E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What happened to my car??

02-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
NjPrince
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 Comp

What happened to my car??

A few days ago I'm driving and go over a small speed bump and the whole passenger rear just starts to make a clunking sound. So I go home to find my rear strut looking like this:

Now this is how its supposed to look, (driver side rear)

Now, I have a history of pothole damage to the car. These struts are fairly new (less then a year old)
Did the struts just give out or what? They're oem sport brand
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

The strut rod blew through the top hat. Others have had this happen before. Looks like you have a lot of rust on your strut rod too. Are you sure they are new? The top of the strut rod should be a hex, not like what you have. It looks like you got aftermarket struts that have rusted out.

Here is a link to the parts: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...53&hg=33&fg=45

Basically the strut rod punched through item #4, 5 and 6. You will need to replace all of them. That strut also looks shot based on the corrosion and should be replaced too. Wouldn't hurt to replace item 3 too as the bump stop is likely worn out.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
The strut rod blew through the top hat. Others have had this happen before. Looks like you have a lot of rust on your strut rod too. Are you sure they are new? The top of the strut rod should be a hex, not like what you have. It looks like you got aftermarket struts that have rusted out.

Here is a link to the parts: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...53&hg=33&fg=45

Basically the strut rod punched through item #4, 5 and 6. You will need to replace all of them. That strut also looks shot based on the corrosion and should be replaced too. Wouldn't hurt to replace item 3 too as the bump stop is likely worn out.
+1

Item 4 is the immediate culprit, but you have to replace all the rear shock bushing hardware and the shocks. You have some pretty bad corrosion issues in your neck of the woods.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
ToastOfTenacity
Nurburgring Nate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post

+1

Those don't look OEM to me, and even if they were they're basically corroded beyond recovery at this point.

2008 335i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Spectre
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
replace both rear shocks with new top mounting bushings and hardware. easy fix.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Make sure you replace both of them, and probably want to check other bushings etc with all that rust you have going on..