E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > hard waterspots on glass

05-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #23
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
i have some hard water marks myself any suggestions
Ahh! Bad memories of winter! Weather is just getting warmer and nicer, don't remind me of that nonsense!

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #24
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
I was just kiddin' bro ........

Do you really have the water spots?

yea but i tried the 3m compound to take it off. it worked. but man if you car isnt really really clean like wash and clay bar then it is a b%tch to get rubbing compound off.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #25
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
yea but i tried the 3m compound to take it off. it worked. but man if you car isnt really really clean like wash and clay bar then it is a b%tch to get rubbing compound off.
Oh yeah .......... been there.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #26
F1 Fanatikko
REGISTERED
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sparkling Graphite e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiza21 View Post
I tried vinegar with newspaper and still didnt remove them, any sugestions???

Thanks!
I used the same method and it did work for me, but it kind of took awhile to come off, it took 5 tries for it to go away..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 08:54 PM   #27
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
I have a feeling you're going to be claying your car before too much longer, huh???

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #28
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
I have a feeling you're going to be claying your car before too much longer, huh???

well i have the clay bar but i dont know how use it. i know you use water it with a a liquid but i dont know which one. i just orderd one of those pc 7424 so now im waiting. i had one of those cheap walmart buffers but it broke yesterday. any advice on these type of water marks?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #29
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Firstly, when claying your car you'll need to use a quality QD for a lube between the clay and paint surface. The quick detailer enables a better lubricity than water will/does.

I have a feeling clay will remove most of the marks and then a light polishing should most likely take care of whatever is left. Did you already get your polish as well? Pads?

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #30
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
what is "QD" and where do i get it? ok this may sound silly but is there a difference between polish and wax?

this is the package i bought. doesnt come with anything but the pads and buffer. http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...rter-Kit-P138/
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #31
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
what is "QD" and where do i get it? ok this may sound silly but is there a difference between polish and wax?

this is the package i bought. doesnt come with anything but the pads and buffer. http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...rter-Kit-P138/
QD = Quick Detailer

You'll probably want to try polishing with the white pad AFTER you've clayed the car. I'm sure the water etching (if any are left) will come out with the white pad using a somewhat fine grade of polish. You bought a great kit .......... something else you'll want to do when polishing is to spritz the polishing pad with some of the QD to help the polish to spread and not dry out to quickly.

Polish and wax are different.

Polish is mainly used to remove lite to medium defects in the paint. Compounds are a very abrasive form of polish for heavily marred paint and/or deep scratches. Compound used by someone inexperienced can damage a car's paint in no time.

Wax is a protective coating that really has limited longevity. Most people will use wax as an intensifier to the paint for a deeper gloss/shine. Typically, wax will last 1-2 months depending on what type of environment (daily driver, parked outside, frequency of washes).

Sealer gives a longer lasting protection however it doesn't give the added beautification of the wax. This is why many people who use a sealer will also top the sealer with a quality carnauba wax. Sealer typically lasts 3-5 months again, dependant on the variables.

I prefer to seal only after polishing and then maintaining with a carnauba wax afterward.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #32
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
can i still use this pc on the windows like i did before? how do i go about getting wax and/or compund out of the rubber going along the windows?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #33
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
can i still use this pc on the windows like i did before? how do i go about getting wax and/or compund out of the rubber going along the windows?
You can use it on the windows IF you have no other alternative. The glass can also be cleaned using Windex and mild steel wool. Don't use the steel wool on the mirrors ........ just the door windows and front & back winshields.

To prevent getting any compound, polish and/or wax on the exterior trim you'll want to mask these areas off with blue painters tape. I say the painters tape because it leaves no residue behind, adheres well and is easy to remove when you've finished polishing the paint.

If you already have compound on the trim then I'm guessing you may have rub marks from the buffer pad as well, right? If this is the case then all you can do is dress the black trim with a trim cleaner/dressing/restorer. If you do have rub marks then they are most likely there to stay until you replace the trim.
To remove just the compound from the trim you could lightly clean the areas with a scotch bright pad and cleaner like Goo-Gone. Mask off the painted areas to keep from scratching the paint first. Only use enough product for that particular spot so as to not have product reaching the paint.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #34
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
i use the painters tape when im taking long trips so i dont get my car splattered with bugs and rocks. whats a good polish and wax to use? i usually use some scratch x from meguairs to get rid of swirls, then i use meguiars nxt nano wax.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #35
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
i use the painters tape when im taking long trips so i dont get my car splattered with bugs and rocks. whats a good polish and wax to use? i usually use some scratch x from meguairs to get rid of swirls, then i use meguiars nxt nano wax.
I like the Menzerna products thru Detailed Image for polishing. As far as wax goes I'm pretty biased in that I like the Dodo Juice soft waxes. I've heard great things about Natty's Blue and have had great results with Chemical Guys 50/50 & Pete's 53. All of these are found on DI.

My favorite these days is the Supernatural ... spendy @ $200 though. I'll try Swissvax next ......

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #36
Binary
Elderly Member
England
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne x45e on order

I had the same problem on my merc rear windscreen and I got the marks of with jewlers rouge, not sure about using it on paintwork but it really works on glass.