Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel locks with no key

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
SLC
Rep
Drives: 2009 328XI

Wheel locks with no key

Recently purchased 2009 328i with wheel locks and no key. I have no way to trace original owner. What are my alternatives? Is there any info (VIN) etc...that might lead me to a replacement key? If not, whats the bast place, way to remove the bolt (one per wheel). Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
There are only a few brands who make OE keys. I would start with a BMW dealer's part center which should have a kit which includes all of the OE key options. If you find a match, you can order from McGuard or whoever makes it using the key's ID#. If you can't ID the key you need, there are other ways to remove it, but there is a risk of potential damage associated with some of the methods.

Let us know if you find it! Good luck!

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

OP, are these the OEM wheels? If so, the key is in the trunk by the battery under a little plastic cover. At least that is where it is in my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Had a similar issue just yesterday, my wheel lock key ridges cracked and had to get a new one. My only thought was to call BMW and ask them about it. They said you need to bring in the car so they can match the pattern to their master set. ~$45.00.. (could be less depending on your lock)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
SLC
Rep
Drives: 2009 328XI

Thanks all, for your replies. FYI. Not BMW locks. But learned that they could be McGuard.
Emailed pic to McGuard and got a fast reply confirming that they were indeed McGuard. Received new key for around $15.00, shipping extra. Great service and response in the midst of the awful snow storm that just came through here on the East Coast.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC View Post
Thanks all, for your replies. FYI. Not BMW locks. But learned that they could be McGuard.
Emailed pic to McGuard and got a fast reply confirming that they were indeed McGuard. Received new key for around $15.00, shipping extra. Great service and response in the midst of the awful snow storm that just came through here on the East Coast.
Awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you. I dealt with McGuard once before and they had me a key overnighted in a pinch. Their service really is atypically stellar for the automotive parts industry.

FYI to anyone who comes up with this in a search. Many PARTS centers at dealers will not charge for IDing the key, especially if you're nice to the parts guy, so it may be worth the walk to the parts counter before you ask your SA.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC View Post
Just curious, how do they know that it is was for your car?

Couldn't anyone just snap a picture, send them the pic, and then have a key a few days later and then steal the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
This problem can be solved really easy with a trip to sears for like 4 dollars.

Just buy a 12 point socket that is slightly smaller than the lock and hammer it on and put and turn it. Then use a screwdriver to push it back out with a hammer. Done it a ton of times and it works every time.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

Locks are a deterrent - like Bakeme says, if someone wants them it is pretty easy to get at them. Oh yeah, I have a set of OEM locks for sale.