E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan S2 to S3...

11-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #45
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
No, you are wrong. BMW does not back Dinan-modded cars. Dinan offers their own warranty that replaces the factory warranty. Maybe your dealership supports Dinan and has a relationship with them, but that is not true for all dealerships.

I would hardly call tuners like Cobb or ESS "fast-and-furious" cheap stuff. If memory serves me right, Dinan has created some pretty "fast-and-furious" products themselves.

I never said that Dinan makes poor products. This is a public forum and people are going to share their opinions. If you don't like it, go kick rocks.
You have your ill-informed opinions and I have mine based on personal experience. You're the thread-jacker here, so I think you can go suck eggs.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #46
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

So one can upgrade to S3 for $400 or another alternative is to simply add JB+ ontop of Dinan S2 (which is actually more power than S3) to add extra boost while the Dinan software still does most of the work.

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #47
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
It's funny how the few Dinan Kool Aid drinkers so vehemently defend (see overly defensive) Dinan products almost to the point of looking ridiculous, especially when they try to knock the competition and claim "safety issues" or lack of quality. It's nice to see that BuraQ has gotten away from the Cult and realized that others do software much better and it's still safe.

BMS, Vishnu and COBB have each put more R&D into their software than Dinan ever will. N54 motors are NOT blowing up or breaking anything with thousands of users pushing the envelope with these three brands. Safety is NOT an issue if you stay within the parameters that the tuner sets. 95% of COBB, BMS or Vishnu useers are never going to have an issue because they do not go outside of the paramters of the software.

If you want to talk hardware, there are plenty of brands that are as good or better than Dinan parts for much less money. FMIC? The Helix is a comparable yet better unit for HALF the price. Helix builds quality stuff. That's ONE example....plenty more can be made.

yes this was about S2 to S3 differences, but when good venders are knocked just to justify Dinan stuff it turns into something else.
And its equally interesting to see the non-Dinan fans so vehemently knock the one tuning firm that's been tuning BMWs far longer than any of the newcomers. I suppose it's jealousy or just plain ignorance, but personally, I could care less what you and all the others who are just compelled somehow to throw in their unwanted opinions when the subject matter of the post has nothing at all to do with whether or not they like Dinan products. Nobody "knocked" the other vendors like the trolls here seem to be so eager to do to Dinan, but EVERY time someone mentions Dinan, the trolls just can't WAIT to tell everyone how "unworthy" it is. So the moral of the story here is if you don't have anything relevant or worthwhile to contribute, keep your opinions to yourself and avoid arguments like this one.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #48
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

^I have 3 Dinan shops local to me, 2 of which are inside BMW dealerships.

I've had a HPFP and an injector bank replaced under warranty and have had no problems at all. My SA is a great guy, and there is where the answer lies!

As a follow up to the S3 package, the car has really impressed me and I cannot be happier with my results. I have no problem recommending it to anyone reading this and even more so if you are on the Dinan up grade pathway. It's been a bigger jump than I was expecting!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #49
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
and would rather spend the extra money for the quality than roll the dice on someone else's fast-and-furious cheap stuff.
Quote:
Nobody "knocked" the other vendors like the trolls here seem to be so eager to do to Dinan

Do you even read what you write?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #50
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
^I have 3 Dinan shops local to me, 2 of which are inside BMW dealerships.

I've had a HPFP and an injector bank replaced under warranty and have had no problems at all. My SA is a great guy, and there is where the answer lies!

As a follow up to the S3 package, the car has really impressed me and I cannot be happier with my results. I have no problem recommending it to anyone reading this and even more so if you are on the Dinan up grade pathway. It's been a bigger jump than I was expecting!
I read that you earned your Dinan badge? Which other Dinan parts do you have installed (sorry if you already mentioned it).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #51
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I read that you earned your Dinan badge? Which other Dinan parts do you have installed (sorry if you already mentioned it).
Well, that's what they said after (while my hand was shaking) I handed over the cc for payment! They had some paperwork to send in and that I would be getting a badge and they would call me after it came in and would install for free. Oh boy!!

As to my Dinan products, I have the intercooler, the oil cooler and of course the S3 flash. Frankly, looking at the Dinan website, the numbers don't add up for me(ie each Dinan product has a set number of awarded points and if you hit a certain level you get a badge). But the last time I looked my point totals were not sufficient to qualify but maybe they changed the requirements.

Either way, my plan was always to have more of a sleeper, rather than putting a sign on my car that says, vroom vroom vroom, come one come all!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #52
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And its equally interesting to see the non-Dinan fans so vehemently knock the one tuning firm that's been tuning BMWs far longer than any of the newcomers. I suppose it's jealousy or just plain ignorance, but personally, I could care less what you and all the others who are just compelled somehow to throw in their unwanted opinions when the subject matter of the post has nothing at all to do with whether or not they like Dinan products. Nobody "knocked" the other vendors like the trolls here seem to be so eager to do to Dinan, but EVERY time someone mentions Dinan, the trolls just can't WAIT to tell everyone how "unworthy" it is. So the moral of the story here is if you don't have anything relevant or worthwhile to contribute, keep your opinions to yourself and avoid arguments like this one.
You're right roundel335, there are the few that jump every time just to slam Dinan or muddy the waters for whatever reason if the topic includes Dinan but if ignored they run out of steam quickly and go away. Many here know the contributors over the malevolent, and seldom feed into it or even fall into the muck with them. Just ignore them, we're all better off for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #53
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, that's what they said after (while my hand was shaking) I handed over the cc for payment! They had some paperwork to send in and that I would be getting a badge and they would call me after it came in and would install for free. Oh boy!!

As to my Dinan products, I have the intercooler, the oil cooler and of course the S3 flash. Frankly, looking at the Dinan website, the numbers don't add up for me(ie each Dinan product has a set number of awarded points and if you hit a certain level you get a badge). But the last time I looked my point totals were not sufficient to qualify but maybe they changed the requirements.

Either way, my plan was always to have more of a sleeper, rather than putting a sign on my car that says, vroom vroom vroom, come one come all!
I hear you. My car is also a sleeper.

I didn't know that Dinan made an oil cooler. Is that new? I'd be interested in some dyno numbers if you ever get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #54
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hear you. My car is also a sleeper.

I didn't know that Dinan made an oil cooler. Is that new? I'd be interested in some dyno numbers if you ever get a chance.
I would like to get some datalogs to look at, if anyone in my locale has the program, let me know. But I did find a local shop that has a dyno and hope to get a couple of pulls off before winter hits and the car gets put away.

Not sure if the OC is a new product but it's a prerequisite for the S3. A piggyback version if your car already has one, or a full size version if your 335i didn't come with one. The latter adds $1000 to the cost I think.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #55
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
I don't care how much supposed tuning Dinan has done for how many years, their software should not be compared to BMS, Vishnu or COBB.

The other venders have been knocked plenty....lol, you must be kidding.

Ive owned Dinan software on BMWs and my opinion is that it SUCKS, especially after replacing it with another vender's software who's actually makes power. I can say this from actual experience. Have YOU tried another software brand on any BMWs you've owned? hmmmmmmmmm

The power (or lack there of) from the software is not the biggest deal for me but the prices they charge for software and hardware. Why is there $400 upcharge for software when you're already a loyal customer? Why does and intercooler have to cost $1700 when it's no better than a Helix? None of their pricing makes sense and really does nothing to help returning customers. Also, their warranties are not helpful as Ive seen several loyal customers get screwed due to hardware (exhaust) failures.

you and a few of the other Dinanites need to be dunked in a bucket of tough skin....thin skin is showing.

Last edited by bigdaddycane; 11-10-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #56
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Dinan you pay for a lot of things, but specifically that warranty, CARB certifications (no worries with visual), and the Brand Name/Marketing, which bring pride of ownership to some. All of these hold a lot of value to some people. Dinan does tend to be more conservative, but they are also on the line if something grenades in your car. Neither Shiv nor Terry will buy you a motor if it blows up, Steve Dinan will. This costs a lot of money that neither Shiv nor Terry need to spend.

Yes, you pay more for less performance, but you get other things which are VERY expensive for a company to provide.

Some people on these forums just don't get it.

If you look at my Mod List, you will see I am NOT a Dinan Fan Boi.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #57
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
how many N54 motors have we seen blown on this or other forums? Maybe 2...and one of those was pushed to the max....

Dinan's warranty is NOT 100% as I stated above. Ive seen them deny a customer for an exhaust system breaking apart because they had mist spray system in conjunction with their SC system. That's horse sh*t.

I understand that because they have the deal with BMW they have to make certain parts/software conservative to stay away from potential problems, but they make price so insanely high and for what, so you can say I have Dinan? please....

What is the other "things that are very expensive to provide"? What about customer service? Do you ever see Dinan reps on a forum? Hell no...

I gurantee you Dinan will make the process of replacing a blown motor painful before they pay out.

Plenty of us "get it" and stay away from it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #58
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:

What is the other "things that are very expensive to provide"? What about customer service? Do you ever see Dinan reps on a forum? Hell no...

I gurantee you Dinan will make the process of replacing a blown motor painful before they pay out.

This^
I was nervous about tuners other than Dinan until i actually saw how knowledgeable and well-loved Vishnu and, in particular, Shiv is. Thats when i knew that Dinan could bite it
      11-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #59
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
how many N54 motors have we seen blown on this or other forums? Maybe 2...and one of those was pushed to the max....

Dinan's warranty is NOT 100% as I stated above. Ive seen them deny a customer for an exhaust system breaking apart because they had mist spray system in conjunction with their SC system. That's horse sh*t.

I understand that because they have the deal with BMW they have to make certain parts/software conservative to stay away from potential problems, but they make price so insanely high and for what, so you can say I have Dinan? please....

The Typical Dinan Customer does not visit forums they buy something off the lot and would rather just have a dealer tech take care of their car if it doesn't work right.

Many, not all dealership techs will not work on a modded car. As there might be the occasional exception with Dinan not owning up to warranty claims, there are exceptions of dealerships who are mod friendly, but the general consensus is you remove mods when going in for warranty engine work. And the general consensus is Dinan will warranty their modded cars. As with anything people like to point out the exceptions to make a point.

I guess the Dinan Tunes are too mild to really cause any serious damage but if some freak accident, perhaps due to manufacturing etc BMW tries to blame Dinan, at least you have a more legit legal recourse, as Dinan has legally written and binding warranties.

I hate making generalities, but for the sake of this thread I will.

Typical Dinan customer:

High Income
Busy
Enthusiast, but not at the level where they need to know how everything under the hood is put together or how it works.
Loves PLUG AND PLAY, especially if they are not the ones plugging.
Loves Set it and forget it, and when the car acts up they just drop it off, you really can't have the dealer try to trouble shoot an issue with a car that has a procede or JB installed.

Typical Forum Enthusiast:

Various Incomes
OBSESSED with learning every nuance of the car
Generally (not always) on a tighter budget
More free time to visit the boards, learn and work on their cars.
OCD with a drive to squeeze every bit of performance within their more limited budgets (not always, but many times)
------------------------------------------------

Shiv and Terry are going after a different crowd, obviously there will be overlaps. If the guy likes Dinan, good for him, he has a bit of money to throw around, but will generally get more friendly dealer support for his car.

At the end we are all looking to have a good time with our toys
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch

Last edited by joec500; 11-10-2012 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #60
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
The Typical Dinan Customer does not visit forums they buy something off the lot and would rather just have a dealer tech take care of their car if it doesn't work right.

