E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335D Road Trip

07-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

335D Road Trip

Hi Guys,

So I just got back from my trip to the US and I had a very fun time with the 335D.

In all we drove 6400km in total going from Canada down to Santa Barbara.

Harold at HP Autowerks installed a set of Ohlins road and track coil overs and did an excellent job of the installation.

I also had Opti Coat pro installed on the car by Colberns Auto detailing and Nick was very good with the car. It shines now without much extra effort on the cleaning side.

In Vegas I had the car put on a Dyno just to see how much power my Evolve tune was doing. To my happiness the car put down 299whp when the outside temperatures was 105F. We were lucky enough to be in Vegas when it was nice and warm outside 118F. How lucky to get such hot weather. My wife absolutely loved the heat.

Average fuel economy for the trip was 7.5l/ 100km (31.2 USmpg) and the average speed for the whole trip was 109km/hr (68mph) and a driving time of 65 hours with air conditioning on all the time. Not bad considering how much time was spent in towns, construction zones etc...

I love this thing in the mountains when traffic is sparse, it absolutely drops anything and chews through road like nothing. Any vehicles silly enough to follow usually gave up after realizing how much fuel they use trying to keep up as this car can easily drive 150km/hr (94mph) for about 4hrs before you even think of looking to refuel. On the flats you can easily right lane sail from vehicle to vehicle to avoid the pop radar without too much fuel penalty.

Travelling down the I-15 with the M-sport down and coming back with the Ohlins is night and day difference. Going down I know was slower and this was due to a combination of alignment and suspension. Once the suspension was installed, the speed went up and the trip home saved a lot of time.

Make sure if you really want to fly that you use a good radar detector as the enforcement guys really like to pop instant on radar. Sometimes its nice to have a rabbit to follow, but there weren't to many people from Alberta travelling when I was, so rabbits were scarce.

Generally I will say that US roads are way better built and maintained than Canadian roads. The coil over damping setting at home will be much softer as our roads are crap.

Drivers in some states are better than others. Montana, Idaho, Utah generally are better than Nevada. California drivers are the worst I experienced not including my home province.
I don't understand how a simple concept of pass on the left and move back to the right lane after passing is too hard to comprehend, but after returning from California I thought I was in Britain where I was passing on the right and then moving back in the left before moving to the right to pass.

Most interesting though was the number of Toyota prius vehicles on the road doing 80-90 on I-15. I doubt there is any economy at those speeds.

As for the diesel, I did notice one thing. The 335D does not like to drive at 65-70mph. It does prefer above 80 and it really settled in nicely between 88-100 mph. When I got home the engine feels much more responsive than when I left and this must be to the proper use of the car on good roads and faster speed limits. The car just loves to be driven hard.

I'm looking forward to my next road trip to the US when I get to enjoy all the wonderful roads of the US.
      07-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Crazy trip man! Where did you start from?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
That's really funny I am just in the final stages of planning my own roadtrip from Canada down to the US and back.

My Current Route will be 3626km Starting and Ending in Vancouver:
I threw the google maps printout in the attachment! I am especially looking forward to the #1 heading out of San Francisco to Eureka and then some of the mountain passes in central Oregon.

If any of you have done this drive, or part of, before I am open to suggestions for great driving roads or unrelated attractions.

I will report back what my stats will be, but I promise fuel consumption won't be on my top priority list and I will bring my radar detector haha
Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMs335D View Post
...If any of you have done this drive, or part of, before I am open to suggestions for great driving roads or unrelated attractions.
I might suggest a couple alternatives in Oregon and Washington (you won't be able to do both).
1) on 97 (or 197) north of Redmond, take 26 up to Mt. Hood and visit the Timberline Lodge, then a) go down to Hood River via OR 35 and windsurf/whatever or b) go on down 26 to Gresham/Portland.
2) When you get to the Columbia, take 97 to Yakima then WA 410 over Chinook Pass on the eastern edge of Mt. Rainier NP then either north on 410 or sw on WA 23 around the south edge of the park.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Awesome.
      07-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
So I just got back from my trip to the US and I had a very fun time with the 335D.

In all we drove 6400km in total going from Canada down to Santa Barbara.
Now you've gone and made me want to take a road trip.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Crazy trip man! Where did you start from?
Hi Greek,

Started from Saskatoon, Sk and headed to Lethbridge and then the I-15 all the way down to Santa Barbara then back.
      07-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMs335D View Post
That's really funny I am just in the final stages of planning my own roadtrip from Canada down to the US and back.

My Current Route will be 3626km Starting and Ending in Vancouver:
I threw the google maps printout in the attachment! I am especially looking forward to the #1 heading out of San Francisco to Eureka and then some of the mountain passes in central Oregon.

If any of you have done this drive, or part of, before I am open to suggestions for great driving roads or unrelated attractions.

I will report back what my stats will be, but I promise fuel consumption won't be on my top priority list and I will bring my radar detector haha
Cheers
I have actually done the route on the coast, then I-5 on a previous trip in a Subaru WRX. Went down the I-15 to LA then up along the 101 up to Crescent City then up to Vancouver then back through the mountains on #3 Crowsnest.

The coast drive is beautiful and it also goes through the redwoods.

If you love to fill your tank and use additive make sure to fill up in Washington before driving through Oregon. From the time I did the mentioned previous trip it was illegal to fill your own fuel. I was not happy with someone filling the Subie.

The things I remember most fondly on that trip.

Seattle - Pikes Place Market

San Louis Obispo - You must eat at the Big Sky Cafe. As a foodie person, this is the some of best food for the price I have ever eaten period.

I actually drove there this trip just to eat there for a second time and would have eaten there a third but the purchased wine needed to be air conditioned as the weather was so warm out so supper had to be skipped.
      07-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Drivers in some states are better than others. Montana, Idaho, Utah generally are better than Nevada. California drivers are the worst I experienced not including my home province.
You are 100% correct. Sad really...
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
California drivers are the worst I experienced not including my home province. I don't understand how a simple concept of pass on the left and move back to the right lane after passing is too hard to comprehend, but after returning from California I thought I was in Britain where I was passing on the right and then moving back in the left before moving to the right to pass.
story of my life
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
story of my life
I do feel your pain. This is what I have at home. I call it the tunnel vision syndrome. The drivers get so focused on what is in front of them that they don't see what is going on around them. We have multiple turning lanes which usually only one gets used while the line piles up all the way to the back to the freeway exit. When you finally get to the empty lanes and pass those people you have no problem. It is so strange.
      07-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

haha, I thought about this on the way in today and I figure 75% of the passing I do in the morning is on the right. Sad really, but its so frequent and necessary that I dont even think twice about it anymore. I understand the undecided driving a lot more on the weekends when the roads are filled with people who dont know where theyre going but in commute traffic?
Appreciate 0