E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Alternate Turbo Upgrade Thread

02-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #45
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post
I don't know about that. My clutch holds 420whp on strained turbos pretty well. I am sure another 100whp and a lot less load will help.

OMG, what are those?????

Thanks for the information Shiv. I know you are giving the community what they want in a big high hp single turbo, but did you ever think about having a twin setup with smaller turbos? I would assume a bigger turbo would be easier to fabricate with more single turbo applications and easier to sell but just curious. Thanks.
There isn't a lot of space for twin Garret turbos (that don't reuse factory housing/manifold, that is). And ultimately, a twin turbo that flows X CFM combined won't perform as well as a single turbo that flows X CFM. The twin turbo will suffer from roughly twice the mechanical inefficiencies since tolerances between wheel and housings are largely limited by manufacturing method. So you will have two small turbos with relatively big tolerances vs 1 big turbo will relatively small tolerance. With twins, you also have the potential for one turbo doing slightly more work than the other due to uneven wear. This, in turn, will make 3 cylinders operate in different conditions than the other 3.

Back it the day, twin turbos could provide better boost response than a big single due to having less rotational inertial. But now that we have billet wheels and ceramic ball bearing, that benefit is largely lost since modern large frame turbos dramatically outperform smaller frame turbos from the 90s in terms of boost response (and power of course).

At the end of the day, a properly sized single turbo will make the most power with the least trade off, all other things equal. It will also be more reliable and induce the least stress on the engine. But IMNO, if you are going to go with upgraded twins, direct replacement units (RB/ASR/TD) are the way to go in terms of bang for the buck.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #46
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
It's getting very exciting in terms of options. Looking forward to see the different single options. the stage differences, drivability, install feedback (from the first independents that do them), other hardware limits that come along and have to be dealt with,etc. Also, wondering what the state of development on the N54 will be when we see the what the new m3 FI motor has to offer.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
the new m3 FI motor
my next love but plenty of time to still enjoy the N54
Appreciate 0