E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *Official* 6FL iPod/USB Thread

06-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #507
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
For those who have programmed a memory button for the iPod, just curious how long it takes to begin playing when you press the button. Mine is usually pretty quick, considering it has to load the data... just a few seconds.

Always starts playing at the top of the master list though... I'm getting tired of hearing that one song every time!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #508
floodland
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 328i

Greetings!

I had the same issue as you, door locks, etc when I said aux, now I use "audio aux menu" and it works fine.. I found a cheat sheet somewhere and for everything but aux it has "xxx menu" i.e. fm menu.. but for aux it says "audio aux menu".

ymmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp View Post
personally i am finding 6FL to be extremely
even more fun, the voice activation refuses to understand "AUX" under any circumstances.

me: "AUX audio."
idrive: "Time."

me "Audio Aux" / "Aux input" / etc
idrive: "Locks."

06-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #509
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
For those who have programmed a memory button for the iPod, just curious how long it takes to begin playing when you press the button. Mine is usually pretty quick, considering it has to load the data... just a few seconds.

Always starts playing at the top of the master list though... I'm getting tired of hearing that one song every time!
Mine is a second or so. I do most of my listening from a playlist that includes most of my songs. Once I set that up to be random then it always starts from where it left off and continues in random just like the iPod does by itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #510
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floodland View Post
Greetings!

I had the same issue as you, door locks, etc when I said aux, now I use "audio aux menu" and it works fine.. I found a cheat sheet somewhere and for everything but aux it has "xxx menu" i.e. fm menu.. but for aux it says "audio aux menu".

ymmv
Good sleuthing!! Thanks for posting a solution - can't wait to give it a try.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #511
DocHarvick
Happy Fan...Happy Man!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe, BS/Sad Brown

Ok, first of all, I just watched my baby roll of the transport truck, will be ready for me at noon tomorrow for pick up!!

But, I was asking my CA about the iPod hookup, and he said that very soon BMW is going to announce the capability to directly hook up smartphones like a Treo etc to the usb and basically use the phone through the system, and the phone screen will display on the screen!! Imagine, internet, email, videos...it's limitless. I'm suddenly very glad I went with my treo...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #512
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Mine is a second or so. I do most of my listening from a playlist that includes most of my songs. Once I set that up to be random then it always starts from where it left off and continues in random just like the iPod does by itself.
So if you set up your iPod for random play then it will play random thru iDrive? So everytime you stop the car and get out and get back in it pick up where you left off and continues with random? But only if you use playlist and random setting on your iPod? Correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #513
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
So if you set up your iPod for random play then it will play random thru iDrive? So everytime you stop the car and get out and get back in it pick up where you left off and continues with random? But only if you use playlist and random setting on your iPod? Correct?
I haven't really tried any other way so I don't know what else will or will not work but this is certainly one way that does work.

When I took delivery of the car I had already been listening to the iPod by itself using this playlist in random mode. When I connected it to the car (using the Y-cable) and selected AUX it started playing from where it had left off and continued through several startups of the car. A day or so later I tried some of the other features (so that I was playing other individual songs, etc.) and then went back and selected the same playlist and random using the 6FL interface. It started up the playlist (but probably not where it was before) and has been continuing in random mode through many startups for the last several weeks.

So, selecting random in this fashion via 6FL apparently sets up the iPod in the same way as selecting random directly through the iPod.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #514
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Ok, So I took someones advice here (can't remember who it was) and changed all my Genre to the first letter of the artists name to allow for easier searching on the new 6FL. So then I updated my iPod and it's gonna take 9 hours to update the Genre field on all my songs (I currently have 991 songs on my iPod)

Is this right? OMG this is gonna take forever.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #515
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Sounds like ITunes is wiping your Ipod, then filling it back. I hate it when Itunes does this. This is why i use Winamp to sync my Ipod rather than Itunes.

There has to be a way to set up "smart genres". I'd hate to manually associate all my songs to a genre everytime i add a new album
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #516
Reize
Rep
Drives: 118Dse + Aud, Comfort, Dynamic

Quote:
Ok, So I took someones advice here (can't remember who it was) and changed all my Genre to the first letter of the artists name to allow for easier searching on the new 6FL. So then I updated my iPod and it's gonna take 9 hours to update the Genre field on all my songs (I currently have 991 songs on my iPod)

Is this right? OMG this is gonna take forever.
Yep, it was my advice and that's just the way iTunes updates stuff... it doesn't. It appears to try to match all the id tags and if they don't match, it gets rid of it and puts the new version on.

It is going to take a long time, but it's worth it, trust me.

it's not quite forever, but pitty me... I've got over 6500 songs on mine! lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #517
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Your right, just because I updated the Genre field for all my songs, it wiped out my iPod and then re-loaded each song back into my iPod. I let it update overnight and this a.m. they seem to be all back...only one problem. Now all my album covers are messed up, they don't match up to the correct song. Some match most don't.

How do I fix this? When I go into iTunes, all the artwork match up correctly, however when I look at the song play on my iPod the artwork is wrong. I just tried to update the iPod again and it says it's updated but artwork is still wrong on most of my songs. Help!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #518
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reize View Post
Yep, it was my advice and that's just the way iTunes updates stuff... it doesn't. It appears to try to match all the id tags and if they don't match, it gets rid of it and puts the new version on.

It is going to take a long time, but it's worth it, trust me.

it's not quite forever, but pitty me... I've got over 6500 songs on mine! lol.
That's a lot of songs! I don't quite have half that.

Got any Zeppelin in there?

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #519
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

I just tried to deleted the artwork in iTunes for 1 song (even though it's the correct artwork) and then updated my iPod again thinking it would update the correct artwork for that song on my iPod and no luck, still showing the wrong album artwork on my iPod.

I'm sorta regretting doing this, it's messed up all my artwork.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #520
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Weird how changing the Genre would do that to the artwork. I know in my iTunes some artwork just will not download, even though I'm sure it must be in the library.

I still say the best method is to use playlists, which are easy to change, and leave the bulk of the library intact.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #521
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I wonder if iDrive could be updated to allow you to "wrap" from A to Z in the list if you scroll "up" from the beginning. That would even be an improvement - except for the titles in the middle!

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #522
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Yeah a warning to those that try this method. I found the solution but what a PITA. Like I said after I did this Genre change....the artwork in iTunes is correct but my iPod artwork is a hit or miss, some are right but most are mixed up with the wrong artwork.

What made matters worse is that because itunes is right but some of the artwork on my iPod is wrong, I couldn't tell which I needed to correct unless I looked at every single one on my iPod and wrote down which ones I needed to correct.

So my solution is this, I right clicked and copied the artwork in iTunes and then clicked and highlighted each song in that album on iTunes for that artwork and then right clicked and went to Get Info and then pasted the artwork into that little square box in Get Info and pasted the artwork into that area and it re-copied that artwork for each song for that album. Then I tested it and re-hooked up my iPod and when it went thru the update your iPod I could see it updating the artwork for that album I just corrected. Now it's correct on my iPod. Bad thing is I have to do this workaround for each album in itunes and then connect my iPod and update.

Can I have my hour back now? argh!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #523
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Guess I posted too soon, just finished updating and my artwork is still all screwed up on my iPod after doing this Genre change. What a mess, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #524
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

I'm reformatting my iPod, hope this gets back my artwork. Should know by tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #525
Reize
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
That's a lot of songs! I don't quite have half that.

Got any Zeppelin in there?
Several... IV and Houses of the Holy, of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #526
Reize
Rep

Quote:
I'm reformatting my iPod, hope this gets back my artwork. Should know by tomorrow.
Bimmerforlife, I've really got no idea what's gone wrong for you. I've got a 40Gb iPod photo and although it effectively removed every song from my iPod and replaced it, all my artwork is fine.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why yours took so long to update with only a fraction of the songs I've got on mine (are you using firewire or USB and if it's USB, is your port 1.1 or 2.0 compatible?) Even so, removing and replacing all 6000+ songs on mine took it just about 60 minutes from docking my iPod to it telling me that the update was complete. ANd that included the time it took it to check and remove each song.

Sorry you've had a problem with that, but aside from your current course of action (wiping it and starting again) I'm not sure what more I could have suggested to repair your artwork.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #527
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reize View Post
Bimmerforlife, I've really got no idea what's gone wrong for you. I've got a 40Gb iPod photo and although it effectively removed every song from my iPod and replaced it, all my artwork is fine.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why yours took so long to update with only a fraction of the songs I've got on mine (are you using firewire or USB and if it's USB, is your port 1.1 or 2.0 compatible?) Even so, removing and replacing all 6000+ songs on mine took it just about 60 minutes from docking my iPod to it telling me that the update was complete. ANd that included the time it took it to check and remove each song.

Sorry you've had a problem with that, but aside from your current course of action (wiping it and starting again) I'm not sure what more I could have suggested to repair your artwork.

Yeah I have USB 1 so it is super super slow. I've re-formatted it and have 800 more songs to update. Should be done in a few hours. Have 30GB Video iPod. 117 videos and 988 songs. I hope this fixes my artwork. Weird that iTunes is fine but the iPod artwork messed up after I did that Genre change.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #528
Reize
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I have USB 1 so it is super super slow. I've re-formatted it and have 800 more songs to update. Should be done in a few hours. Have 30GB Video iPod. 117 videos and 988 songs. I hope this fixes my artwork. Weird that iTunes is fine but the iPod artwork messed up after I did that Genre change.
I don't profess to be an iPod/iTunes guru (just an enthusiastic user) and came up with the idea of using the Genre for quickscrolling through the alphabet for myself, but I can't understand what's gone wrong for you either. It's all a bit strange.

Hope this cures it for you though. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0