BMW has extended warranty on HPFP up to 10years or 120,000miles but the recall notice does not state any of that.

Autoblog link to BMW class-action lawsuit

What should I do in my current situation? It seems the problem is prevalent so I would like to avoid any issues down the road by getting the dealership to replace the HPFP anyway, even if there is no issue with it. Is that even possible? Sorry for asking such a silly question.

So far, i have not witnessed a noticeable lag or extended crank times. But, as with any BMW owner, I am concerned and I would like to avoid any major bill if at all possible.

Thanks
I thought the exact same thing you stated above. I got the recall letter and the way I was reading and understanding was they would check for an issue and replace if needed. I caled my SA to ask about the recall he ran my vin again and stated " your vin is affected lets get an appontment set up we will need 3 hrs to change out the pump". So I asked are you going to change the pump or just do some type of load test to check for a potential problem. He said we are going to change it out. I'm just a little worried I have an 07 335i build date 10/06 with 37000 miles. I've never had a fuel pump issue I have a V4, FMIC, DB and intake. I'm just thinking if it aint broke dont fix it My SA said its gonna fail lets get it changed.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #422
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Haven't been back to this thread in a while....but my car has been to the dealership 3X since the official recall went out, and never was there a mention that I was affected (10/06 production). Haven't had any issues lately either knock on wood...the way I see it is if your car is ok, and has been for a while, you don't want the dealership monkeying around with anything because they know less about the way your car drives than you do....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #423
serge086
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Garage List
Just took mine in and got a new HPFP w/60K on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #424
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

My 2007 has had no problems and I never received a letter so it's not going in. Someone on this sight basically said I was an idiot for not taking it in. Why would I take it in if every other person posting on here says they are on their second, third or fourth pump and BMW hasn't figured the problem out. When they finally fix the problem then maybe I'll take it in or if it fails but makes no sense to let them F it up when they have proven the can't fix it. I've only seen one person on here say they actually received a letter and I'm not sure they just saw a copy posted or actually received one.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #425
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=John 070;8651667]Haven't been back to this thread in a while....but my car has been to the dealership 3X since the official recall went out, and never was there a mention that I was affected (10/06 production). Haven't had any issues lately either knock on wood...the way I see it is if your car is ok, and has been for a while, you don't want the dealership monkeying around with anything because they know less about the way your car drives than you do....[/QUO

I haven't had a problem and it seems BMW dealerships vary on their knowledge of the HPFP issue. After reading some of these post here I'm gonna wait till I have a problem. It also has me worried that the SA couldn't give me the part No. for the pump(I wanted to compare the number with the ones posted on this site) He just called it the latest greatest one. My letter states its more of a EPA and CARB issue reading that I could fail a smog test if I dont get the pump replaced they only mention pump mech failure 1 time in the letter? It also reads they will inspect and change if needed or perform a reprogram? I'm gonna call My SA again because he also stated this campaign was only going for a year I contacted BMW NA and they told me the fuel pump warranty got extended to 100,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #426
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
My 2007 has had no problems and I never received a letter so it's not going in. Someone on this sight basically said I was an idiot for not taking it in. Why would I take it in if every other person posting on here says they are on their second, third or fourth pump and BMW hasn't figured the problem out. When they finally fix the problem then maybe I'll take it in or if it fails but makes no sense to let them F it up when they have proven the can't fix it. I've only seen one person on here say they actually received a letter and I'm not sure they just saw a copy posted or actually received one.
Im with you 100% I do have a letter in my hand and shocked I got it. I'm not taking it in and like you said some guys on this site are on their 3rd pump!!! I have mods and drive my car with my foot in it often and have had no issues. I'll wait till it breaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #427
seoulmandmd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweredram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Im with you 100% I do have a letter in my hand and shocked I got it. I'm not taking it in and like you said some guys on this site are on their 3rd pump!!! I have mods and drive my car with my foot in it often and have had no issues. I'll wait till it breaks.
Thanks for this. I just got my letter. No pump prob yet on my 08 335. Letter has some mumbo about failing emissions if not done in Cali. Just had my car smogged - super clean. Thinking of waiting till it breaks. Maybe they'll have a more reliable pump. Most of my friends have had no fails yet. All pretty new cars though.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #428
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydshine View Post
Let us know who it went - I am schedueled next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #429
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge086 View Post
Just took mine in and got a new HPFP w/60K on the car.
How did it go Serge? Any changes in the way the car drives/responsiveness? I see you are in NJ - which dealer did you go to?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #430
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

I'm scheduled to bring mine in on Jan. 25th..currently on my 3rd pump but has been driving well..last HPFP replacement was Jan. 2010.
      01-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #431
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Took my 08 335i for some wind noise on driver side and turned out there was a recall on my car as well. The SA said that they will load some codes and then let me know if I need a replacement. Kind of worried cause I am of the mentality if "it aint broke dont fix it"..lets see what happens.
      01-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #432
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