Many, not all dealership techs will not work on a modded car. As there might be the occasional exception with Dinan not owning up to warranty claims, there are exceptions of dealerships who are mod friendly, but the general consensus is you remove mods when going in for warranty engine work. And the general consensus is Dinan will warranty their modded cars. As with anything people like to point out the exceptions to make a point.

I guess the Dinan Tunes are too mild to really cause any serious damage but if some freak accident, perhaps due to manufacturing etc BMW tries to blame Dinan, at least you have a more legit legal recourse, as Dinan has legally written and binding warranties.

I hate making generalities, but for the sake of this thread I will.

Typical Dinan customer:

High Income
Busy
Enthusiast, but not at the level where they need to know how everything under the hood is put together or how it works.
Loves Set it and forget it, and when the car acts up they just drop it off, you really can't have the dealer try to trouble shoot an issue with a car that has a procede or JB installed.

Various Incomes
OCD with a drive to squeeze every bit of performance within their more limited budgets (not always, but many times)

Shiv and Terry are going after a different crowd, obviously there will be overlaps. If the guy likes Dinan, good for him, he has a bit of money to throw around, but will generally get more friendly dealer support for his car.

Not bad, sounds about right but I'd add OBSESSED to both columns, at least in my case!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #61
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not bad, sounds about right but I'd add OBSESSED to both columns, at least in my case!
Obsessed is when you have PC you keep in the car that is loaded with various Tuner Programs, NCS, INPA, BavTech and German Translators for module coding. And you keep spare Injectors, Decoupling units, and Spark Plugs in your Trunk, just in case you need to swap one out to solve a misfire that is driving you mad.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #62
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Obsessed is when you have PC you keep in the car that is loaded with various Tuner Programs, NCS, INPA, BavTech and German Translators for module coding. And you keep spare Injectors, Decoupling units, and Spark Plugs in your Trunk, just in case you need to swap one out to solve a misfire that is driving you mad.
Ah yup that seems pretty obsessive!

Dude, I dig your mod list, LSD on my wish list next spring hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #63
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

Quote:
$400 on top of what you paid for the S2 tune!?!?!?? lol

I didn't realize they legalized rape in Virginia....
So, if something goes sideways with the JB4 and it nukes your engine, what's your warranty from Burger look like

Oh, Wait..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #64
BmwECY
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Where's Barack to back up Dinan tunes. Oh, that's right, he spent an additional $1,000 for another waste of money flash. Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #65
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

Quote:

Typical Dinan customer:

High Income
Busy

Various Incomes

Thats funny because i have a very high income and I'm smart enough not to waste money. I have less than 1500 dollars into my car, I have zero issues or limp modes after 100s of quarter mile passes and i guarantee a dinan S3 would never even come close to performing on my level for more than 2X.. hell 3X the money. You definately shouldnt generalize. To each his own, but when Dinan guys act snobby, it will be even more of a joke when they run a properly tuned car.
      11-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #66
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smi1gj View Post
Thats funny because i have a very high income and I'm smart enough not to waste money. I have less than 1500 dollars into my car, I have zero issues or limp modes after 100s of quarter mile passes and i guarantee a dinan S3 would never even come close to performing on my level for more than 2X.. hell 3X the money. You definately shouldnt generalize. To each his own, but when Dinan guys act snobby, it will be even more of a joke when they run a properly tuned car.
Well a G4 program is a completely different story. My guess is most Dinan users are not interested to go so far out on the curve for a DD, at least in my case. Other brands that are cheaper I might add can do that and probably even better.

So you feel snobbed by Dinan guys? Funny I don't see much if any of that here but maybe you can read between the lines I don't know, but I've never felt other tunes were unworthy of praise and it's not obvious to me other Dinan guys feell that way either, maybe a few on the extremes but even then they mostly only come out when provoked or attacked.

As the OP, I'll say it's time the heal all this and get to the real issues...fun with the cars we love to hate and then love again when we get behind the wheel and back on the road time and time again.

Last edited by shortseller; 11-11-2012 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0