E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Braking Issues

02-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Braking Issues

Took my E90 335 in to check the brakes out. I have steptronic and about 15-20% of the time when I release the brakes, the car would lunge forward. There is some kind of delay when I release the brakes. Usually when you slowly release the brakes, the car moves gradually forward but mine hesitates, then jerks forward.
Anyways, I explained it pretty clearly to the SA and the punk says it's normal and part of the hill decent feature where the car brakes for you so you don't roll back. But my issue is on normal flat roads. If you can imagine, parking in my garage or in front of a wall is kind of scary because I might hit the wall. I'm used to it but any other driver will have a problem.
I also complained of some hard jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd gear on cold starts but the SA keeps insisting it's normal. The car is normal once it warms up so it's not as big a deal as the brakes.

I'm kind of frustrated at the SA and how he kept saying that it's normal for the E90's brakes to behave this way. I've never heard of anyone else having this issue on this forum.

Anyone else experience this???
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

He's right. It's awful, but mine does the same thing in the garage on a level surface. You can't slowly move the car forward. The brakes grab really badly.

And, it's not just he 3 series. My nephew has a new 550 and his car does exactly the same thing.

It would be nice if you could switch off the hill holder feature, because this braking thing makes you crazy, besides almost hitting the wall each time.

Sorry, but that's how these cars work. Doesn't make it right, however.

Larry in Los Angeles
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Took my E90 335 in to check the brakes out. I have steptronic and about 15-20% of the time when I release the brakes, the car would lunge forward. There is some kind of delay when I release the brakes. Usually when you slowly release the brakes, the car moves gradually forward but mine hesitates, then jerks forward.
Anyways, I explained it pretty clearly to the SA and the punk says it's normal and part of the hill decent feature where the car brakes for you so you don't roll back. But my issue is on normal flat roads. If you can imagine, parking in my garage or in front of a wall is kind of scary because I might hit the wall. I'm used to it but any other driver will have a problem.
I also complained of some hard jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd gear on cold starts but the SA keeps insisting it's normal. The car is normal once it warms up so it's not as big a deal as the brakes.

I'm kind of frustrated at the SA and how he kept saying that it's normal for the E90's brakes to behave this way. I've never heard of anyone else having this issue on this forum.

Anyone else experience this???
Noticed both issues although the Auto doesn't usually start in 1st gear, does it? Regardless, there are rough shifts down low when it is cold.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

I have a manual and the symptoms are a little different but there is no gradual on the brakes - they are on or off. Makes for very jerky driving when going slow or even upon first application of the brakes.

Even though they aren't brake by wire there is some computer intervention here will allows for the hill holding and other "advantages".
I'm hoping a software fix will come along.

Service people at stealers aren't interested in any non-normal problems.
      02-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

That sucks. It could seriously be a safety issue and should be recalled. If you let someone borrow your car and they're at a stoplight and pedistrians are crossing, they can potentially lunge forward 4-6 inches and hit someone when they intentionally only wanted to creep forward an inch.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
mrringodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

My 330 does the same thing.
      02-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
boyce'06 330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Slvr/Gray Prem/Sport

Search for "bedding in brakes". I had the same issue and bedded my brakes and it's all but gone. Chances are, your pads and rotors have glazed. You can also try brake cleaner, but bedding them in is more fun!
Appreciate 0