E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > white smoke while idiling

06-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #45
C4sF80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich View Post
I also have white smoke in my car since I installed catless downpipes, someone had told me the car is running so rich because of the smell and inside the tailpipes there´s a certain kind of black carbon deposits...

Is this problem due to running cattless??
Keep in mind that when you run full catless exhaust there is a risk of more smoke. One reason is there is no filter anymore and any residual smoke from oil/fuel that would usually be burnt up in the cat will now not be. Another is that with reduced back pressure, the turbos tend to blow a little more oil pass their internal seals. Nothing that suggests they are failing, just something that is more common with turbos and open exhausts. If it you're worried about it, throw the cats back on and see if the smoking is less/gone altogether.

Also, white smoke is not just from coolant. Unburnt oil is also a cause for white smoke. For example if you have an intake valve leaking oil into the combustion chamber, or the turbo is leaking oil on the intake charge side of the engine, the oil will be burnt up in the combustion chamber causing it to look blue. However, if the oil is from an exhaust valve, or is leaking purely out of the turbine exhaust seal, that oil will not be burnt up in the combustion chamber and will appear as a white smoke coming out of the exhaust. How much smoke will let you know how bad/serious the issue really is.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #46
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Been a few months since I posted on this thread. I originally had white smoke in the engine bay and driver's side exhaust. Appeared my front turbo was burning oil but has cleared up since I installed the OCC. I'm still blaming the turbo seal but the OCC has really helped and I don't recall seeing smoke since the OCC install. I'll find out for sure when my new turbo's go on and I remove the OCC.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #47
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep
Drives: your mom wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
EXACT same issue!!! Only on drivers side. It has only happened twice, both times the car was at idle while car was warm. It went away by itself after a couple of minutes
Does it also happen when you're sitting at a light?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #48
Paul Stig
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 335I, F10 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
Possibly your turbo bearings have some play in them, allowing oil and coolant into your exhaust.
When you accellerate hard you get more white smoke

You can check your oil leveling, if there is any oil consumption, it is the turbo problem.....
sometime it will create huge somke, more than burn out,
I have this problem now, waiting for repair it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #49
Skrba
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Same here...

Same day dp`s were installed i did notice same thing.

In my case this is happening only when on idle more than 2min.

When dp`s were changed i also changed oil this time with 5w40 Castol Syntec.

Now after 300kms i went back on original BMW formula(Dealer 5w30).

Much much better!!!!!! also i have only used 6 full bottles 950ml per bottle and my oil level was at the maximum.

Before that i had 6.5lt of 5w40 and oil reading was the same.

Bottom line is now when i have 5.7lt and original oil smoke is gone!!!

It can be too much oil in the system or wrong oil...

In my case this was the problem i wish same works for you guys... Good luck !!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #50
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Banh Xeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post
You would smell antifreeze also. Nice and sweet.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #51
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Same thing here. Smoke coming out of the driver side exhaust only and only during idle and only when the coolant temp is over 200F and oil temp is less than 180F.

I am almost 100% sure its a bad turbo seal in my case because I have recently started hearing the notorious turbo whine as well.
      11-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #52
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s335i View Post
Keep in mind that when you run full catless exhaust there is a risk of more smoke. One reason is there is no filter anymore and any residual smoke from oil/fuel that would usually be burnt up in the cat will now not be. Another is that with reduced back pressure, the turbos tend to blow a little more oil pass their internal seals. Nothing that suggests they are failing, just something that is more common with turbos and open exhausts. If it you're worried about it, throw the cats back on and see if the smoking is less/gone altogether.

Also, white smoke is not just from coolant. Unburnt oil is also a cause for white smoke. For example if you have an intake valve leaking oil into the combustion chamber, or the turbo is leaking oil on the intake charge side of the engine, the oil will be burnt up in the combustion chamber causing it to look blue. However, if the oil is from an exhaust valve, or is leaking purely out of the turbine exhaust seal, that oil will not be burnt up in the combustion chamber and will appear as a white smoke coming out of the exhaust. How much smoke will let you know how bad/serious the issue really is.
This seems to an intellignet response to this issue.

I went fully catless today (HKS exhuast coupled with AR design DP that was on the car for about 2-3 weeks). I am a little worried but I will try and be patient as it seems to be common when running a catless setup. I am running the COBB stage 1 aggressive v203 map. The COBB Stage 2 has the linear throttle that I hate. I cant wait for COBB to release the Stage 2 stock throttle maps so I can feel the power without having to punch the throttle to floor to get the car going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Been a few months since I posted on this thread. I originally had white smoke in the engine bay and driver's side exhaust. Appeared my front turbo was burning oil but has cleared up since I installed the OCC. I'm still blaming the turbo seal but the OCC has really helped and I don't recall seeing smoke since the OCC install. I'll find out for sure when my new turbo's go on and I remove the OCC.
I am going to do some research into the oil catch can. I really hope this is accurate. I wont be able to stand the smoke for too long. I will have to go back to the catted set up if I cant resolve this soon. As with everyone else's issue, the smoke is coming from the driver-side exhaust pipe.

