E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > need some help :(

03-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

need some help :(

Hey everyone, my car just recently threw a service light and showed the rear end of the car and the 'brake' light illuminated in yellow. I know I have to replace my rear pads but do I have to replace the rotors as well? And do I need a new brake pad sensor or whatever it is ? Please help, its my first time that I have to do this without warranty. Thank you everyone
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
That light is tied to the brake sensor. Are you sure it's the pads and not just the sensor? Look at the caliper and see how much pad is left.

How many miles on the car? Have brakes ever been done?

That said if you do have to replace pads and/or rotors, I recommend OEM parts. They work great for street use.
      03-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
That light is tied to the brake sensor. Are you sure it's the pads and not just the sensor? Look at the caliper and see how much pad is left.

How many miles on the car? Have brakes ever been done?

That said if you do have to replace pads and/or rotors, I recommend OEM parts. They work great for street use.
Yeah I'm sre its the pads, they're pretty low. I have 57k miles and they have been done before 3 times to be exact. And I was planning to get the m3 brake kit vs. A stoptech or brembo or wilwood bbk if I had to replace rotors. But I was planning on cool carbons or hawks if it was pads only. How do I know I should change the sensor too? And how would I know if I needa flush my old fluid out?
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Yeah I'm sre its the pads, they're pretty low. I have 57k miles and they have been done before 3 times to be exact. And I was planning to get the m3 brake kit vs. A stoptech or brembo or wilwood bbk if I had to replace rotors. But I was planning on cool carbons or hawks if it was pads only. How do I know I should change the sensor too? And how would I know if I needa flush my old fluid out?
Whoa! You've changes your rear brakes 3 times in 57k mi?
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Whoa! You've changes your rear brakes 3 times in 57k mi?
Is that bad??
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Well... I replaced my first set at 55k mi and the dealer said it was unusually low and the second set lasted 80k mi with 2 track days. The fronts lasted 80k mi on the first 2 sets. 3rd set is unknown because I swapped the calipers. I'm still using the 3rd set on the new calipers front and rear.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
quattrosaint
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Is that bad??
Yeah, that is really bad, the brake bias has to be off somehow.
      03-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well... I replaced my first set at 55k mi and the dealer said it was unusually low and the second set lasted 80k mi with 2 track days. The fronts lasted 80k mi on the first 2 sets. 3rd set is unknown because I swapped the calipers. I'm still using the 3rd set on the new calipers front and rear.
The dealer has swapped my rotors once. The first brake change was at 17k, second at 35k, 3rd was at 49k and now this would be the upcomming 4th at 57k. The rotor change was at the same time as my 35k for both front and rears. The fronts don't even seem to go out as fast as the rears, I don't drift or use the ebrake out of the ordinary when I'm parking or what not. I do drive in the canyons a lot though, but there are others that I go with that haven't even changed their pads since my second pad change. Could there be something wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrosaint View Post
Yeah, that is really bad, the brake bias has to be off somehow.
Idk why my car is like this, it kinda confuses me cuz my rears has had more changes than fronts. I've only replaced the fronts twice and they didn't even throw a light, it was about 1k miles before I needed to. Should I be concerned? And my rear brakes shoot off an enormous amount of brake dust. Usually my whole rear bumper is covered with a layer thick enough to write on it with your finger within 2 weeks. What could be the problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
The uneven wear is weird. I wish I was more of an expert in this area to help you out.
Quote:
And my rear brakes shoot off an enormous amount of brake dust. Usually my whole rear bumper is covered with a layer thick enough to write on it with your finger within 2 weeks. What could be the problem?
That's a LOT of brake dust. My 335 has different brakes but ... I have no significant brake dust buildup - none like that, anyway. Even after going to the track.

Talk to the techs and the dealer and see what they say.
      03-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

35k is really low for the fronts too. You should get minimum 50k out of the brakes and there should be minimal uneven wear left to right. Front to back is a different story. My car cakes up brake dust very quickly also. In a week my wheels are brown, but I drive a lot more than you I think.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
The uneven wear is weird. I wish I was more of an expert in this area to help you out.

That's a LOT of brake dust. My 335 has different brakes but ... I have no significant brake dust buildup - none like that, anyway. Even after going to the track.

Talk to the techs and the dealer and see what they say.
I've tried talking to the techs and they reply that they can't speak to me because of contract rule?? Seems like BS maybe cuz I'm young. But ill definitely check that out, but the brake dust has always been a lot. My rims are usually covered so bad that it looks like they're gunmetal instead of silver/polished hahahaha
Quote:
35k is really low for the fronts too. You should get minimum 50k out of the brakes and there should be minimal uneven wear left to right. Front to back is a different story. My car cakes up brake dust very quickly also. In a week my wheels are brown, but I drive a lot more than you I think.
Really? My SA never said it was outta the normal, I also had about 4 oilchanges comming on my fifth and already needed a new set of cats. I doubt its the way I drive, my car seems to be a hassle the first year I had it. Nothing but problems and rattling and my dealership wouldn't call it under the lemon law. And within a week I put on average 300 miles, my car doesn't stay clean for long, even with wax and sealant on, there's so much dust caked on it takes me 30 mins for my car and about 15 per wheel cuz the dust is so severe
Appreciate 0