E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Tint shop in area that can do 15%?

07-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Tint shop in area that can do 15%?

Have yet to find a shop that will do this particular one. I know most do 50/35/20/5, but I've had 20 for a while and was wondering about this. I figured that the film could be ordered if someone wanted a particular one, but I guess its too much trouble if they don't already have it.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
jdnguye90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

http://www.freshdesignsinc.com/servi...indow-tinting/

They dont advertise 15%, but call them and ask just in case. I've had all my tinting done by them, they solve pretty much any problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

I just went through and raided the tint thread archives here lol, I've also found LA Tint who seem to be pretty reputable. They're pretty far from me and a tad expensive, but I would rather pay for a good job done the first time. And thanks man, I'll definitely check them out, as well.

Had my tinting done by Mark at National Glass Tinting and I've got seriously bad scratches on my passenger rear window. Like, DEEP scratching. Looking to go someplace else.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
toan414
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Dang, was planning to go to National Glass Tint this week based on yours and Dean's recommendation. But if yours has scratches, I might be looking for another place
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Pete Schweaty
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 750li

+1 for fresh designs. No appointments thought, just drive up and get in line.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
DLam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

i got my lexus done at LA tint and been pretty happy with so far. pricey tho
      07-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toan414 View Post
Dang, was planning to go to National Glass Tint this week based on yours and Dean's recommendation. But if yours has scratches, I might be looking for another place
Yeah I mean it was cool, you've got a coupe so maybe it will turn out different, I don't know. I'm just a perfectionist and extremely picky, so I want to go to the best place possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLam View Post
i got my lexus done at LA tint and been pretty happy with so far. pricey tho
I think that's who I'll be going with, as they also offer 15%, which seems to be a rarity around here. Price isn't something I'm concerned with, but rather the quality of the job.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

Call Matt at TNT tint. Pretty sure you can get whatever you want - he'll probably warn you that your likely hood of getting pulled over will be increased with anything higher than 35%, but hey it's your car! Top notch quality.
      07-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Had my tinting done by Mark at National Glass Tinting and I've got seriously bad scratches on my passenger rear window. Like, DEEP scratching. Looking to go someplace else.
Scratches in the tint are a well documented problem for E90 sedans. The problem is an unfelted rubber seal on the inside at the bottom of the window. Coupes have a completely felted seal. There are a couple of solutions. One is cutting off the part of the seal that's causing the problem. The other is getting tint protector molesking from tintprotector.com. I went the latter route. I've had the tint and tint protectors for two weeks through this extremely hot weather and have no scratches at all. My workplace is behind a security gate, so I'm lowering my window at least twice a day.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Laid Black 335i
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i (6MT)

Quote:
That's where I got my tint done. Was the scratch there immediately after the tint was layed down? Or did this scratch happen after the fact?

Nonetheless, I'll reinspect my tint on my lunch break. I'll report back.
      07-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugeinus View Post
Call Matt at TNT tint. Pretty sure you can get whatever you want - he'll probably warn you that your likely hood of getting pulled over will be increased with anything higher than 35%, but hey it's your car! Top notch quality.
I second this suggestion. I bet he has it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugeinus
I will definitely check him out, as well. Mark had talked me out of the 5% I was going to do initially, lol. But my 20% is just a tad light, and my next car may be black. Which means I need a bit darker.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrngway
Scratches in the tint are a well documented problem for E90 sedans. The problem is an unfelted rubber seal on the inside at the bottom of the window. Coupes have a completely felted seal. There are a couple of solutions. One is cutting off the part of the seal that's causing the problem. The other is getting tint protector molesking from tintprotector.com. I went the latter route. I've had the tint and tint protectors for two weeks through this extremely hot weather and have no scratches at all. My workplace is behind a security gate, so I'm lowering my window at least twice a day.
I have seen the moleskin technique used by certain tint shops, as well. It just annoys the hell out of me (the scratching), and I didn't even roll the windows down that often, either. Next shop I go to will hopefully employ that technique during install.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Black 335i
That's where I got my tint done. Was the scratch there immediately after the tint was layed down? Or did this scratch happen after the fact?

Nonetheless, I'll reinspect my tint on my lunch break. I'll report back.
No it happened later, I was extremely anal about rolling the windows down prematurely. The sad thing is I never even roll the rear windows down. Lol. But I think you have an E92, and apparently you don't have the liner that the E90's have that causes the scratching. I thought the tint was too thick but apparently that's not it.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

Quote:
I have seen the moleskin technique used by certain tint shops, as well. It just annoys the hell out of me (the scratching), and I didn't even roll the windows down that often, either. Next shop I go to will hopefully employ that technique during install.
Some shops won't use it. Matt at LA Tint had reservations about increased friction on the window and shortening the life of the window motor. Lookiing at our seal though, I don't think it's a problem on our cars.

Installing the moleskin isn't hard. I really took my time and had it done in an hour. If you're interested, let me know and I'll see if I can't find some instructions. You'll need a T20 bit and plastic interior tool. Basically, you pop the top of the inside door panel and you can pull the rubber seal out. Trim and stick the molesking on. Pop the door panel back in place and you're done.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnguye90 View Post
http://www.freshdesignsinc.com/servi...indow-tinting/

They dont advertise 15%, but call them and ask just in case. I've had all my tinting done by them, they solve pretty much any problem.
Looking to get my windows re-done and I called these guys. They wanted $200 for tint. However, I asked what they do to prevent the tint from scratching since BMW e9x's have a known history with this issue and they said they do not do anything to prevent it (i.e. moleskin) and they will not warranty the tint if scratches due to the weather stripping.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
forever_speed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i Jet Black

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
I second this suggestion. I bet he has it.
Matt at TNT is probably the best best in all Virginia. He has fair prices and only the highest quality work. He is located in Alexandria right across the street from BMW. I have 35% all around and love it. I would recommend you get the moleskin so there is no worries on scratching... he charges 20 a door.