E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Delete DPF or Replace?

10-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
lor3n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d 2011

Exclamation Delete DPF or Replace?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. Recently I found out that I need a new DPF and the dealer price is $3600. I have been researching the delete options but haven't found any clear pricing or sources that are reliable. It seems like everything I have found is related to calling "a guy" that can do it or mailing the ECU somewhere. What I am looking for are the pros and cons of either way beyond the obvious con of paying $3600 to have it replaced. Also any up to date info about dealers or sources for delete kits and pricing would be awesome.

I have a 2011 335d with 100k miles and I am in Utah.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

You don't need a new dpf. You need two new temperature sensors for the regeneration process to work again.
      10-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
lor3n
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteblue View Post
You don't need a new dpf. You need two new temperature sensors for the regeneration process to work again.
Thanks for the info, That sounds a lot better to me. I am not familiar with the sensors, would you mind telling me which sensors you are talking about and what they are specifically called?

What would you suggest I tell the dealer and the technician working on my car? I know that my model isn't very common here and they haven't had to deal with this particular issue yet to my knowledge.

Last edited by lor3n; 10-10-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
BMW335D88
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

contact me if you need a dpf i am selling mine in good condition with 60k miles on it
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lor3n View Post
Thanks for the info, That sounds a lot better to me. So if the regeneration issue is resolved via temperature sensor replacement then the back pressure will be reduced and the operation should return to normal?

What would you suggest I tell the dealer and the technician working on my car? I know that my model isn't very common here and they haven't had to deal with this particular issue yet to my knowledge.
Some thoughts. The temp sensors are here 50-60 bucks or so and known to cause issues after time. They're not easy to remove. A bit hard to reach and pretty seized probably. Once removed with a high quality 14mm wrench your mechanic will need a thread cutter M12x1,25 to make sure the new sensors don't size on install and get stuck half way in. Buy the sensors prior attempting to remove the old ones. Cut the connectors to be able sliding a ring spanner or hex socket in place. An open-end spanner will not work without causing a mar to the sleeve nut.

Before installing the new sensor spraying a can of DPF Cleaner into the open hole (the one on the rear) is an excellent move to help the dpf break free.

The 1st dpf regen after the sensor change now has to be forced with a tester.

Driving the car with at least 2000rpm on a free way will give the best results. You will feel some gentle back and forth rocking of the car when the regen occurs. It rocks about 1x per second for a few minutes. Don't fall asleep

Last edited by kiel_dafo_kenyg_as; 10-10-2015 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
lor3n
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some thoughts. The temp sensors are here 50-60 bucks or so and known to cause issues after time. They're not easy to remove. A bit hard to reach and pretty seized probably. Once removed with a high quality 14mm wrench your mechanic will need a thread cutter M12x1,25 to make sure the new sensors don't size on install and get stuck half way in. Buy the sensors prior attempting to remove the old ones. Cut the connectors to be able sliding a ring spanner or hex socket in place. An open-end spanner will not work without causing a mar to the sleeve nut.

Before installing the new sensor spraying a can of DPF Cleaner into the open hole (the one on the rear) is an excellent move to help the dpf break free.

The 1st dpf regen after the sensor change now has to be forced with a tester.

Driving the car with at least 2000rpm on a free way will give the best results. You will feel some gentle back and forth rocking of the car when the regen occurs. It rocks about 1x per second for a few minutes. Don't fall asleep
Thanks again for the info. I will talk with my tech and see what we can do!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Few threads kicking around here.

BOHL Diesel (google him) for more details.

