E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > GVA snow...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
Yvette
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
268
Rep
6,993
Posts

Drives: M3,Macan
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323ibimmer View Post
It went away after 30 mins of driving. LOL i'm on 19's low profile summers. Driving is ok but avoided.
i hope you are joking
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #24
ELITE_TRAYUNZE
Captain
ELITE_TRAYUNZE's Avatar
Canada
-110
Rep
643
Posts

Drives: AW 07 E90 328i Sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

He's not joking...this guy is seriously an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #25
mapleridge
Banned
108
Rep
2,681
Posts

Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITE_TRAYUNZE View Post
He's not joking...this guy is seriously an idiot.
whoaa...cool those jets ace.

I was driving around the past few days. I saw an E46 M3 go into oncoming traffic on highway 10. People were driving slow enough that he just drove back into his lane. I slipped a little in the same spot. What was funny was I was trying to reverse today after all of the rain in the slush and it would barely move. loooll. Im on stock 16" runflats for the winter...but the weather is not bad at all.

xdrive guys get a little more traction but it doesn't help when your skidding and braking. Caution is the best application in crap conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #26
ELITE_TRAYUNZE
Captain
ELITE_TRAYUNZE's Avatar
Canada
-110
Rep
643
Posts

Drives: AW 07 E90 328i Sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
whoaa...cool those jets ace.

I was driving around the past few days. I saw an E46 M3 go into oncoming traffic on highway 10. People were driving slow enough that he just drove back into his lane. I slipped a little in the same spot. What was funny was I was trying to reverse today after all of the rain in the slush and it would barely move. loooll. Im on stock 16" runflats for the winter...but the weather is not bad at all.

xdrive guys get a little more traction but it doesn't help when your skidding and braking. Caution is the best application in crap conditions.
Your stock tires are not summers, they are all-seasons...323bimmer stated that he is using summer tires, although I wouldn't be surprised if he is actually using all-seasons but stated that they are summers simply because he is not the brightest crayon in the box...and the difference in performance of these tires is not necessarily just based on the conditions on the road. Just because there isn't much snow on the road doesn't mean that summer tires will be fine...The level of performance of your tires is highly dependant on the temperature...



As you can see, using summer tires at any time when the temperature is below 0°C is probably a horrible idea....I don't care so much about a person who decides to go ahead and use tires as such in these conditions, but please, don't put OTHER people's lives in jeopardy....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #27
mapleridge
Banned
108
Rep
2,681
Posts

Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITE_TRAYUNZE View Post
Your stock tires are not summers, they are all-seasons...323bimmer stated that he is using summer tires, although I wouldn't be surprised if he is actually using all-seasons but stated that they are summers simply because he is not the brightest crayon in the box...and the difference in performance of these tires is not necessarily just based on the conditions on the road. Just because there isn't much snow on the road doesn't mean that summer tires will be fine...The level of performance of your tires is highly dependant on the temperature...


As you can see, using summer tires at any time when the temperature is below 0°C is probably a horrible idea....I don't care so much about a person who decides to go ahead and use tires as such in these conditions, but please, don't put OTHER people's lives in jeopardy....

Nice graph. The temperature around noon was like 2.5 degrees or so. Perhaps the tires were colder cuz they were in the slush and snow? It was pretty bad not moving in such minimal slush.

I'm with you on being safe. Don't jeopardize your life, or your families life or anyone else's. If you are not equipped for this weather, just stay home as much as possible.

Over a year ago I tried to take my family on a short run from Surrey to Bellingham (Wasn't in the bimmer). There was almost no snow here but it came down hard right at the border. My tires were CRAP and my wipers couldn't keep up with the snow. Ice started forming on them at the end. I spun out the first time only to be saved by a wire rail. The second time there weren't cars close by so I got back on track. My 3 year old was sleeping the whole time but I was dying thinking that she might get hurt. There weren't even any hotels to stop between the border and Bellingham because I checked. NIGHTMARE. It felt like it took hours to complete a 20 minute ride. Worst feeling ever thinking you might harm someone you love.

Take my word and be very cautious.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
badass335's Avatar
Canada
59
Rep
1,881
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Surrey, BC

iTrader: (10)

its amazing how many idiots are on the road with Summer or even better, bald all seasons! I have my Michelin SS for summers and my Michelin X-ICE for winters. Considering im rear wheel drive and running modified 335i, i was passing SUV's with their fancy 4 wheel spinners on hills

Guy pulls up beside me and says, awesome all wheel drive.. I reply, Nah, i have common sense and winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #29
Me_Hi
Major
Me_Hi's Avatar
No_Country
-92
Rep
1,488
Posts

Drives: *
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: *

iTrader: (13)

