E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > "My guy drives a BMW. What should I do?"

11-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
"My guy drives a BMW. What should I do?"

Uh oh...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1352707/

Question:

I just started dating a guy who drives a flashy new BMW convertible. His car impresses me but what's behind the wheel? Should I cut it off now?

– Concerned of Ottawa

Being a BMW driver can mean a multitude of things. In addition to the car, you'll have to look at other factors to make your decision. A BMW is a grey area for determining personality, and in this case, date-ability.

Many of the reasons for driving a Bimmer are valid, like quality of the machine - they're very well built, they hug the road, and are incredibly fun to drive. But driving a BMW might also mean he's pretentious and into showing off his wealth. Then again, maybe he's just got an appreciation for fine machines, and a BMW is a fine automobile indeed. Maybe he simply enjoys the feel of the road. But a certain percentage of the population own Bimmers, and convertibles, because they offer the perception of wealth and prestige.

These drivers don't necessarily appreciate a vehicle for what it truly is. If that's the case with your new man, then he probably won't appreciate your less-obvious qualities, either. If he doesn't care about what's under his hood, how can he care about what's under yours? Apart from your fabulous good looks, would you be satisfied if your wit, sensitivity, and charm were lost on him? And what if he doesn't care about the fact that you can whip up an apple crumble to rival his grandmother's? Or that you were high school valedictorian or provincial ping-pong champ?

Believe it or not, there are unglamorous moments in owning a flashy convertible. Like any car, they still need oil changes, regular maintenance, and overall loving care. As a woman, even if it's your policy to never let them see you sweat, we've got our less glamorous moments, too. Imagine, for example, the horror of a sudden downpour during a weekend walk. Is this guy going to declare that you're even more beautiful drenched, with mascara running down your face?

When assessing any BMW driver you have to look beyond the car. What does he wear? How does he carry himself? Does he stand with the car as if it's only possession? Does he flaunt the fact that he owns a Bimmer? Does his wallet contain pictures of a buxom blonde bikini model leaning up against his car? Does he cherish it as though it were his only child? Is his sound system setting new decibel records? Is his mom making the payments? If any of these are true, you've got a problem.

And let's not forget, this is Canada -- that convertible better be a hardtop. There's nothing like blasting through a Winnipeg winter with only a thin piece of fabric between you and the -65 degree windchill. And here's hoping he had the sense to buy the elegant new Z4 roadster, which, incidentally, was designed by two women.

What you want to hear is that it took your guy two or three years to find just the right car. You want to know that based on his previous car experience, he knew exactly what he was looking for. You want to know that it's ok to feel the leather, or that he'll let his dog jump up on the front seat, and worry about cleaning it up later. Does he talk badly about all the cars he used to drive? And if he sees another flashy convertible, what does he do? You need to know, because these things reflect how he will treat you.

If he's Johnny-Depp cool about the whole thing, his car doesn't define him, and you're not just another possession -- lean back and enjoy the ride, preferably on warm days with the top down. And who knows? If things go really well with Convertible Guy, maybe the two of you will trade up to a 3-Series Sports Wagon full of kids someday.

On the other hand, it depends what you're both looking for. Based on your hesitation, I've assumed you're looking for a committed, mature relationship. But if you simply want to see and be seen, and he's placed all his goods in the storefront window, the two of you may hit it off famously.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
haha good find...i likey lols

hahahah gotta be soks
      11-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Way to stereotype a BMW owner.. LOL

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzz View Post
Uh oh...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1352707/

Question:

I just started dating a guy who drives a flashy new BMW convertible. His car impresses me but what's behind the wheel? Should I cut it off now?

– Concerned of Ottawa

Being a BMW driver can mean a multitude of things. In addition to the car, you'll have to look at other factors to make your decision. A BMW is a grey area for determining personality, and in this case, date-ability.

Many of the reasons for driving a Bimmer are valid, like quality of the machine - they're very well built, they hug the road, and are incredibly fun to drive. But driving a BMW might also mean he's pretentious and into showing off his wealth. Then again, maybe he's just got an appreciation for fine machines, and a BMW is a fine automobile indeed. Maybe he simply enjoys the feel of the road. But a certain percentage of the population own Bimmers, and convertibles, because they offer the perception of wealth and prestige.

These drivers don't necessarily appreciate a vehicle for what it truly is. If that's the case with your new man, then he probably won't appreciate your less-obvious qualities, either. If he doesn't care about what's under his hood, how can he care about what's under yours? Apart from your fabulous good looks, would you be satisfied if your wit, sensitivity, and charm were lost on him? And what if he doesn't care about the fact that you can whip up an apple crumble to rival his grandmother's? Or that you were high school valedictorian or provincial ping-pong champ?

