E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How much is detailing a new car?

03-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe Msport AW

How much is detailing a new car?

I've been dropping in this forum once in a while, and I must say I really don't know anything about detailing. I've never even heard of a 2 bucket method. I usually just wash my cars at the local car wash running it through the machines and some illegals from down south drying it and wiping down the doors and windows and a vacuum. Of course, I've never really had a nice car, my current daily driver is a 4runner.

However, I have ordered a AlpineWhite new 335i coupe, and I plan to baby this car, considering I'm shelling out a lot of money for it. I expect it to come in around middle of May.

I've been hearing some of you say the dealers never do a good job cleaning it up for you when they receive the car. And I would like my new baby to start off with a good life. So what detailer in the Nor Cal area would you recommend?
Specifically I live in Fremont and don't want to travel too far. How much is a recommended price point and for what services for a new car cleanup? Maybe I can just tell the dealer to clean up the interior, I'm sure they can't mess that up.

Is a good detail something that I can do myself? What kind of products do I need to get started and how much should I spend? I'm not looking to go into advanced detailing, just something to get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Holy Cow - take your pic man: you're lucky to live in an area with so many top notch quality guys.

Bob Willis of Auto Concierge is one of the best in the nation, Aaron of AC Detailing has made a lot of high end clients happy, and you also have board sponsor DetailAddict.com around your area.

I'd recommend you start off by called Nick or one of the other guys from Detail Addict, or even stopping by. You'll need to learn the basics, and also stock up on some quality products (they stock a lot of nice enthusiast / pro style supplies for sale). Having such a shop close by would be a huge advantage in learning proper technique and getting to know a few different products (maybe they'll even let you try before you buy?).

Congrats on the new 3 series, and props for wanting to care for her properly. Better start by doing a lot of research!

g/l and happy detailing!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Dont have the dealer wash it.... then just wash it yourself by hand with quality soaps, mitts, and MF towels.

Then lay down some protection with a quality sealant or wax.

Plenty of information in the stickies.

The dealer usually does the most damage so just not letting them wash it is the best step you can take in protection.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannana speed View Post
Care to explain what you disagree with??

Since your's is AW the appearance will be much better from the dealer than a dark colored car but they still do relatively sloppy work. Personally I'd say a solid one step with a seal from a good pro detailer like the ones suggested and then learn the proper wash and dry techniques and add some products and skills over time to your own abilities. It's always best to start with a clean palate to work from and no need to break the bank day one. I won't guess at cost as I'm sure I could/would be wildly wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

just got quoted $440 to fully detail my car.

hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

thanks Marc!

feel free to give us a call (408-988-2400) or email us at sales @detailaddict.com!

Leo
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

new car prep is right around $250...basically a wash, light clay, light polishing, paintwork cleanser, sealant wax.

Now if you are like one of my clients, I planned on doing that process to his car, but when I got there and stripped whatever was on the car covering the damage up, a 3 step is going to be needed - 105, 203, 85rd. now, I could skip the 85rd step and make it a two step, but I feel 85rd adds too much gloss NOT to perform that step. it really sets off the look of the car IMO.

Aaron, Bob, DA...cant really go wrong here...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

I would also suggest Aaron from www.ACDetailing.net for top notch work!

Greg
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Your days of going to the local machine/multiple cars per rag cleaning places are OVER if you want to keep your new car nice.

Heck, if you still have the 4Runner, there's time for you to learn on it and get them both into nice shape.

WARNING - detailing is worse than crack
Appreciate 0