E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Just how good is the M3 suspension upgrade

08-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Just how good is the M3 suspension upgrade

Track once a month, auto-x probably 6-10 times a year.

I know quite a few of you have it, but just how close is it to the e9x m3.

I priced it out to be just south of $3000 for everything (front control arms, rear bushings, rear guide rod kit, rear upper link kit, rear subframe bushings, camber conversion kit with dampers/springs for the tckline DAs). That's not too bad if it's as poised and balanced as the m3 with the edge of the tck's, but usually, initial review threads are a bit slanted because, well, newness (and the fact that it came out of your pocket) makes you want to think everything is fantastic.

I'd probably wait until early next spring, because I need to look into a secondary oil cooler first and i'm looking at second cars, but I like to plan ahead.

So, now that the newness has settled, do you feel it was worth it? Parts you think are/aren't necessary?
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=M3+Suspension

plenty to read, trust me I did it all last weekend
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Tischer has the parts for $1705. I have a hard time figuring out complete system prices from the HPAutowerks site, but what you want is either the AST or Koni systems w/ Swift springs & rear lower camber link kit and I think you are around 5k including the M3 parts from Tischer. If you can get the TCKs instead and keep your costs under 3k that is awesome. I think it is critical to get the lot as a complete system, no weak links. Expect at least 1k for install. $ well spent IMO.

I have all the M3 parts except the rear camber link, BMW Perf dampers & springs, and just a 14mm rear sway. It is an OK system for the street, I was on a budget and the total for parts and install was well under 3k.

I have a hard time figuring out "value" for mods. To do things right you need about 7k for the engine (FMIC, BMW Perf kit, flash or piggy, DPs, exhaust), 4-7k for suspension, 4 or 5k for forged wheels and extreme non-rfts, 2-3k for LSD, and whatever you want for body/interior and brakes. So one could easily take a 45k 335 and end up with a 70k beast. Crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
vladster
Private First Class
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 ci

I'm wondering if any1 also tryed to replace the wheel hubs to m3 spec. I hear they are alloy and are probably lighter ?

Puting 5K for suspension is alot, if you combine also the 7k engine upgrade, you are better off buying an M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

M3 vs. modded 335 is a can of worms. 335 better fuel efficiency, lower insurance, and with mods can perform better. But resale of mods is bad.

I would love to get the upcoming M3 with turbo 6, especially if weight is under 3200 lbs.
But the supersport 335 will also be awesome. Ditto the super lightweight Z2. Great choices up ahead, makes one think twice about squandering $ that could be saved for a new car in a few years...

Smart thing to do is buy BMW stock now instead of buying mods, sell stock when you want new model. Alternatively, mod your car as you need new parts anyway over time, and keep it for many years.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Modding is a pretty horrible financial decision in general but it sure is fun! I'm trying to fight the mod bug away right now... but am curious to know what others have to say about this post.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Thanks Doc and JDLM (even though you basically told me to hit the search button like I'm a noob). I have some thinking to do!
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
Thanks Doc and JDLM (even though you basically told me to hit the search button like I'm a noob). I have some thinking to do!
Shouldn't make such an obvious post

I am looking to budget and break my purchases up the wife would kill me if I just did it all at once

I got the strut bar, now trying to decide the next part. I am thinking M3 sways, and go from there
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

A big part of upgrading suspension is labor, and there is some overlap. Plus you have to worry about getting an alignment for most changes. Modding piecemeal results in a system that is not balanced until you are finally finished. It's not like engine mods (FMIC, DPs, tune etc.) that are fine when done by themselves.

Sway bars are the last mod I would make. Dampers, springs, bushings are more critical. Plus the rear sway is a PITA expensive install. For the street, a decent set of coilovers like Bilstein is probably the most significant change you can make. For another 1k or so you can begin to look at some of the custom systems that HPAutowerks has. Forged wheels & extreme non-rfts are another key improvement.

AcAvenger has an admirable list of mods IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
A big part of upgrading suspension is labor, and there is some overlap. Plus you have to worry about getting an alignment for most changes. Modding piecemeal results in a system that is not balanced until you are finally finished. It's not like engine mods (FMIC, DPs, tune etc.) that are fine when done by themselves.

Sway bars are the last mod I would make. Dampers, springs, bushings are more critical. Plus the rear sway is a huge PITA expensive install.
Which bushings exactly?

I have read through the above posts and see the mention of them, just trying to pinpoint the exacts
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

The M3 suspension parts (control arms etc.) have different bushings. Rear sub-frame and final drive bushings are also critical. The rft-tuned suspension uses spongy bushings to isolate shock from stiff sidewalls. Strut and shock mounts are more difficult to find appropriate upgrades for.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
Track once a month, auto-x probably 6-10 times a year.

I know quite a few of you have it, but just how close is it to the e9x m3.

I priced it out to be just south of $3000 for everything (front control arms, rear bushings, rear guide rod kit, rear upper link kit, rear subframe bushings, camber conversion kit with dampers/springs for the tckline DAs). That's not too bad if it's as poised and balanced as the m3 with the edge of the tck's, but usually, initial review threads are a bit slanted because, well, newness (and the fact that it came out of your pocket) makes you want to think everything is fantastic.

I'd probably wait until early next spring, because I need to look into a secondary oil cooler first and i'm looking at second cars, but I like to plan ahead.

So, now that the newness has settled, do you feel it was worth it? Parts you think are/aren't necessary?
You know I am only a phone call away!

The M3 suspension components will be a good match for the TCK DA's you have.

Harold
Appreciate 0