E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > This time, it's for real.....

03-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

This time, it's for real.....

I know the Turbo is some peoples' dream car and it is an absolutely awesome performance car with the most sublime suspension, crazy performance and the most wonderful tactile 'feel'....it's pretty much without peer for the way it drives.

But it's never been a car that I've LOVED, the looks don't excite me, it sounds pretty dismal and theres little sense of occasion....look, I've never even changed my avatar photo so what does that say!! Oh, it also broke down and couldn't be fixed for a week - although it works now, the dealer still isn't sure what happened and if what they've done to fix it will work.

If the love ain't there, it just ain't there and theres no point continuing to pay for such a car if ultimately, I don't really love it.

I was almost certain that I'd get a new C63 AMG in the summer (and may still do so if what I've just bought doesn't work out) but a few days ago a guy I know bought a similar car to one that I considered a few months ago. I had a drive in it and was so impressed this time round that I started investigating what affordable examples were about. And today, I was offered a deal that meant 5 months worth of Porsche ownership has basically cost me the princely sum of £900 :thumb: (plus retro-fit cruise )

Well, with an offer like that I just couldn't turn down selling it and replacing it with this....

So, what's it like?

Well, it's a Maserati Granturismo 4.7S MC Shift with all the right options (Bose, Nav, Bluetooth, full leather and alcantara interior etc etc), it's a 2 year old, absolutely pristine example with just 7k on the clock and, as I didn't buy it from a main dealer, it's currently one of the cheapest of it's type for sale in the UK (the only one cheaper has considerably more mileage). It's still under warranty, it's got a Palmball-spec interior (i.e. not black) and, with just 440bhp, it's probably the slowest car I've owned for 3 years.

However, having now owned what is probably one of the fastest cars on the planet and having very little opportunity to enjoy it, I'm comfortable with moving to something a bit slower as the sense of occasion with the Maserati is on another planet to the Porsche. All you pesky M3 / tuned 335i drivers will probably be able to nail my new car now!

For those who remember why I didn't buy one before, the appalling seats...why has this not put me off this time? Well, it's all about relativity.

When I looked at one of these a few months ago, I was coming out of the C63 which simply has the best seats of...well, anything IMO. The Porsche seats aren't as good as the C63's and as I've got used to those, getting out of the Porsche and into the Maserati means I don't notice the seats to be all that bad now. Funny how that works isn't it!

A couple of final things.it - firstly, it'll be so good to get back in a car that sounds great. The Maserati has a flat-plane crank V8 so sounds exactly like a Ferrari and as it's the MC Shift model (semi-auto), it has a sport by-pass button for the exhaust which sounds delicious.

Secondly, it's so pleasant to drive a car that doesn't rattle, creak, buzz etc. The Porsche has been plagued with such noises since I've had it (and indeed so were the other two 911's I had as courtesy cars over the last 5 months), yet eveytime I've driven one of these Maserati's they've been nothing but well built, solid and totally rattle free. Again, funny that....given you'd expect it to be very much the other way round.

Ready for the flaming now.....

Last edited by Palmnuts; 03-11-2011 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
E92BSM10
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-Sport Highline

Very nice car palmnuts
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Wow, I want!!

Absolutely gorgeous

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Think I better put the kettle on because I don't thnk I'd mind that parked on my drive probably one of the nicest looking cars on the road today imo I suppose the performance is what you might miss the most
      03-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Cheers guys...I'm far more certain about this one than the Porsche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
Think I better put the kettle on because I don't thnk I'd mind that parked on my drive probably one of the nicest looking cars on the road today imo I suppose the performance is what you might miss the most
If you want to see the Porsche, you've got this weekend lol!

At least now you'll have a quicker car than me
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
It might be slower and less comfortable than a lot of cars, but the sound and sheer presence of a Maser, especially that model would be enough for me.

There's no point in having one and driving it so no one can see it, it's the type of car that you need to be seen in.

Awesome, and one of your better, if not best buys
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Who the hell is going to flame you Andrew with THAT .

I absolutely freakin' love um. Yes, I've got a little bit of a biase towards the marque but when you mention things like 'sense of occassion' there are few that can come close.

When I scrolled down, fully expecting to see another boring AMG (flaming in my direction now ), I couldn't help but mutter bastard under by breath.

Very jealous now .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Awesome.
That is all.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Repost
Stupid iPhone/sausage fingers combination.

I'll use the opportunity to say "what a car".
Love it.

Last edited by sheps; 03-11-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Andrew, have you played with the configurator on the Maserati website, the sheer number of options, colours & combination is just eye-boggling (so is the fuji bianco paint-job at £5k )

EDIT - just checked and not only did I get the name the wrong way round, it's bianco fuji, but I was a little out on the price - it's £15,000 .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe

Last edited by rogerxp; 03-11-2011 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Wow...thanks guys! I really didn;t expect such a positive reaction given I am getting rid of a 911 Turbo for it (the 911 is after all the most common and well-liked car on this forum )

It is genuinely a nice car....not a sports car but a very good GT (and as such, probably more up my street).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
It might be slower and less comfortable than a lot of cars, but the sound and sheer presence of a Maser, especially that model would be enough for me.