I lived in Montreal for 12 years. That it has the craziest snowstorms out of Canada's big cities, especially in the outskirts. The average driving skills are in that city is the best. I than moved in and around GTA for about 6 years and is not as bad there, but when it's really snowing, the traffic in that city will raise your blood pressure for a bit. I than moved to Vancouver and - it's anger management time. In a city that it rains, there is a lot of people on the streets that shouldn't even be driving in dry and sunny conditions. By wanting to be so call 'SAFE', they slow down the entire city. When it's snowing, it's plain retarded. I once approached a 4 way stop intersection and there were 3 cars stopped all coming from a separate corner. They were at it for at least 5 seconds before I came from the 4'th corner. I waited for 3 seconds, you should have seen the look on this people's faces, and slowly i started aceelerating in a 1.5cm slush on the roads. I peeped in the back mirror and what I saw made me crack up - all of them decided that had priority right after me and decided to go. I don't know what happened after as I was too far ....ICBC claims centers are packed in Vancouver.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant
Canada
15
Rep
597
Posts

Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Montreal View Post
Lolllllll honestly i would choose rain over snow.
Plus you can drive your car all-year-round in Vancouver
ummmm....why can you not drive your car all year round? You do know that Germany has snow and mountains too and yet they drive them all year round. Ah yes, the miracle of this new invention.....snow tires. That must be it!
__________________
2010 335i xDrive Coupe, Titanium Silver, MSport 6MT
2006 325i Sparkling Graphite Sport Package 6MT Retired
1999 323i Titanium Silver, Sport Package, 5MT Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #31
matrix76
Major
matrix76's Avatar
Canada
42
Rep
1,300
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 328i xDrive Ex/Ps
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The West Coast, BC

iTrader: (1)

Traded in my almost new 323i for my 328xi for all the reasons mentioned above. xDrive in this climate guys, you never know when a dump of snow is going to hit, it is that simple
Attached Images
  
__________________
Brian
Black Sapphire, Black w/Burrwood Trim & Shifter, 162's, Mtec H8 AE's, DS1 HID 6000K

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #32
mapleridge
Banned
108
Rep
2,681
Posts

Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
Traded in my almost new 323i for my 328xi for all the reasons mentioned above. xDrive in this climate guys, you never know when a dump of snow is going to hit, it is that simple

where are you? i would guess abbey or further east from the snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #33
Jin.Patrick
First Lieutenant
Jin.Patrick's Avatar
Canada
24
Rep
393
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montréal, QC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Al View Post
ummmm....why can you not drive your car all year round? You do know that Germany has snow and mountains too and yet they drive them all year round. Ah yes, the miracle of this new invention.....snow tires. That must be it!
Ohhhh right... you drive a 335xi.... If I had a 335xi, or an all-wheel-drive car in general, I would drive it all-year-round.

I'm not quite sure how many people would drive their M3 on streets piled up with 20cm of snow, and random holes on the streets due to snow-plowing crew that mess up the road every single night..

please tell me you agree with me..?
Would you drive a brand-new M3 in -25 degrees celsius with 20cm of snow on the road?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #34
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
badass335's Avatar
Canada
59
Rep
1,881
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Surrey, BC

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Hi View Post
I lived in Montreal for 12 years. That it has the craziest snowstorms out of Canada's big cities, especially in the outskirts. The average driving skills are in that city is the best. I than moved in and around GTA for about 6 years and is not as bad there, but when it's really snowing, the traffic in that city will raise your blood pressure for a bit. I than moved to Vancouver and - it's anger management time. In a city that it rains, there is a lot of people on the streets that shouldn't even be driving in dry and sunny conditions. By wanting to be so call 'SAFE', they slow down the entire city. When it's snowing, it's plain retarded.
Now thats soo true!
Its a miracle driving on these streets especially when 'everyone' is an expert and drive invicible vehicles.

On the road yesterday evening and took my car out. I'm running proper snow tires on it. Driving along and this Rav4 driver comes up and literally is 2 ft off my bumper. I was doing 50km/h on a side street as it was. Anyhow, come up to a turn circle and i go around. It was a sheet of ice so as i start tuning, car starts drifting towards the curbs. I turn my wheel and throttle in and the car kicks it's rear end out and i drift around the circle. As for buddy boy behind me, he could stop so straight into the center curb and sign post.

I get out of the circle, stop and get out of the car. He gets out and i start laughing at him. "Thought your Rav4 was invincible". Get in my car and drive off. I'm one that always helps but this was 1 time, i wasn't going to.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #35
E92Vic
Private
E92Vic's Avatar
2
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi E92 Plat Bronze
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

im new here and bought my 328xi the 2nd day of the snowfall... as much as i hated getting the newly conditioned car dirty... i handled amazing... didnt notice snow at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #36
mapleridge
Banned
108
Rep
2,681
Posts

Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Vic View Post
im new here and bought my 328xi the 2nd day of the snowfall... as much as i hated getting the newly conditioned car dirty... i handled amazing... didnt notice snow at all.
Welcome. You will love your bimmer winter and summer. Enjoy it and the forum.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST