E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW iPhone 5 Snap-In Adapter is Coming... Next June

10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb BMW iPhone 5 Snap-In Adapter is Coming... Next June

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW iPhone 5 Snap-In Adapter is Coming... Next June
COMMENTS
Name:  bmwiphone5a.jpg
Views: 3158
Size:  204.3 KB

Apple recently released its iPhone 5 and with it came a change to its connector from the previous 30-pin to the new 8-pin 'Lightning' connector.

This change unfortunately means that the new iPhone will no longer work with BMW's current iPhone snap-in-adapters. So when can we expect the the new adapters for the iPhone 5 from BMW?

We've learned that BMW has already started work on the snap-in-adapters for the newest iPhone. The changes however, are said to be quite complex (due to the new connector) and development will therefore require some months to complete. The estimated delivery time frame is approximately 7 months and it's anticipated to be ready in June 2013.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Good news but longer than I would have expected.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Well, the iPhone iPod Out will require that the video D/A converter circuitry be integrated into the actual snap in so it is understandable that it will take some time to develop and be released.

I would expect a significant price increase as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Personally, I am hoping that someone comes out with a Lightning-to-30-pin cable that will include a DAC for video in it. I could then plug this in to my current Media snap-in adapter and run the cable out to my phone. I like this more than the snap-in anyways. My 4S would get VERY hot in the snap in adapter (even with the little fan) and it was rather annoying to launch Pandora or BMW Apps with the phone docked in.

Here's hoping some company can cobble this cable together sometime soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Personally, I am hoping that someone comes out with a Lightning-to-30-pin cable that will include a DAC for video in it. I could then plug this in to my current Media snap-in adapter and run the cable out to my phone. I like this more than the snap-in anyways. My 4S would get VERY hot in the snap in adapter (even with the little fan) and it was rather annoying to launch Pandora or BMW Apps with the phone docked in.

Here's hoping some company can cobble this cable together sometime soon.
There is a reason of your iPhone 4S getting that hot while playing video/streaming: power usage. That's the same reason video output was removed from the iPhone 5.

Something tells me that the power requirement for an external video DAC will exceed the USB power output of the Combox. That may be the reason that Apple did not include video output in the Lightning->30 pin adapter: it needs an external power supply.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There is a reason of your iPhone 4S getting that hot while playing video/streaming: power usage. That's the same reason video output was removed from the iPhone 5.

Something tells me that the power requirement for an external video DAC will exceed the USB power output of the Combox. That may be the reason that Apple did not include video output in the Lightning->30 pin adapter: it needs an external power supply.
It may be that the power requirements for a video DAC were too high for USB power. I am still going to hope though.

I will say it got hot even when I wasn't running video. I use Pandora a lot and you have to leave the app open and the screen on in order for BMW Apps to work. This resulted in a lot of heat. It is really annoying actually. I would love to lock the screen while listening to Pandora but for some reason Apple makes the app disconnect from the car when you do that.

The best solution here would be for Apple to allow for external devices to open apps. Then you could just dock the phone and select the function in idrive and the app would load. Since this will likely never happen I prefer to have my phone out of the dock to make it easier to bring up the apps I need.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post

The best solution here would be for Apple to allow for external devices to open apps. Then you could just dock the phone and select the function in idrive and the app would load. Since this will likely never happen I prefer to have my phone out of the dock to make it easier to bring up the apps I need.
Pioneer (AppRadio) can do that right now, which makes it a BMW Apps limitation than an Apple evil plot.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

In either case, my point stands. With the current design it is easier to have a cable than a dock (at least in my opinion).
Appreciate 0