E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help car stuck in park!

12-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #1
n54xdrive
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I recently lost the ability to upshift in manual mode and decided to try to retrofit paddles to my steering wheel that didn't originally come with paddles while I tackled the issue with manual mode. Soon after I lost sport mode completely and then went about fixing and retrofitting everything. Upon taking apart the center console and looking at the wires following the guide in this video:

I was able to see that I had wires which were severed just like him and repaired them. I had a separate steering wheel which came with paddles and I cut out the holes for the paddles to fit into my wheel as well as transferred over the steering wheel controls. I used this BMS retrofit harness https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...esift-retrofit and I followed their install guide to a tee: https://www.n54tech.com/instructions...tall-Guide.pdf
Install went pretty smooth and then I started up the car to test everything and had a few errors on the dash that went away but one for "gear can be changed without pressing the brake" it wasn't a transmission malfunction as other photos of the errors I've seen online look like though it was a little picture of a pedal with that message. So I backed out of my driveway to test further because I wasn't sure if that was a normal thing to pop up after what I had done and thought it might go away too. I drove off real slow and tested out every function on both paddles and they both worked however the error on the dash for "gear can be changed without pressing the brake" still remained. I came to a stop light and put it in park to test if that was indeed true and yes it let me change back into drive without hitting the brake. I drove a little bit further and pulled over on the side of the road to read codes and then I went to shift into drive and it wouldn't come out of park no matter what. I tried turning the car off, clearing codes, and nothing worked. The error on the dash still remained while I was sitting there for quite awhile and then it randomly changed to the generic "transmission malfunction drive carefully" with the picture of the yellow gear but it still would let me out of park. I had to pull apart the center console and use the emergency release to get back home but when you do that it only lets you drive in 3rd gear because it thinks there's a problem. The only reoccurring code is 004E87 and there doesn't seem to be much info out there about this code or this issue. I'm so mad this was supposed to be plug and play but I managed to turn my car into a brick somehow any advice would be much appreciated as I have no idea where to go from here I don't want to just through parts at it and I don't want to drive around in 3rd gear everywhere

EDIT: I realized that the small connector with only 2 wires that is directly above the shifter wasn't plug in and as soon as I plugged it in and started the car all my issues went away. Sorry for anyone who read all this I feel silly but hopefully this can help someone else in the future if they have similar issues.
      12-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54xdrive View Post
EDIT: I realized that the small connector with only 2 wires that is directly above the shifter wasn't plug in and as soon as I plugged it in and started the car all my issues went away. Sorry for anyone who read all this I feel silly but hopefully this can help someone else in the future if they have similar issues.
Thanks for coming back and letting us know. It's always appreciated down the road as you say.
Appreciate 1