E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Musicar NW?

09-14-2014, 02:27 AM   #23
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
There are no single 4" drivers that play well under 200, nor should they.

Do you still have the issues with the tuning ? I thought I recalled you having that tamed ? I would investigate a bit further.

No sarcasm or accusations intended here, just friendly advice. I have yet to have a complaint about them similar to this and I sell a LOT of them. Are they perfect for everyone ? Of course not. But never have I heard the word harsh associated with these tweeters.
Heya, don't worry, I'm always open for discussion. It's what a forum is for, and your opinion/advice is welcome.

For the past few months I've been going to a new audio store. This one is extremely reputable, and the guys know what they're doing. I replaced the MS8 with a Mosconi 6to8 V8, and I leave the tuning to them.

My system is now miles ahead from what it was in all aspects.

Regarding the tweeters, they sound extremely harsh to my ears (emphasis on "my ears" ). I've compared them with the Gladen One for example and it's a night and day difference (same car, same setup, 2 minutes apart). I don't know why none of your customers ever used that word, but i do know that I'm not the only one complaining about it on forums. I'm guessing some of us are more sensitive to those frequencies and it boils down to a matter of taste, which is why I tried to emphasize that this was very personal. I simply cannot stand them at higher volumes.

Regarding the mids, I am aware that 4" have their limitations. But I'm sure it's possible to find 4" drivers that bring a bit more punch under that frequency? The Jehnert mids seem to totally disappear under 200hz.

As a side note I've been tempted to replace the 8" underseats with the jehnert door panels, but amplification constraints on the side I have an amazing sound stage right now and I'm afraid of bringing it down just to get more punch on the ~100-200hz range (which is what I'm looking for). Am I being silly?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:39 AM   #24
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
That said, I personally feel that the Jehnert seems a bit brighter than some silks in the past I've heard, but nowhere close to the crispy ringing livelyness I've gotten from the harder, more metallic ones I've heard in the past.
It just occurred to me that it might also partly be a listening level issue.

When my music is at conversation level, and up to a certain point, they do not sound harsh. But when I'm in the mood and I crank it up, that's when the harshness kicks in.

With the Gladen One I'm able to raise the level all the way up and my ears give up before they start sounding harsh, while providing at least the same amount of detail.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #25
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

I might chalk it up to a taste thing then. By rights, I've heard the Gladens are fantastic speakers in their own right. Very musical from all accounts. The Gladen 8" under seats might give you the punch you want from 300-100hz, just get a musical subwoofer and you'd be set there.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #26
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm actually very happy with the Jehnert 8" underseats and with my Gladen 10" sub.

I really just need a bump on the 100-200hz range that wouldn't imply lowering my sound stage. I'm positive that adding some mids that go further down than the Jehnerts would suit my needs.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #27
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

What I found with my setup; (I run 8 Jehnert 6.5" woofers in the bottom of the doors/under the seats from 300hz on down...)
I don't seem to feel or get the impression my sound stage is being lowered down any.

Are you running your 8" Jehnerts from approx 300hz on down?

One of my discoveries that "sub"ish frequencies are really hard to localize.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #28
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry about the delay, totally missed this post

My 8" Jehnerts are running from 200hz on down. At some point before I had tried raising them past that point, but felt that too much was coming from the underseats.

The guys at the audio store did an amazing job on my system, and the sound stage is really high, as if I didn't have any woofers under the seats at all. I admit I was a bit afraid to lose that, so I didn't really insist on bumping the underseats. Next time I go there (I'm in the process of replacing and moving my tweeters) I'll ask them to try to get more punch out of them.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #29
OzCoE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

A little update. I have been in contact with Don (6spdcoupe) and he had mentioned the Helix Match DSP as I am currently trying to buy Jehnert underseats (new) and a DSP. I have been looking at either the Helix DSP without the amp built in, or the Alpine PXA-H800 that Crutchfield sells. Now, the question is, with my front stage ran active, which one of these options will give me the least amount of headaches and be user friendly? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0