Believe it or not, there are unglamorous moments in owning a flashy convertible. Like any car, they still need oil changes, regular maintenance, and overall loving care. As a woman, even if it's your policy to never let them see you sweat, we've got our less glamorous moments, too. Imagine, for example, the horror of a sudden downpour during a weekend walk. Is this guy going to declare that you're even more beautiful drenched, with mascara running down your face?

When assessing any BMW driver you have to look beyond the car. What does he wear? How does he carry himself? Does he stand with the car as if it's only possession? Does he flaunt the fact that he owns a Bimmer? Does his wallet contain pictures of a buxom blonde bikini model leaning up against his car? Does he cherish it as though it were his only child? Is his sound system setting new decibel records? Is his mom making the payments? If any of these are true, you've got a problem.

And let's not forget, this is Canada -- that convertible better be a hardtop. There's nothing like blasting through a Winnipeg winter with only a thin piece of fabric between you and the -65 degree windchill. And here's hoping he had the sense to buy the elegant new Z4 roadster, which, incidentally, was designed by two women.

What you want to hear is that it took your guy two or three years to find just the right car. You want to know that based on his previous car experience, he knew exactly what he was looking for. You want to know that it's ok to feel the leather, or that he'll let his dog jump up on the front seat, and worry about cleaning it up later. Does he talk badly about all the cars he used to drive? And if he sees another flashy convertible, what does he do? You need to know, because these things reflect how he will treat you.

If he's Johnny-Depp cool about the whole thing, his car doesn't define him, and you're not just another possession -- lean back and enjoy the ride, preferably on warm days with the top down. And who knows? If things go really well with Convertible Guy, maybe the two of you will trade up to a 3-Series Sports Wagon full of kids someday.

On the other hand, it depends what you're both looking for. Based on your hesitation, I've assumed you're looking for a committed, mature relationship. But if you simply want to see and be seen, and he's placed all his goods in the storefront window, the two of you may hit it off famously.
I'm sick of my girlfriend writing in to these problem pages (above), she should just be happy that shes dating a guy who is not pretentious and drives a superb car (and drives it like the Stig) that is better than 99% of the other s**t that i burn off on the road every day.
I'm only dating her to get to her much better looking friend anyway who will look much better in my passenger seat while cruising and who weighs considerably less (this b**ch is ruining my power to weight ratio)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
I'm sick of my girlfriend writing in to these problem pages (above), she should just be happy that shes dating a guy who is not pretentious and drives a superb car (and drives it like the Stig) that is better than 99% of the other s**t that i burn off on the road every day.
I'm only dating her to get to her much better looking friend anyway who will look much better in my passenger seat while cruising and who weighs considerably less (this b**ch is ruining my power to weight ratio)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
jxu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

I can see why she would be worried rofl. If I were single and want to find someone who is reliable for a long-term relationship.. I would rather find someone who drives a Toyota
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
goldn
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 328i xDrive 6MT

i read this...
i wonder what the ladies think of BMW wagon owners?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
A.Kon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F10

Quote:
You don't even have a convertible!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

convertibles are gay anyways but ya what a stupid article, that broad needs a guy with a bus pass
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
goldn
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 328i xDrive 6MT

LOL, killer.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
perfectg
I pwn u
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi Q5

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
lolz
      11-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
pdude
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - Prem/MSport/AT

A: You should put-out as much as possible, realizing this will only last until he's ready to move on to something better.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
f30Seth
Futuristic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: f30 328i AW

Waste of resources. Just makes me think some people in this country have too much disposable time. I stopped reading in the first few sentences.
      11-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
Lumsden
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude View Post
A: You should put-out as much as possible, realizing this will only last until he's ready to move on to something better.
+1
      11-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92says View Post
Waste of resources. Just makes me think some people in this country have too much disposable time. I stopped reading in the first few sentences.
You realize you're spending disposable time on a message board right?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Kon View Post
You don't even have a convertible!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #18
m3pare
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: OBD1 M3.

Quote:
LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #19
MunnyGuy
Bimmer Fan
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
The post would take the article far more seriously if it read:

Question:

I just started dating a guy who drives a crappy 1995 Civic that he has festooned with lights and dubious aerodynamic parts and a stereo system worth more than the whole car. His car impresses me but what's behind the wheel? Should I cut it off now?

– Concerned of Ottawa

Now THAT'S a deal breaker!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
Iluvwhite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 335Xi

ROFL XD
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
s2catzo335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335 sedan

"My guy drives a BMW. What should I do?" ....BJ minimum, first date straight off
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #22
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Appreciate 0