E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > DFW Auto Tint recommendations

01-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M3 Black/Black

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorry to revive an old thread, but figured it'd be better than a new one and it'll keep the info contained to one thread. Couple questions:

1) I have the moleskin...anyone having issues with it melting in the Texas heat before I install it?

2) Pro-Tint seems to be the place to go...will they install the moleskin for me? I really do not want to remove the door panels myself and the dealership naturally wanted to charge an arm and a leg to put it on *eye roll*. I even offered to let them do the tint job if they'd throw in the moleskin install for free, but nope....greedy bastards.

Thanks!
2015 M3 // Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Executive Package / M Double-Clutch Transmission w/ Drivelogic / 19" Black Light-Alloy Wheels / Adaptive M Suspension / Harman Kardon surround sound
Other // Shell Rotella T6 5w40
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
MattsGray335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6spd man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny214 View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but figured it'd be better than a new one and it'll keep the info contained to one thread. Couple questions:

1) I have the moleskin...anyone having issues with it melting in the Texas heat before I install it?

2) Pro-Tint seems to be the place to go...will they install the moleskin for me? I really do not want to remove the door panels myself and the dealership naturally wanted to charge an arm and a leg to put it on *eye roll*. I even offered to let them do the tint job if they'd throw in the moleskin install for free, but nope....greedy bastards.

Thanks!
I bought mole skin a couple months after getting tint installed at Pro-Tint. I installed on the passenger side door (E92), and left the driver side door stock. Honestly, I haven't had scratches on either door, nor have I had any melting issues. I hear it is hit or miss on whether or not you need mole skin, however for me I really didn't need it.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
T3X4S
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 MW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsGray335 View Post
Tint looks really good. The dot-matrix areas are done very well. I will probably go back in a couple weeks to see if there is more they can do to press down the tint around those areas. They said I could roll the windows down by Sunday, but I am going to wait just a bit longer before rolling them down.

There is also a noticeable difference in temperature with the tint, much cooler, ceramic is definitely worth the extra money.
So, I went to Pro Tint today and had the ceramic tint done. However, the dot matrix in the rear window isn't up to par. Did you go back to Pro Tint to see if they did more with the imperfections? I was planning on waiting 1-2 weeks for it to dry, but I doubt that the dot matrix portion will get any better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #26
BenġrTheBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

What purpose does the dot matrix serve? Is it some kind of glue?
      01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
MattsGray335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6spd man

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3X4S View Post
So, I went to Pro Tint today and had the ceramic tint done. However, the dot matrix in the rear window isn't up to par. Did you go back to Pro Tint to see if they did more with the imperfections? I was planning on waiting 1-2 weeks for it to dry, but I doubt that the dot matrix portion will get any better.
Go back in a few weeks, they will press the film in. It should get slightly better as the film adheres. I didn't get the chance to go back in and get it done when I got tint. The dot matrix areas are notorious for having issues with tint. I've seen some people use black vinyl on the dot matrix area (interior) for a clean look and tint up to the vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenġrTheBMW View Post
What purpose does the dot matrix serve? Is it some kind of glue?
I think the dot matrix is suppose to provide sun protection without the application of tint film. I know that in the Range Rovers and Land Rovers (circa 2004) they had a large area with dot matrix material to cover a seam/enormous gap.

Look at the bottom of the windshield.

I would guess it is an tinted or colored epoxy.

Last edited by MattsGray335; 01-11-2013 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsGray335 View Post
I've seen some people use black vinyl on the dot matrix area (interior) for a clean look and tint up to the vinyl.
That's what I have done on several of my previous cars, and I liked the results. Pro Tint did my tint on my E90 and I haven't had any problems with the dot matrix, but when/if I do I will pull the tint from that area and vinyl it.

I would wait until the weather consistently warms up a bit before having them address any issues, unless it is extremely unsightly. Temperature extremes + New Tint is not a winning combo.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
T3X4S
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 MW M3

Garage List
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will wait a few weeks and see.
Appreciate 0