JRR,
I have Dinan also and if you get the software reprogram at the dealership for the recall Dinan will reflash you back after. Just contact the place where you got it done originally or drop them an email through thier website. I am guessing they are pretty busy with the recall since there will be more people in the same situation.
      01-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #433
sunnydshine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Auto Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
Let us know who it went - I am schedueled next week.
So my car went in for service last Thursday, and they had to keep my car overnight. I got the car back Friday and the paper work stated that, there was some programming, my HPFP was changed with a 933, and the car feels slower now. I guess when they programmed they removed my tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:46 AM   #434
OSK77
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
According to my local BMW dealer who I spoke with last week on this issue in detail: the HPFP's failures in N.America are related to the rubber seals inside the HPFP that fail because of the poor quality of gas sold in the US and Canada. BMW is not facing this issue in Germany (same part in their car) because their fuel is higher quality and the seals stay intact.

Dealer suggested using a BMW approved fuel additive (schedule to be confirmed, but I have been reading every 10K miles) to keep carbon build up out and the fuel injectors clean - which in theory should keep the HPFP in better shape in the long run.

Again, this came from the lead mechanic at my dealer so have not tested this out. Looks promising from a 'maintenance' perspective. My car just had the DME software update done to it (no 933 replacement required). So far so good.

07' E90 335i | COBB STAGE 2+ TUNED | COBB DOWNPIPES | COBB FMIC | COBB CHARGE PIPE | BMS DCI | ACCESSPORT V3 | RB PCV VALVE UPGRADE | MONACO BLUE | DAKOTA BLACK | ZSP | ZPP | NAV | MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORTS ON BEYERN MESH
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #435
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSK77 View Post
Dealer suggested using a BMW approved fuel additive (schedule to be confirmed, but I have been reading every 10K miles) to keep carbon build up out and the fuel injectors clean - which in theory should keep the HPFP in better shape in the long run.
Quite interesting... every 10k wow... does the emissions change when the carbon build up occurs on the injectors ? What a awesome way to make money... $19.99 for a rebranded plastic of STP gas treatment additive ! $19.99 x A (a=bmw N54 & N55) every 10k. cha ching !

with all honestly we do need something to clean the carbon build up however this is prob just for the injectors and not the rest of the engine.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #436
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slowly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The information that your Dealer told you is a lie.
This the most depressing part of the entire HPFP fiasco. I can handle the mechanical issues (I'm also a long-time Jaguar enthusiast; with at least one Jaguar continuously since 1971, I'm "experienced" ) - it's the unending BMW obfuscation that turns me off. When its warranty runs out, my second BMW will be my last (even though the E92 335i has been a splendid experience, it's not THAT splendid). Life is too short. Let's see, where did I put that Porsche CPO brochure.....

NOW: Der 2016 GlitzundBlitzWagen mit ZMP und ZTR und...PCD'd 28Oct15
GONE: 2009 335i Coupe with MPPK ... 2006 M3 Coupe with SMG
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #437
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMike View Post
This the most depressing part of the entire HPFP fiasco. I can handle the mechanical issues (I'm also a long-time Jaguar enthusiast; with at least one Jaguar continuously since 1971, I'm "experienced" ) - it's the unending BMW obfuscation that turns me off. When its warranty runs out, my second BMW will be my last (even though the E92 335i has been a splendid experience, it's not THAT splendid). Life is too short. Let's see, where did I put that Porsche CPO brochure.....
Word... but im eyeing the 2013-2014 NSX. Price should be resonable if its on an accord platform...

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #438
pimple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i N54

I have to chime in with my experience regarding this much-hyped recall. First, the dealer is going only by what BMW tells them (reprogramming, new pump, and/or new injectors) regardless of any supporting information in service bulletins, and any recall instructions they're following is vehicle (VIN) specific. Second, BMW is being very selective about sending out recall letters, as I have not yet received any.

My car has the -881 pump replacement and the original 13 53 7 565 138-03 injectors and despite what is stated in the service bulletins, my car is only being flagged for the reprogramming.

Dealer says we'll do only what BMW says and to contact BMW Customer Relations to answer supposed discrepancies. BMW Customer Relations is saying contact the dealer for specifics. In all cases, I'm being told to ignore the service bulletins because their function is to instruct the technician during a repair and nothing else.

So, there you have it. My contribution to add clarification--or further muck it up and add to the hysteria.

Last edited by pimple; 01-13-2011 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #439
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update: Car just returned from service...

2007 E90 Build date April 2007 335i

5 Injectors replaced..... /shrug who knows
1 HPFP replaced 933 replaced with another 933

unable to confirm idle, responsiveness, performance or mpg.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #440
bullet0770
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Any failure reported with the latest HPFP or its too soon to tell.
Appreciate 0