All depends on what you want to do in the end. If you want to keep replacing emissions stuff feel free to do so. Otherwise this is the perfect excuse to delete the crap.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Also, if your tech determines your DPF does indeed require replacement, many heavy duty diesel shops/dealers have the equipment to clean and burn out the restriction.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep

Here's a pic. Tell the mechanic to not mix the two sensor. They look identically but they aint. You cant mix the connectors but you can mix the hole they're plugged in

The part numbers should be 13627809154 for the front sensor and 13627809158 for the rear one.
Attached Images

10-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsd350
Also, if your tech determines your DPF does indeed require replacement, many heavy duty diesel shops/dealers have the equipment to clean and burn out the restriction.
What exactly is involved in doing this? I know there must be a wealth of knowledge on the truck side of the world just given the feedback from truck owners on this site.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Can't you also use the Carly app to request regens. Might be able to get it cleaned up on your own.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #12
lor3n
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBeKD View Post
Can't you also use the Carly app to request regens. Might be able to get it cleaned up on your own.
When I took my car in the dealer requested a regeneration and I drove over 100 miles and as far as I can tell from using the Carly app it didn't work. It said that the last region was over 57 gallons ago which would be about 1700 miles. The average mileage between regenerations on my car according to the app is 223. I also went into the DPF section of the app and tried to buy the regen function but it said it wasn't yet compatible with my car but would be in future updates.

I guess my next step is to try replacing the two temperature sensors and see if that will allow the regeneration process to work as whiteblue suggested. Has anyone else had success using the app to request regen with the e90 335d US spec?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #13
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

If I were in your shoes and it's on my dime to fix I'd do the deletes.

I'm still under CPO and since this is my daily commuter I haven't done anything yet with the exception of EGR plug after CBU cleaning.

Google BOHL diesel and fire him an email. Pretty much a one stop shop to get this whole thing done.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #14
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
What exactly is involved in doing this? I know there must be a wealth of knowledge on the truck side of the world just given the feedback from truck owners on this site.
One of my customers is a Peterbilt dealer and has one of these DPF reconditioning systems.I think he paid around 50k when they built their new facility. For lack of a better term it is an automated, very high temperature oven which also uses compressed air and vacuum to clean the cells in the DPF. Make some calls to your local heavy duty dealers/shops if you need the service, they are becoming more common. The new emissions equipment requirements have been a nightmare for the heavy duty industry on and off road. Some of the smaller trucking and construction/excavating companies have told me they could not afford the expense of maintenance and downtime associated with newer equipment.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #15
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep

I'm pretty sure a regen can be successfull forced with carly app as soon as the sensors are replaced.

There's a big difference between soot and ashes. A DPF change/recycling only makes sense when it's full with ashes not soot, which shouldn't be the case with only 100k miles.
      10-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #16
lor3n
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm still under CPO and since this is my daily commuter I haven't done anything yet with the exception of EGR plug after CBU cleaning.

Google BOHL diesel and fire him an email. Pretty much a one stop shop to get this whole thing done.
I sent BOHL Diesel a message and it has been 2 days and no reply. I also found BPC Diesel in NC, has anyone dealt with them for the delete? They haven't been very fast at getting back to me with pricing either.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #17
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lor3n
Quote:

I sent BOHL Diesel a message and it has been 2 days and no reply. I also found BPC Diesel in NC, has anyone dealt with them for the delete? They haven't been very fast at getting back to me with pricing either.
He was at an event in NC this week. I'll ping him and let him know you are waiting for a response.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #18
Frediesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 318is

Quote:
I'm pretty sure a regen can be successfull forced with carly app as soon as the sensors are replaced.
The regen. function in the Carly app is not available as of yet for the US spec. 335d
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #19
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lor3n
Quote:

There was a problem with the email addy. Should be all resolved now.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #20
lor3n
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There was a problem with the email addy. Should be all resolved now.
Yes that's right, I mistyped my email address so it was my fault. He actually contacted me right away after figuring out what had happened.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #21
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

First oil analysis since the deletes. No changes as far as I can tell.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #22
lor3n
United_States
Rep

I got all of the work done and everything has been running smoothly. I can't wait till the weather here gets better so I can put my summer tires back on. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. My car is a lot more fun to drive now and I can get 45-48 mpg on the highway.

Here is how the exhaust looks and sounds from the back of the car:

Appreciate 3