There's no point in having one and driving it so no one can see it, it's the type of car that you need to be seen in.

Awesome, and one of your better, if not best buys
Lol! So what IS my best buy IYO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Who the hell is going to flame you Andrew with THAT .

I absolutely freakin' love um. Yes, I've got a little bit of a biase towards the marque but when you mention things like 'sense of occassion' there are few that can come close.

When I scrolled down, fully expecting to see another boring AMG (flaming in my direction now ), I couldn't help but mutter bastard under by breath.

Very jealous now .
Boring AMG? Boring AMG????

Flush your head down the toilet Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
Repost
Stupid iPhone/sausage fingers combination.

I'll use the opportunity to say "what a car".
Love it.
Cheers sheps! When did you become an AMG owner (one of those NOT boring cars...Roger!)? I must have missed that one
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Andrew, I can't believe you have done that - got rid of the Pork TT after so little time!!! I know absolutely bugger all about Masers, and it has never been a Marque that has 'spun my props' at all. I think I would have prefered the Aston DB9 over a Maserati. Your Pork TT looked absolutely stunning, and niggles aside, it would be a car that I would happily saw my left leg off (with a blunt knife) to own, it really is the everyday supercar.

To cap it all, you loose next to nothing on an OPC bought TT after just 4 months! How do you do it you jammy git? If I was to move on my C4S I would loose a significant chunk of money.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your Pork experience today, a decent way of saying farewell to the brand.

My money is on you not enjoying the Maser experience.........
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I love these. Very, very classy!
      03-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
....Ready for the flaming now.....

Flaming!
You're 'avin a larrrff!

I would give my left testicle (that's the good one!) to have that car!

Enjoy it, I am jealous.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cheers sheps! When did you become an AMG owner (one of those NOT boring cars...Roger!)? I must have missed that one
I got a CL55 in November when the Beemer went back and took delivery of a new C63 4 weeks ago. Love it, I can see why you're so passionate about the latest generation of AMG's

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
I got a CL55 in November when the Beemer went back and took delivery of a new C63 4 weeks ago. Love it, I can see why you're so passionate about the latest generation of AMG's
Well done mate - you kept that quite (I think). Yes I am passionate about them - they're incredible (and much faster than what I've just bought)! Are you on MB Club yet?...theres a few C63 owners over there who are all very nice people.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Beautiful car Andrew! No flaming from this direction, I prefer the Maser!
      03-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I did post it up, but I think it disappeared down the list pretty quickly.
Not as pimp as yours was, but I'm over the moon with it. The noise is addictive.
Can't wait to see the Maserati in the metal. Without wishing to sound like a total deviant, how does it smell?! I have always found Italian cars have a totally unique and beautiful smell. Even at 15 years old my old Ferrari smelt amazing.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #19
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
You need to update your list here...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498179
(trust you to be the first to need to update their list )
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #20
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Andrew, I can't believe you have done that - got rid of the Pork TT after so little time!!! I know absolutely bugger all about Masers, and it has never been a Marque that has 'spun my props' at all. I think I would have prefered the Aston DB9 over a Maserati. Your Pork TT looked absolutely stunning, and niggles aside, it would be a car that I would happily saw my left leg off (with a blunt knife) to own, it really is the everyday supercar.

To cap it all, you loose next to nothing on an OPC bought TT after just 4 months! How do you do it you jammy git? If I was to move on my C4S I would loose a significant chunk of money.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your Pork experience today, a decent way of saying farewell to the brand.

My money is on you not enjoying the Maser experience.........
The Porsche Experience day was quite good - if not as exciting as I expected.

The track had too many slow cars on it (i.e. everyone else other than me) meaning I really couldn't get into a rhythm...it also hammered home the fact that the Turbo isn't the easiest to drive on track - the power delivery is just too brutal for the relatively tight track that they have. The low grip circle isn't as good as the wetted circle at MB World but on the flip side, the kick plate and ice hill were great for practicing car control - I could've spent longer on those bits.

Now, as for me not enjoying the Maser experience....harsh , but maybe fair given my form

However, I've been much more certain about the Maser this week than I was prior to buying the Porsche and it's more 'me'....a bit more of a refined GT than hardcore sports car - it's also not got a black interior, it just looks awesome inside and out and it brings back the thing I miss most about the AMG...the noise (albeit in a different, slightly harder tune)!

The acid test will be the weekend polishing session....I love spending a weekend polishing my car but I never really got into it with the Turbo. I reckon the Maserati will be different - it's just too good looking not to!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #21
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Lol! So what IS my best buy IYO?
The Maserati, forget BHP & torque it oozes class and like any Aston Martin smacks of sophistication.
One never mentions speed when talking about these marques, it's like talking about your wealth, it really is unimportant.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #22
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

I know it's not a nice thing to say but I'd just like to call you an utter bastard