E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Grrrr! Overspray all over my car!

10-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
madisonsfinest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Grrrr! Overspray all over my car!

Well I do not know how it could have happened but there is white overspray all over the driverside of my car! And if you didn't know my car is black! I don't paint and I've never painted anything near my car.
My car did have the front passenger corner, on the bumper, painted but it was black, and it doesn't really explain how the overspray got on the driver side and the roof!
Of course I think maybe it was done at Zimbrick BMW by Auto Color because I have seen them work on cars outside, with other cars around. I go to Auto Color and they say that it doesn't fit an overspray from them based on the the spread, and a couple groups of overspray which is inconsistent with the type of work they do. They said it looks like it came from some kind of industrial sprayer, like something that would be used in painting a light pole or something of that nature.
I have no experience with this stuff, and had no idea that what I was looking at was overspray. I thought that maybe it was soap or wax that didn't get taken off.
So I'm told its going to cost me a couple hundred dollars to have it removed!!!GRRRR!!!
I was pissed even more based on that fact that I curbed my wheel the same morning! Oh and that will be another $100 to fix, which I have to do since my wheels are black!

Can it, will it get worse?
      10-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonsfinest View Post
Well I do not know how it could have happened but there is white overspray all over the driverside of my car! And if you didn't know my car is black! I don't paint and I've never painted anything near my car.
My car did have the front passenger corner, on the bumper, painted but it was black, and it doesn't really explain how the overspray got on the driver side and the roof!
Of course I think maybe it was done at Zimbrick BMW by Auto Color because I have seen them work on cars outside, with other cars around. I go to Auto Color and they say that it doesn't fit an overspray from them based on the the spread, and a couple groups of overspray which is inconsistent with the type of work they do. They said it looks like it came from some kind of industrial sprayer, like something that would be used in painting a light pole or something of that nature.
I have no experience with this stuff, and had no idea that what I was looking at was overspray. I thought that maybe it was soap or wax that didn't get taken off.
So I'm told its going to cost me a couple hundred dollars to have it removed!!!GRRRR!!!
I was pissed even more based on that fact that I curbed my wheel the same morning! Oh and that will be another $100 to fix, which I have to do since my wheels are black!

Can it, will it get worse?
I have heard of overspray from painting in a parking lot - happened to a friend of mine at his job.

What you need to do is clay it off. That should get rid of it. Only a few bucks and a little elbow grease. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
blakjack23
Major
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Garage List
'06 325i  [0.00]
I don't think clay will take off paint, but I guess it can't hurt.

'06 325i - AT (bite me!) - Jet Black - Black leatherette - Aluminum Trim - Blacklines - 189's - M3 Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
madisonsfinest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

I guess its easier to clay off with a car that isn't dark or black like mine. You have to be careful not to make swirl marks, and I don't trust myself to be able to do it