E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Say hello to my little friend! (warning long post and large pics)

07-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Say hello to my little friend! (warning long post and large pics)

Hey guys,

Thought I'd introduce myself. My name's bahasad (not actually my name) and I just bought an Arctic Silver Metallic 08 328I on my Birthday which was on July 19th.

A little bit about me and my car history: I am 24 years old, and am a part time retail engineer at a large petrochemical company and am a senior finishing my mechanical engineering degree. I was always into cars since I could walk. I got my first car when I was 21 which was an E36 325IS. It was my first BMW and I absolutely loved it. It was old (95) and pretty beat up and at the time I wasn't in a great position financially, but it drove like it was on rails and It was an attention grabber. Here are some pics:

Unfortunately that car was on its last legs and I was doing my 6 month co-op at this company and couldn't drive it to work. Sadly I sold it, but replaced it with a 2004 Acura TL. I paid for this car on my own and I was very proud of that. I liked the car, but from day one I sort of wanted to get back to a BMW. The car definitely took some abuse - I drove it to work everyday, commuted to school with it. I never really bonded with it though even after adding new tires, lowered springs, and bushings, I could never get it to have the handling I wanted. It was dependable, fast, and spacious though. Here are some pics of the Acura:

So after 11 months of the Acura, I replaced it on Friday, July 19th, when I turned 24 with my new E90. I am finally into a BMW and am happy as hell. Here are some pics:

My goals are to keep it in good condition and put minor upgrades since I do not want to ruin its handling and ride - HIDs, coding mods, black kidneys, and eventually CSL rims.

TLDR: I am in an E90 and happy as hell!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
Hey guys,

..[ I ] am a part time retail engineer at a large petrochemical company ...

...my first car when I was 21 which was an E36 325IS. It was my first BMW and I absolutely loved it. It was old (95) and pretty beat up and at the time I wasn't in a great position financially, but it drove like it was on rails and It was an attention grabber.

Unfortunately that car was on its last legs and I was doing my 6 month co-op at this company and couldn't drive it to work. Sadly I sold it, but replaced it with a 2004 Acura TL. ...

So after 11 months of the Acura, I replaced it on Friday, July 19th, when I turned 24 with my new E90. I am finally into a BMW and am happy as hell.

My goals are to keep it in good condition and put minor upgrades since I do not want to ruin its handling and ride - HIDs, coding mods, black kidneys, and eventually CSL rims.

Welcome and congratulations on achieving one of your goals.

You and have a similar car history. The first car I bought for myself was an '89 Accord coupe, but someone felt it was better off being liberated from my tyranny. So I replaced it with a new '93 E36 318i. It was a very sparsely appointed car (heated seats and a sunroof were the only options), but like yours, I just loved the way it drove. It's what got me started on my enduring love affair with the BMW 3 series.

I kept that car until 2007, maintaining it dutifully as you plan to do with your E90, though I didn't ever modify it. I could well have kept it but frankly I just wanted something different, so I gave it to a relative. That branch of my family still have that car and pass it on from one teenager to the next as the "starter/learner" car. (Given that usage, I'm genuinely shocked the thing is still in one piece, to say nothing of actually running.) To this day, E36s holds a special place in my car-heart.

Like you, I plan to keep my E92 for good while longer. I'm just not the type to replace a daily driver that is is in good shape physically and mechanically. I looks like you got a 328 and that's a great choice. It's a bit less finicky than the 335 and yet a very capable car. I know you'll love it and that with care will last you a very long time. I think it'll outlast it's 335i stablemates and even now think I should have listened to my better judgment and bought a 328 E92 instead of the 335.

Again welcome, and thanks for sharing your story of achievement. I enjoyed reading it and I'm happy for you. All the best for your continued success.

PS

What does a retail engineer at a petrochemical company do? I've not ever heard of that job description, and as a management consultant who's provided professional services to a variety of Fortune 200 companies, including a couple in the oil and gas industry, I've come across quite a few job descriptions that I'd never heard of before. And not to be deprecating toward you, but at first blush, given the abundance of big words in the title, it sounds like a fancy name for gas station attendant, much like building engineer is a fancy name for janitor. As I said, I'm asking, not tying to insult you. An honest job is an honest job; there's shame to be deserved only in deliberately sponging off the kindness of others and making no effort to bring an end to the need to do so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Thank you, I appreciate it. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with an obsession for BMWs - the way they drive, their overall characteristic I think it's great. I just hope BMW doesn't loose it in the way the company is heading.

To be specific, I work for Sunoco Marketing, and my job title is a Retail (Pump & Tank) Engineer. As for my job, the retail engineer is the side of the company that deals with the actual gas stations and equipment - my job is more specifically the role of a Pump & Tank equipment. All the gas station dispensing equipment, tanks, and related piping equipment, I'm responsible for the coordination of maintenance and testing programs, replacements of necessary equipment, improving site development, durability, and performance and much more projects involving engineering and construction. And this is all across the Eastern seaboard.
I do not work at a gas station and no disrespect to people who do, since I did that for a short amount of time after high school to make money.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Nice and welcome! Look into some weight reduction! ForgeStar F14 wheels are awesome, but there are other, similar lightweight wheels. They make the drive and handling much better!
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate it. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with an obsession for BMWs - the way they drive, their overall characteristic I think it's great. I just hope BMW doesn't loose it in the way the company is heading.

To be specific, I work for Sunoco Marketing, and my job title is a Retail (Pump & Tank) Engineer. As for my job, the retail engineer is the side of the company that deals with the actual gas stations and equipment - my job is more specifically the role of a Pump & Tank equipment. All the gas station dispensing equipment, tanks, and related piping equipment, I'm responsible for the coordination of maintenance and testing programs, replacements of necessary equipment, improving site development, durability, and performance and much more projects involving engineering and construction. And this is all across the Eastern seaboard.
I do not work at a gas station and no disrespect to people who do, since I did that for a short amount of time after high school to make money.
TY for the explanation. As you said, there's nothing wrong with being a gas station attendant. Indeed, I'd have been thrilled to learn that the salary from that pursuit alone would be enough to buy a BMW for surely that job doesn't have the nuisance stress and inter-/intra-organizaitonal politics mine does. Even though I'm certain it would pay far less, so long as I could afford a new 3er every so often , I'd even consider changing to that job for I've reached the point were I can happily live on a good deal less income, and I could always have done with less stress. Thankfully, I enjoy what I do enough still that I will endure the stress and silly politics.

All the best to you.

PS
Is it just happenstance that the two roundels in my post are dancing together? LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
ludinick
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi 4door

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thought I'd introduce myself. My name's bahasad (not actually my name) and I just bought an Arctic Silver Metallic 08 328I on my Birthday which was on July 19th.

A little bit about me and my car history: I am 24 years old, and am a part time retail engineer at a large petrochemical company and am a senior finishing my mechanical engineering degree. I was always into cars since I could walk. I got my first car when I was 21 which was an E36 325IS. It was my first BMW and I absolutely loved it. It was old (95) and pretty beat up and at the time I wasn't in a great position financially, but it drove like it was on rails and It was an attention grabber. Here are some pics:

Unfortunately that car was on its last legs and I was doing my 6 month co-op at this company and couldn't drive it to work. Sadly I sold it, but replaced it with a 2004 Acura TL. I paid for this car on my own and I was very proud of that. I liked the car, but from day one I sort of wanted to get back to a BMW. The car definitely took some abuse - I drove it to work everyday, commuted to school with it. I never really bonded with it though even after adding new tires, lowered springs, and bushings, I could never get it to have the handling I wanted. It was dependable, fast, and spacious though. Here are some pics of the Acura:

So after 11 months of the Acura, I replaced it on Friday, July 19th, when I turned 24 with my new E90. I am finally into a BMW and am happy as hell. Here are some pics:

congrats on the E90!! its an amazing car. I have a 328xi in jet black, for about 5 years now, and im looking into doing some mods finally....so far the only thing ive done is HIDs (low beams & fog lights) BUT its has been the best investment thus far.. i had the standard halogen bulbs, no angel eyes or projector lights. i ordered my lights from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ and it cost me about $300. figured id throw that in there in case u started looking into HIDs.

congrats again, and enjoy!!
Appreciate 0