BTW - The fully catless exhaust note is fuccing nasty. I absolutely love it. The car is so damn 'SPUNKY' LOL. The turbo lag is definitely less apparent and the car is peppy and ready to run. I feel the added power and responsiveness of the throttle. I want this issue fixed so I can enjoy the car more. I cant wait to start the car tomorrow for two reasons:

1. to hear the cold start up
2. To see how bad the white smoke after warm up
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #53
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

add me to the list of smokers after going catless... rear turbo for me. More so when the car is warmed up, so switching to a heavier weight oil may help. Just changed it though, so I have another 5000 miles before finding out.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #54
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s335i View Post

I am fully catless..with AE full divorced exhaust...no smoke and running 17psi

Oil could be from PCV system as well..blowby
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #55
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

There will be some light smoke when its cold outside for sure...What outside temps are we speaking of because that is BS if someone that has cold weather dont see white smoke from condensation of the mufflers...You have a hot car and then shut it off for like an hour and then turn it on, you bet there will be whitish smoke coming from the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #56
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Light smoke at idle is common especially in colder temperatures (condensation). If it happens for a few minutes then stops, there's nothing wrong. No need to panic

If it continues to smoke after it warms up, from my experience it's generally the turbo's on these cars. Tends to happen more often on tuned cars when the turbos over spin and the seals wear prematurely.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #57
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My car is stock and doing this. Mine is happening after the car is up to operating temps (200f or higher) and especially bad after a highway jaunt and when I come to a stop. It seems to evaporate very quickly yet I have a bunch of soot buildup from it on my exhaust and on the rear bumper/trunk area. I know it is from this because there was carbon spots/black spots on those area's after the smoke/condensation came out and was a very big cloud, but it burns off very quickly like condensation would. I can repeat it, time and time again. Just 3/4 or more the car up in 1st or 2nd gear and come to a pretty quick stop and then nudge the gas, tons of it comes out the exhaust (both tailpipes).

I had taken it to the dealer but they said it was just normal water evaporation, but, this has never happened before a couple weeks ago. Temp today was 55 and humidity under 20%, so this SHOULD not happen on a day like today. Has happened in 60 degree temps, happened in 20 degree temps high humidity. No loss of oil based on the Idrive gauge, havent checked coolant but I will and will also check antifreeze but I believe the dealer did all of that as well. I find it hard to believe that this could be normal all of a sudden, stock (except for BMW Performance exhaust so basically stock).

Does anyone have any ideas on this? NO smoke/or anything at all on acceleration, just when I come to a stop after the engine has been going for a while. And it is worst after highway/sustained higher speed driving (65+ mph speeds). Is it possible the cats are putting TOO much water into the emissions? Clogged PCV? Where would I look to see if coolant was getting in? I have NO leaks on my garage floor either.
      06-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #58
cityazndan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [7.34]
Sorry to bump an old thread, but my conditions are exactly the same as the poster above. Anyone get this resolved?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #59
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@AutoCouture View Post
sounds like its just water vapor being evaporated in the exhaust. It is cold outside, and this will increase the effect of it. I doubt you have a blown headgasket, as it would linger in the air if it was coolant, oil or fuel.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #60
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

nope,

cats help evaporate water, catless = takes longer to heat up to evaporate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityazndan View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but my conditions are exactly the same as the poster above. Anyone get this resolved?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #61
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityazndan View Post
Side effect of going completely catless. If it really bothers you that much, but the OEM resonators + cats back in.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #62
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris b. View Post
do you smell fuel?injector leaking? check your plugs? a lot of n54's that come into the shop with injector failures have this condition.
I had a leaking injector but it was black smoke from running rich...I wonder if white smoke could mean this to?? I have white smoke come out of my tailpipe only when the car sits for a bit...not while driving or stopped at a stop light. It s a good deal of smoke also. Coolant is full, no residue on oil cap...I have a OCC and a robbeck upgraded valve. I do a lot of logging and the car is running perfect. I wonder if this problem above and mine are from a leaking valve cover leaking a small amount of oil into the spark plugs and when the car sits overnight the oil is a bit more...we start the car up and burn the oil. The only thing is why is the smoke white...it would have a bluish tint if it where burning oil, and a sweet smell if burning coolant. I am not fully kitty-less....have kitty-less Dps. I have a vid of this also.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #63
chris b.
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: zmp e90

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I had a leaking injector but it was black smoke from running rich...I wonder if white smoke could mean this to?? I have white smoke come out of my tailpipe only when the car sits for a bit...not while driving or stopped at a stop light. It s a good deal of smoke also. Coolant is full, no residue on oil cap...I have a OCC and a robbeck upgraded valve. I do a lot of logging and the car is running perfect. I wonder if this problem above and mine are from a leaking valve cover leaking a small amount of oil into the spark plugs and when the car sits overnight the oil is a bit more...we start the car up and burn the oil. The only thing is why is the smoke white...it would have a bluish tint if it where burning oil, and a sweet smell if burning coolant. I am not fully kitty-less....have kitty-less Dps. I have a vid of this also.
wow, quoted me from two years ago! lol

let's see this video.....

Brentuning Cobb AP pro tune -IG: @beemeraddict
2010 335i zmp fbo, 465/513 E60 mix
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #64
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris b. View Post
wow, quoted me from two years ago! lol

let's see this video.....
Oh my...I didn't realized that...but it was good info! I will upload the video now
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #65
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Vid:

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #66
Russ1anbullet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

same smoking problem here only at idle...my car has the jb4 helix upgraded turbo's and ar catless dp's and ae exhaust....bump
Appreciate 0