E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PWM meth flow issues solved - please read if you have any issues

09-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

PWM meth flow issues solved - please read if you have any issues

After trying just about everything I can think of to figure out why I was getting air in my lines and thinking that was my issue, a quick call from Shiv today helped diagnose my problem. I will say he was extremely helpful, called way after Vishnu was closed for the evening, and asked a few questions which helped get to the source of the problem quickly.

First of all, a tiny bit of air in the clear lines is NOT a problem as some have said. That air is purged out by the time the sensor registers meth.

The guidelines section, which I admittedly failed to read before trying out the system, clearly states not to use M3 or M5 methanol from VP because it contains additives which can harm the hardware. Since I didn't read that I thought the M5 would provide better performance and it was only a few more bucks. Well, even a few pulls with any type of gasoline product in it will cause the seals to swell and the nozzle will stick - which is seemingly the cause of the stuttering and hiccups I'm seeing.

If you're having any issues with meth flow you can test it by changing the requested meth injector DC in the map to 100 in all cells including and to the right of the 153 load column. When it's asking to see 100% flow the lights come on and stay on solidly the whole time every pull. At lower meth flow DC's it will slightly stick and cause problems. It was my bad for not reading the guidelines all the way through before going for a test drive, but I'm glad we got it figured out.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronner View Post
After trying just about everything I can think of to figure out why I was getting air in my lines and thinking that was my issue, a quick call from Shiv today helped diagnose my problem. I will say he was extremely helpful, called way after Vishnu was closed for the evening, and asked a few questions which helped get to the source of the problem quickly.

First of all, a tiny bit of air in the clear lines is NOT a problem as some have said. That air is purged out by the time the sensor registers meth.

The guidelines section, which I admittedly failed to read before trying out the system, clearly states not to use M3 or M5 methanol from VP because it contains additives which can harm the hardware. Since I didn't read that I thought the M5 would provide better performance and it was only a few more bucks. Well, even a few pulls with any type of gasoline product in it will cause the seals to swell and the nozzle will stick - which is seemingly the cause of the stuttering and hiccups I'm seeing.

If you're having any issues with meth flow you can test it by changing the requested meth injector DC in the map to 100 in all cells including and to the right of the 153 load column. When it's asking to see 100% flow the lights come on and stay on solidly the whole time every pull. At lower meth flow DC's it will slightly stick and cause problems. It was my bad for not reading the guidelines all the way through before going for a test drive, but I'm glad we got it figured out.
What a Hoot!

I don't know why, but just tonight I was messing with the injector duty cycle table and upped the values from 80 to 85.....

Right away I noticed that my meth flow became much more stable and almost a perfect straight line instead of oscillating up and down 2-3 points.

I was going to use 100, but didn't know if it was safe, so I just made a small change.

Did Shiv say 100 DC is ok to use?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i M/T, 15 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
Interesting so it was the M5 that was the culprit. So just need to replace seals and you should be good to go?

Thank you for letting us know.

(410whp 445ft/lbs | DCI + Meth Only)
OpenFlash OTS Stage 1 Flash | Vishnu PWM Meth Kit | Vishnu DCI| Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
What a Hoot!

I don't know why, but just tonight I was messing with the injector duty cycle table and upped the values from 80 to 85.....

Right away I noticed that my meth flow became much more stable and almost a perfect straight line instead of oscillating up and down 2-3 points.

I was going to use 100, but didn't know if it was safe, so I just made a small change.

Did Shiv say 100 DC is ok to use?
In the firmware, we have it so that any input above 85% equals an output of 100% as this is the DC% above which the valve goes static. You can see this in the datalog (which shows actual injector opening DC). And yes, this is perfectly safe.

Thanks for the PSA Tronner! And yes, to everyone else, using a gasoline additive in your meth mix will cause seal damage to the valve and require replacement. Even using a fuel funnel than you used to pour in gasoline (but didn't clean properly) will cause this problem if you use it to pour your meth fluid into your bottle!

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ellblazer, I had to replace the entire nozzle. I will say after replacing it with the new one my symptoms haven't gone away completely, but they have gotten better. I made sure I fully purged the system of any of the M5 / water mix, then I ran quite a bit of pure M1 / water through before the new nozzle went on. With the new nozzle on, even the first few pulls acted similarly to what I was seeing before and I honestly think there's more to it than just stuck seals. Possibly something with the altitude here in Denver or tuning or something - just not sure what.

Yesterday before heading to the airport I bumped the 80 values to 90 and it was very stable pulling through all gears, however it acts very weird on some of the upshifts - big stumble, loss of boost, then seems to sort out and pull hard again.

I've emailed some logs and thoughts to Shiv and will see what he comes up with.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
ellblazer, I had to replace the entire nozzle. I will say after replacing it with the new one my symptoms haven't gone away completely, but they have gotten better. I made sure I fully purged the system of any of the M5 / water mix, then I ran quite a bit of pure M1 / water through before the new nozzle went on. With the new nozzle on, even the first few pulls acted similarly to what I was seeing before and I honestly think there's more to it than just stuck seals. Possibly something with the altitude here in Denver or tuning or something - just not sure what.

Yesterday before heading to the airport I bumped the 80 values to 90 and it was very stable pulling through all gears, however it acts very weird on some of the upshifts - big stumble, loss of boost, then seems to sort out and pull hard again.

Hmmmmm......

That's too bad.

Mine's been tight as a drum ever since the duty cycle values were upped to 100%.

The loss of boost is certainly a clue to something else going on though.....the meth flow drop is probably just a reaction to this.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Hmmmmm......

That's too bad.

Mine's been tight as a drum ever since the duty cycle values were upped to 100%.

The loss of boost is certainly a clue to something else going on though.....the meth flow drop is probably just a reaction to this.
Well, the weird thing is that if I put it on map 1, set the boost to 14.5 psi with no autotune, it holds at least 12 psi to redline with no problem, so it doesn't seem like there is a boost leak. Although I suppose I could just be attributing that fall off in boost up top to our high altitude and maybe it is leaking off a bit of boost somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that things are worked out perfectly. I'm in Col Springs and my kit seems to be running fine, so I don't think your symptoms are altitude related. I see an occasional stumble on the first pull after no Meth has been flowing for a while (hours), but once the system purges its great. How close are your Map 1 and Map 2 boost settings?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
chrisw335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

glad i chose to use m1 only for myself..lesson learned!!

QUOTE=Tronner;10504695]After trying just about everything I can think of to figure out why I was getting air in my lines and thinking that was my issue, a quick call from Shiv today helped diagnose my problem. I will say he was extremely helpful, called way after Vishnu was closed for the evening, and asked a few questions which helped get to the source of the problem quickly.

If you're having any issues with meth flow you can test it by changing the requested meth injector DC in the map to 100 in all cells including and to the right of the 153 load column. When it's asking to see 100% flow the lights come on and stay on solidly the whole time every pull. At lower meth flow DC's it will slightly stick and cause problems. It was my bad for not reading the guidelines all the way through before going for a test drive, but I'm glad we got it figured out.[/QUOTE]
2007 335i Coupe 6AT - Sports Package - Premium Package - Procede V5 Rev 2.5 - Vishnu PWM - Vishnu DCI - Vanguard Exhaust - AR Downpipes - Helix FMIC - 19" Avant Garde M6 Reps - Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Bilstein PSS10 - M3 Suspension Bits - M3 Sway - M3 Strut Brace - GP Thunder -Forge DV -15% Tint - Aero Lip
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I tried an experiment today. I set it to Map 1, autotune off, IC 100, boost at 14.5 psi (which is where my meth map is set as well). Made some 2nd to 3rd pulls, and I'm seeing some of the same weird boost behavior without meth, so I think that's part of the problem. Now I just need to figure out what's causing it. Here's a log:

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Oh ya....

That's a roller coaster allright!

Now comes the process of elimination.

Let me see here......where did I put that decision tree?

Not envious of you at all, but hopefully it will be something mechanical and easy to find.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Went out today and essentially took everything apart or at least loosened, adjusted and re-tightened everything. Also trimmed the rubber elbow a bit because it seemed it was slightly crammed in there and maybe kinked just slightly, which I thought could be making it collapse slightly under high boost. Now it's pulled a bit tighter and it's not so bunched up. Also replaced the hose clamp on the elbow end of the charge pipe since the one that came with the kit was just barely big enough. I'm crossing my fingers that whatever I did sealed up any boost leaks. If not, I'm going to try to rotate the FMIC pipe slightly.

I did also find an interesting problem. When I was fiddling with the charge pipe I barely touched the PWM nozzle and the nut closest to the middle of the nozzle right by the flow sensor clip was slightly loose and it started leaking out some meth very easily. I tightened it up as well and hope that wasn't causing some of the problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sonofa......still having the same issues - if not worse! Very weird post-shift boost behavior - huge boost spikes then big drop, then stabilizes and pulls fine. When meth is flowing correctly ign advance goes up over 10 and it runs great, but it's a mess between shifts. I guess next step is to go back to map 6-14 or one that was working and see if it's the map for some reason. It's even doing it on map 1 with boost set to 11.5, autotune off, etc.

Here are two maps - one with meth and one on Map 1 with no meth.

No meth:

With meth:
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
chrisw335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

looks like some throttle closures and possibly some wastegate issues..log wgdc so we can see that
2007 335i Coupe 6AT - Sports Package - Premium Package - Procede V5 Rev 2.5 - Vishnu PWM - Vishnu DCI - Vanguard Exhaust - AR Downpipes - Helix FMIC - 19" Avant Garde M6 Reps - Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Bilstein PSS10 - M3 Suspension Bits - M3 Sway - M3 Strut Brace - GP Thunder -Forge DV -15% Tint - Aero Lip
Appreciate 0